If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Thyroid

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Thyroid

I hope everyone is doing well.

I got my thyroid results the other day and it appears I have hypothyroidism, which I kind of figured, but was waiting for the numbers to agree.
    My TSH is high and my Free T4 is low. What would be the best med for me to take. Is there something that I should absolutely NOT take?

I am seeing a new Dr today(finally dumped the she-devil), and will be going in assuming he knows nothing about HCM. I hope I will be pleasantly surprised.

Thanks
    Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Re: Thyroid

The conventional treatment for hypothyroid is levothyroxine or synthetic T-4 hormone. This is what Synthroid, Levoxyl, etc. are made of, and is what most doctors prescribe. It comes in different doseages, so your doctor will decide where to start you, and to titrate you upwards if you need it.

Some doctors add another hormone - T-3 - which is the active form of the hormone. The body takes the T-4 and converts some of it to T-3 naturally, but some feel that actually taking the T-3, called Cytomel, helps people feel better.

For heart patients, T-3 or Cytomel is probably dangerous. Overdoses of any thyroid hormone can cause palpitations, and T-3 is the kind that can cause them quickly. T-4 is more long acting, and takes a long time to build up in your system.

I have always been careful to AVOID T-3 (although frankly traditional doctors will not usually prescribe it), and I have always been careful to make sure my TSH doesn't go below 2, and when I increase, I do it very slowly.

I hope this helps. Let me know if I give you any more info.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Thanks, I have heard about T3 causing palpitations. I don't need to deal with those anymore than I already do. Unfortunately I feel really crappy and wonder if I would feel any better without the T3. I have also heard some controversy about synthroid. I am new to all this...

The Dr I saw the other day wanted to take all new tests, including T3 and antibodies (?). So I have to wait until next Thrusday.

Pam
      It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

It sounds like your doctor knows what he or she is doing. The antibodies test is to see if you have Hashimoto's Disease, which is the usual cause of hypothyroidism. I have this also. My thyroid has gradually been petering out over the last few years.

If your T-3 is low, then you will have to see what is the best way of treating that. I take Synthroid only, but also take selenium, a vitamin which aids in the conversion of T-4 to T-3, but doesn't cause palpitations.

Just be sure your doc knows about your heart problems,

Good luck. Let me know how it goes. I have to tell you when I started out with thyroid disease, I didn't really know about my HCM, and I attributed alot of my heart symptoms to thyroid. Now that I am being properly treated for both, I don't even worry about the thyroid at all. I really do go by the numbers.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X