If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

?'s about HCM and ICD

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ?'s about HCM and ICD

[?'s about HCM and ICD]

Author: Carrie (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 05-29-02 00:24

Hi. My name is Carrie and I'm new to this forum. My mom came on when I was first diagnosed with IHSS/HCM and she said that everyone was very helpful.

I just graduated college and I'm looking for both a summer job and a teaching job for next fall. My surgery is tentativly scheduled for June 26.

I guess my big question is how much can you do IMMEDIATELY after the ICD is implanted? I plan on talking to the surgeon the day before I get the ICD implanted but I live in the Chicago area and I'm having the surgery done in Minnesota. But I have all of these questions and no one to answer them for me.

I got offered a job today to work at a daycare where I would be in charge of children 6 mo.-4 years. I won't have a problem right now but after the surgery, can I go back to work? I'm guessing that I can but I'm not going to be able to pick kids up though right? So, I'm pretty sure I'm going to have to say no this job.

I'm getting married July 2003 and I would really like to work this summer so that I can save the money for the wedding. How much can you do after the ICD is implanted? How long do I have to wait to drive, exercise, teach?

I know I have a lot of questions so I appreciate any and all information you can give me. Thank you!

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: ?'s about HCM and ICD]

Author: Bob (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-29-02 01:30

Hi Carrie,

The restrictions vary with each individual case, and you should speak to your doctor. In my case, l was restricted from most exercise, lifting more than ten pounds, or driving, for two weeks. after that I was allowed to resume most normal activity. However, I was cautioned against raising my left elbow above my shuolder height (including swimming) for 2 months, to allow the leads to become firmly encased in the heart. Driving depends more on your past history. Having never experienced syncope, or vfib, I was permitted to drive after 2 weeks, but I am aware of cases where a six-month, event-free wait was required. Check with your doctor and the motor vehicle reg's for your State.

By the way, I received my implant 2 months ago and am feeling great with it, so , not-to-worry, I'm sure you'll do fine. Yoy might also want to check the www.Zaplife.org website, which is dedicated to this subject.

Good Luck,

Bob

Author: Sarah B-Board Moderator (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 05-29-02 03:35

Dear Carrie

I live in Oak Park. I don't have an ICD but I've had HCM since I was 13. I've been to the Mayo 4 times. I would be happy to talk to you about any/all of my experiences and answer questions, etc. Please e-mail me by clicking on my name.

From what others have posted, Bob is correct that it all varies. Most people are able to resume a normal life after a few weeks of recovery.

After the HCMA meeting this weekend, you can schedule some time to talk to LIsa, HCMA president, who also has an ICD and is great on advice.

looking forward to hearing from you. (PS I'm 33)

Sarah

Author: AJ (---.netcarrier.net)

Date: 05-29-02 08:33

Hi, Carrie,

I received an ICD when I was 20 and had it replaced when I was 26. I was told exactly the same things that Bob mentioned. Everything returned back to normal in about two weeks with the caution to not raise my left elbow above my shoulder. As Bob mentioned, this is due to the leads. Because of how leads run from the ICD to the heart, they can be damanged by certain movements of the arm (at least, that's what I was told--check with you doctor).

I was actually going into ventricular taccychardia before I received the ICD, so it is very comforting to have it. I feel great, and I don't even notice that it's there anymore. My device is from Medtronic. They have great information on their website---www.medtronic.com--explaining things you need to be aware of when you have an ICD.

Good luck with your surgery. Mayo is definately the place to be (I just had a myectomy there in April). Also, best of luck finding a teaching job for the fall!

Best wished,

AJ

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-29-02 16:08

Hello,

The truth regarding ICD's..the first few days are not fun, then it's fine. Within 10 days to 2 weeks you should be feeling pretty good. After my 1st ICD I went to work 5 days later ( I did have someone drive me), honestly I should have stayed home for a few more days, but I am a workaholic, if you didnt notice (ha ha). My second ICD, I was out of work for 1 week, then back with just a little pain at the implant site.

Lifting will be the issue for you...AND... little kids have a habit of moving very fast and banging their sweet little head directly into your chest, as my daughter did many many times (she was 2 at my first implant). To say the least it hurts...but nothing you cant get though. You must give the leads time to set... so it is very important not to lift anything heavy for between 2-4 weeks, check with your doctor they will give you the weight limits.

You really should discuss the procedure with your employer. If it is a problem for them you should seek other employment for the summer. Remember to keep your eyes on the long term goal, the ICD is really more important they a few dollars. (I know...money is important but so is your life)

All the Best,

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

Author: karen (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-29-02 19:03

Hi Carrie,

My husband had his ICD implanted in June 2001 and basically followed the same route as Bob. He was sore for about a week. He too has runs of v tachycardia so it's nice to know it's there as a back up.

Carrie, it's important for you to ask these questions now, don't wait till the day before the surgery to speak to your surgeon. You are allowed to ask. You'll probably feel more comfortable, more relaxed once your questions have been answered, especially since the surgery is still a month away.

I understand the $$ issues with the wedding and wanting to save, you'll have the rest of your life to do so...give yourself a break. Welcome to this message board, it's great! I told my 19 year old daughter about a few times. She was diagnosed a few months ago, I hope she makes her way to the board as you did.

Congratulations on your graduation! Take care. Karen

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-29-02 19:35

Hey Karen your right I forgot to congratulate Carrie on her graduation!

CONGRATULATIONS AND BEST WISHES!

Dont let this HCM stuff detract you from all the excitement of your future...remember we are always here to lend an ear when you need us.

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X