If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiac Rehab

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lisa Salberg
    replied
    Re: Cardiac Rehab

That is very misleading information. I will be contacting the school and requesting that data be reviewed.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Hi Burton,

I've had several doctors ask me if my HCM was caused by a history of high blood pressure. In fact the first cardiologist to suspect I even had it, told me that IHSS stood for Idiopathic Hypertensive Subaortic Stenosis. In researching HCM on the web (before I found you all of course) I came across many sites that propose a link between high blood pressure and hypertrophic cardiomyopathy.

Like this one:

http://www.umm.edu/ency/article/000192.htm

Who knows for sure?

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Obviously a slip of the tongue. My cardiologist is opening his own office one of these days. The replacement cardiologist was showing off his knowledge of HCM (After I had to tell him what the initials stood for). He said, “Some people are born with it, and some people get it later in life from other causes – like high blood pressure for example.” I didn’t bother asking him how you could get a genetic disease from high blood pressure – I just fled.

Reminds me of a reporter asking Einstein if he could get a story and take a few pictures when atomic energy information was first released to the public. He wanted to take a picture of Einstein holding an atom, another of him splitting it, and a third holding the two halves. (I could picture Einstein asking if he had a very small camera.) - - or was it Fermi?

Not to worry my friend. They will actually set up the proper program for you. Asking for the date of your bypass was in all likelihood a conditioned response, and not a function of their mental acuity.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Hi All,

Well... I had a little 'get acquainted' session with the cardiac rehab folks today. I won't officially start the program until next week, but I had some paperwork to drop off and wanted to check out the facility. I was very excited when she told me that 'Of course we have experience with HCM patients and we will design your program specifically with that in mind'. Woo hoo! BUT then my hopes were quickly and cruelly dashed when she asked 'Now what was the date of your bypass surgery?'

Arrrrrrrrrrrrgh!!!

I'll keep ya posted.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied

I did cardiac rehab for about 2 years. Although, I had never had cardiac surgery other than the implant. I was their youngest ever at 21. For the first few weeks I was picked on by the old people. I never got used to the music though. Although, they did try to keep it about thirty years before I was born!

Should have seen the look on their faces when they heard the CD they let me bring in once. Probably would have caused a few coranaries if they had actually played it!

But all in all it was an awesome experience and I learned my limits with exercising. just gotta figure it out with the rest of my life.

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied

Since most of us leave town for our Myectomy-the hospital can't really set up the Rehab. At Mayo, they suggested I "check it out" with my Insurance Company when I got home. I had too many "problems" at that time, so my rehab is happenning now, after my bypass. In speaking with my Insurance co, last week, they indicated that for them to pay"rehab must begin within 90 days of the cardiac event"

Leave a comment:

• karen
    replied

I had surgery also for my HCM and never had any type of rehab. They just sent me home, and that was it.

Leave a comment:

• shirleymahoney
    replied

Well i was never told to do rehab either so i guess it's the doctors that make the difference, i checked into it and even if they did it was going to cost me too much out of pocket, my husband just got me a gym

Shirley

Leave a comment:

• bryan
    replied

I was wondering cause almost a year ago my mother got endocarditis. They had to do open heart surgery to get calcium deposits out from behind her valve. While doing this they also preformed a triple bypass, and repaired her valve. She was never recommended to go to cardiac rehab. Could this be cause she was sick? She says she still feels weak, and not even close to how she use to feel.

Leave a comment:

• Ronnie
    replied

I just hung up the phone, speaking with my Insurance Co, checking my coverage for Rehab-I was told I can have 2 18 session programs, which is great!
    My Rehab program has Phase II & Phase III, Phase II is 18 sessions (I'm half way thru) & Phase III is infintessimal. I've spoken to folks who have been going for over 5 years - quite a testimony!
    I'd like to go forever-it's been so positive & strengthening!
    To the person who questioned appropriateness of Rehab - it's for everyone who has had a "Cardiac Event" - there's a guy in my program who had a mild M.I. (wake up call).
    Yup Jim, mine is a group program & the room is full. Actually, it's motivitatine to have company-plus the time goes by so quickly, when there are people to talk to.
    Have Fun

Leave a comment:

• LynnS
    replied

Hi Jim,

I used the full 12 weeks of rehab that my insurance paid for. It allowed me the time to really feel more strong and secure in a setting that was monitored. Following the 12 weeks of Phase 2 (the one you'll be entering now, phase 1 is anything you would get in the room at the hospital) my rehab center offered Phase 4 for unmonitored working out for a nominal monthly fee. For me, it afforded me the ability to still maintain contact with the exercise physiologist and nurses and the ability to be monitored on an 'as need basis' if I began having problems. Additionally, I liked being able to work out in an environment that was supportive of individuals with heart/pulmonary restrictions instead of heading to a gym where I would be surrounded by folks that may might not even be able to spell "EKG" let alone know what it was .

As for rehab being a group versus individual/personal trainer type of environment I think it depends on the facility. Yes I came in with a 'group' of folks at a certain time of day but I never worked out on the same piece of equipment for the same length of time as them. It was all personalized for me and I worked at my own pace and directly 1:1 with my physiologist and a nurse checking my vitals and exertion levels.

Re: resistance training. Check with the good doctor in CCF on what he wants to limit you at with these. However, at my rehab we used resistance bands which afford strength and toning without putting the vasal vagal (bearing down) effect into place as you do with weight lifting. The bands are effective and you work more on numbers of repetitions versus the amount of weight you are lifting.

Hope this is helpful...I'm off to trim bushes (in the shade) in this nice 66 degree morning we are having for a change!!
    Lynn

Leave a comment:

• bryan
    replied

Is rehab usually done after a myectomy? How about a Bypass? Does it all depend on your situation?

Leave a comment:

• Tigger1
    replied

Jim,

At my rehab., they told me that after six weeks if I was doing good I could step up to a more intense work out. It all had to do with my recomended heart rate. This is set by your cardioligist. I'm going to step up after six weeks if I can. this will give me a total of 12 weeks...

Tigger1

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Thanks for the responses...

I wasn't sure how much i needed to prepare in advance for this, or if they would make sure that my individual program was specifically tailored for HCM. I'll make sure to prepare a packet ahead of time with the general exercise guidelines for HCM and review it with the folks there. This is my first experience with rehab of course, so i really don't much about it. I guess i was under the mistaken impression that it was mostly one-on-one, sort of like a personal trainer at the gym, but from your posts it sounds more like a group situation.

Another question: If my orders are for a six-week program, but my insurance will pay for twelve, would there be any benefit to requesting an extended rehab period, or would that just be overkill? If the extra six-weeks allowed for more advanced workouts than the regular program, i would be all over that... however if it's just six more weeks of the same thing, perhaps it wouldn't be worth my while?

I'm really hoping for some strength training to be honest, but i have a feeling this is mostly going to be aerobics. I know that weight-lifting in general is a big no-no for us, but i sure would like to get back into some of that, even if it's on the light side. I lifted for a lot of years and didn't have a problem, but perhaps i was just damn lucky.

Thanks again... i really am chomping at the bit to get started!

Jim

Leave a comment:

• LynnS
    replied

Hi Jim,

I did my cardiac rehab last year and really found it to be very beneficial. The exercise physiologist and nurses at my rehab were familiar with HCM but I still requested that a medical packet from the HCMA office be sent to them and they were very appreciative.

My rehab program was excellent and my feedback and comments on how I felt during the workout AND the day after was integral. I used my HCM specalists guidelines for my abilities/limits and made them known to the rehab folks. I found them to be very responsive.

I did attend the 'classes' that they offered with the rehab program but discussed in advance which were important for me to attend with the exercise physiologist. For instance, I didn't attend the one on recovery from stents or bypass surgery but did attend the effects of stress on the heart class.

All the best for a continued great recovery!
    L

Leave a comment:

Working...
X