If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Cardiac Rehab

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Cardiac Rehab

Howdy Folks,

I am really excited about starting cardiac rehab here in a few weeks. Finally... to get back into a regular exercise routine and start getting myself back into shape again... woo hoo! While at the same time having someone there who can help me do it safely. I do have a question however... Is cardiac rehab structured any differently for an HCM'er than it is for other types of heart patients, or is it pretty much the same for everybody? I live in a fairly small town, and was told i'll be going to rehab at the local hospital. I'm not sure how familiar they will be with HCM or if there are any special exercise needs because of that. Is this even a factor?

Thanks for any input,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Cardiac Rehab

Hi Jim,
    It’s great to see you’re still improving, and healing well. You had us all concerned for a while there, but I think you’re now out of the tunnel – wasn’t the headlight of an oncoming train after all.

About cardiac rehab – As far as I could tell it’s all the same, and that is – individualized. When you first go in you are evaluated and an exercise plan is structured for you personally. I do not believe being an HCM patient plays a part in the evaluation to any great extent – if at all. It’s more where you are physically, and what your body is capable of. When you exercise you are hooked to a monitor to insure that you do not exceed your body’s capabilities. Periodically you are re-evaluated and the exercise levels adjusted accordingly.

I’ve seen people shuffle in for their first session looking like they might not make it to a chair and others, on a treadmill, running up mountains. Back in 1985, when I had my first encounter with cardiac rehab, I was a long way yet from being identified as an HCM patient, but even then it inhibited me to the point where I was only allowed very minor activity. That heart monitor tells the story.

I hear you when you say you will be in a small town hospital, but have no worries on that score. You might just get better, more individualized care then being a patient in a crowded hospital. When it comes to rehab, as long as the hospital can afford the treadmills, bikes and other equipment, size has nothing to do with care.

Just think – every day in every way you’re getting better and better. Soon you won’t even remember the handicaps of the past. Go get ‘em, Jim.
    Burt

Comment

Dear Jim

From what I've read here, cardiac rehab is geared to heart attack/bypass patients and they will give you a long, blank stare when you say "HCM."

Make sure the person in charge of your rehab has talked to your HCM doctor and gotten the heart rate parameters for you and any other specifics they need.

Take care,

S

Comment

Jim,

I started cardiac rehab last week. I am 49 and in a class with 3 other men well into their 60's. When one of the rehab ladies first contacted me about when my classes start she was all excited when see saw I had a septal myectomy. They had never had one in their class before. Now this was a Health Care Center at a major hospital in the Cincinnati area.

They ladies that work the rehab. area had only heard about what a septal myectomy was at seminars they had attended out of town.

On my first day, they told me they had done some research on the internet and were very interested in anything I could tell the procerdure and about HCM in general. I told them about this website and on the next day I took in my packet and book from the HCM Association. All 8 of the staff wanted to read the book and wanted to know were they could get a copy of it.

My rehab begins with the 3 point hook up moniter I were the entire time I'm there. One of the staff watches your heart beat during the rehab. They also do 3 EKG's during my session. They also take my BP about 5 times. Next I do warm-up, then it's 20 min on the treadmill. After that I do 5 min of arm and shoulder on a different machine, they several different types. Then 5 min on a leg machine, usually an Air-Dyne Bike. I then finish up wth 5 more min on an arm and shoulder machine. Then cool down exercises and I'm finished. They set all the machines at a level that keeps your heart working at a middle of the road pace. They don't want you to push yourself. Yet.

My insurance covers 90% for 12 weeks, 3 times a week. Each session cost me $8.00 out of pocket.

Good luck with your rehab. Let me know how it's going...

Pat Ekardt
        (Tigger1)
        " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Jim-

I'm just starting my 3rd week of Rehab & I LOVE IT! It's making me feel STRONG!
          i live in a suburb of Detroit & go to the Rehab Center hooked to the Major Hospital (huge Cardia Dept) I'm their 1st HCM patient - I had to use the words IHSS, at 1st , because they were cluless! I have to weigh in, have my Blood pressure taken & wear a Monitor (same as all atendees) The 1st day (I had to go to an orientatioin & fill out a book on my history) they pointed at me& I heard them whisper "she has IHSS" to each other!
          I think the only thing you want to double check with your DR is how high does he want your Heart rate to go? What about your blood pressure?
          I go to rehab 3 ams a week & my Insurance will pay for 8 weeks. This is truly a highlight to my week. I feel sooooo much better!
          I know you'll enjoy it & find great benefit
          BE WELL
          RONNIE

Comment

Hi Jim,

I did my cardiac rehab last year and really found it to be very beneficial. The exercise physiologist and nurses at my rehab were familiar with HCM but I still requested that a medical packet from the HCMA office be sent to them and they were very appreciative.

My rehab program was excellent and my feedback and comments on how I felt during the workout AND the day after was integral. I used my HCM specalists guidelines for my abilities/limits and made them known to the rehab folks. I found them to be very responsive.

I did attend the 'classes' that they offered with the rehab program but discussed in advance which were important for me to attend with the exercise physiologist. For instance, I didn't attend the one on recovery from stents or bypass surgery but did attend the effects of stress on the heart class.

All the best for a continued great recovery!
            L
            Lynn Stewart
            HOCM 4/2002
            Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Thanks for the responses...

I wasn't sure how much i needed to prepare in advance for this, or if they would make sure that my individual program was specifically tailored for HCM. I'll make sure to prepare a packet ahead of time with the general exercise guidelines for HCM and review it with the folks there. This is my first experience with rehab of course, so i really don't much about it. I guess i was under the mistaken impression that it was mostly one-on-one, sort of like a personal trainer at the gym, but from your posts it sounds more like a group situation.

Another question: If my orders are for a six-week program, but my insurance will pay for twelve, would there be any benefit to requesting an extended rehab period, or would that just be overkill? If the extra six-weeks allowed for more advanced workouts than the regular program, i would be all over that... however if it's just six more weeks of the same thing, perhaps it wouldn't be worth my while?

I'm really hoping for some strength training to be honest, but i have a feeling this is mostly going to be aerobics. I know that weight-lifting in general is a big no-no for us, but i sure would like to get back into some of that, even if it's on the light side. I lifted for a lot of years and didn't have a problem, but perhaps i was just damn lucky.

Thanks again... i really am chomping at the bit to get started!

Jim
              "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Jim,

At my rehab., they told me that after six weeks if I was doing good I could step up to a more intense work out. It all had to do with my recomended heart rate. This is set by your cardioligist. I'm going to step up after six weeks if I can. this will give me a total of 12 weeks...

Tigger1
                " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Is rehab usually done after a myectomy? How about a Bypass? Does it all depend on your situation?

Comment

Hi Jim,

I used the full 12 weeks of rehab that my insurance paid for. It allowed me the time to really feel more strong and secure in a setting that was monitored. Following the 12 weeks of Phase 2 (the one you'll be entering now, phase 1 is anything you would get in the room at the hospital) my rehab center offered Phase 4 for unmonitored working out for a nominal monthly fee. For me, it afforded me the ability to still maintain contact with the exercise physiologist and nurses and the ability to be monitored on an 'as need basis' if I began having problems. Additionally, I liked being able to work out in an environment that was supportive of individuals with heart/pulmonary restrictions instead of heading to a gym where I would be surrounded by folks that may might not even be able to spell "EKG" let alone know what it was .

As for rehab being a group versus individual/personal trainer type of environment I think it depends on the facility. Yes I came in with a 'group' of folks at a certain time of day but I never worked out on the same piece of equipment for the same length of time as them. It was all personalized for me and I worked at my own pace and directly 1:1 with my physiologist and a nurse checking my vitals and exertion levels.

Re: resistance training. Check with the good doctor in CCF on what he wants to limit you at with these. However, at my rehab we used resistance bands which afford strength and toning without putting the vasal vagal (bearing down) effect into place as you do with weight lifting. The bands are effective and you work more on numbers of repetitions versus the amount of weight you are lifting.

Hope this is helpful...I'm off to trim bushes (in the shade) in this nice 66 degree morning we are having for a change!!
                    Lynn
                    Lynn Stewart
                    HOCM 4/2002
                    Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

I just hung up the phone, speaking with my Insurance Co, checking my coverage for Rehab-I was told I can have 2 18 session programs, which is great!
                      My Rehab program has Phase II & Phase III, Phase II is 18 sessions (I'm half way thru) & Phase III is infintessimal. I've spoken to folks who have been going for over 5 years - quite a testimony!
                      I'd like to go forever-it's been so positive & strengthening!
                      To the person who questioned appropriateness of Rehab - it's for everyone who has had a "Cardiac Event" - there's a guy in my program who had a mild M.I. (wake up call).
                      Yup Jim, mine is a group program & the room is full. Actually, it's motivitatine to have company-plus the time goes by so quickly, when there are people to talk to.
                      Have Fun
                      RONNIE

Comment

I was wondering cause almost a year ago my mother got endocarditis. They had to do open heart surgery to get calcium deposits out from behind her valve. While doing this they also preformed a triple bypass, and repaired her valve. She was never recommended to go to cardiac rehab. Could this be cause she was sick? She says she still feels weak, and not even close to how she use to feel.

Comment

Well i was never told to do rehab either so i guess it's the doctors that make the difference, i checked into it and even if they did it was going to cost me too much out of pocket, my husband just got me a gym

Shirley
                          Diagnosed 2003
                          Myectomy 2-23-2004
                          Husband: Ken
                          Son: John diagnosed 2004
                          Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

I had surgery also for my HCM and never had any type of rehab. They just sent me home, and that was it.
                            Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

Since most of us leave town for our Myectomy-the hospital can't really set up the Rehab. At Mayo, they suggested I "check it out" with my Insurance Company when I got home. I had too many "problems" at that time, so my rehab is happenning now, after my bypass. In speaking with my Insurance co, last week, they indicated that for them to pay"rehab must begin within 90 days of the cardiac event"
                              RONNIE

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X