If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Canadian medical regulations

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbygirl2
    replied
    Re: Canadian medical regulations

Thanks for giving me your experience with all this. My GP is right here in my hometown, she was the one I requested the copies from. I do plan to request copies when I see my cardiologist next week.

Take care
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Brownie
    replied

Hi, Pam:

I began asking for copies of test results after we had everyone screened for HCM, and never had a problem. Even at Sick Kids in Toronto I was allowed copies. They are your medical records, not the doctor's.

I do remember, however, when our youngest was briefly hospitalized for RSV as an infant, the nurse told me I couldn't read her chart on my own, but would have to wait until the doctor was there to go through it with me.

I'm not sure how convenient it would be for you, since you need to travel some to see your doctor (if I remember correctly), but I have always found that showing up in person to make a request yields much better results. Also, I have never been charged for the copies of individual tests, although there is a charge to copy an entire file.

Don't give up.

Abby

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

Burt, you are super. Thanks so much for doing that for me. I am going to check out the website and make a copy just in case I have to remind the nurse(or Dr). You are such a gem.

Thanks
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hi Pam,
    Down here in your Southern Neighbors, the law clearly states that if a patient requests his/her medical records in writing, it must be supplied to them. The provider may charge a reasonable fee for copying these records, (ie: Xerox and labor costs), but the records MUST be supplied. Generally, when supplying records to another physician the fees are waived. I thought the law would probably be the same or similar in Canada – and a quick google search brought up this - -
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    In the case of McInerney v MacDonald, the Supreme Court of Canada ruled that the information kept by physicians in patient's medical records is held in trust for the patient and that therefore the patient is entitled to have access to that information upon reasonable request. No stamp or other restriction can limit the patient's access to the information or interfere with the patient's right to have a copy of that information or have a copy forwarded to an agency.

My advice to the physician was that since his patient had consented to the release of information to the disability agency, he should prepare a medically proper report and submit it. If the agency and the patient request specific information, it should be provided including copies of whatever particular documents are relevant. Stamps that prohibit copying of the documents should be ignored in these circumstances.

If common sense suggests that the patient might not appreciate having embarrassing information from past history released for the purposes at hand, the doctor may wish to check with the patient and clarify the matter.
    Under Canadian law, while the doctor may own the papers and the folder which constitute the patient's medical record, it is now clear that the information in the record is the property of the patient and may be accessed, copied and distributed by the patient upon reasonable notice and upon payment of a reasonable fee for the physician's services in making the copies.

As always, if questions arise concerning these issues, the Physician Advisory Service at the College would be pleased to help.

http://www.cpso.on.ca/Publications/D.../cpsohelps.htm
    -------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
    Hope this is of help. - Burt

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    started a topic Canadian medical regulations

Canadian medical regulations

I am trying to get copies of all my tests for the past 6 months(if you will recall, when I got to my '2nd opinion' appointment a few weeks back NONE of my tests had been sent).
    Anyway the nurse said my Dr would have to approve it first, she didn't seem certain whether I would be able to obtain copies for my own file. I have been waiting a week already to find out if I can get them, and plan to call and harrass them on Monday.
    Does anyone know why I might not be able to get my own test results? Why would I need the Dr's approval? I go back to my new cardiologist next week and REALLY want to take my results with me...just in case.

Thanks
    Pam

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X