If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Mary S is at it again.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Burton Borrok Find out more about Burton Borrok
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Mary S is at it again.

Well Folks,
    If you think Jim has been pushing things to far, just listen to what our little girl went and did last week.

First she pulled a 48 hour work week at the hospital, then six hours at Disney, and then she goes and pulls a volunteer shift with the EMS emergency crew. She even squeezed in a little time to go hang out with her friends. (She said she almost passed out at work, and they had to go get her with a wheelchair.)

And what did that buy her? Of course – she’s back in her own bed at the hospital. She called me last night from the ER, and they admitted her for a few days. Her electrolytes were off, and she had fluid problems. She even succeeded in being dehydrated and having CHF at the same time. They did a CT scan and did not find anymore clots, but the doctor said she still might have small ones the scan didn’t catch that were giving her problems (her right leg has been hurting and cramping.) To play it safe she is on a Heparin drip with a touch of narcotic. She wandered off in the hospital and the nurses had to go get her and help her back to bed. (I think they should put her on a leash. Hopefully the narcotic will slow her down some.)

How could such a smart girl act so foolishly? It’s beyond me. Anyway, if you want to call her, her number at the hospital is (321) 841 – 0578. She will be there at least for today and tomorrow – unless she sneaks out and pulls another EMS shift, or something else equally foolish. What’s a poor grandpa to do? Aunt Lisa, I wish you would give her a good talking to.
    Burt

Re: Mary S is at it again.

Ah, Mary, Mary, Mary!

We all want to spank you but we all love you anyway! Get well!

Rhoda

Comment

Mary Mary quite contrary

You better behave yourself girl, i guess you really missed all those people at the hospital huh

BE GOOD
      Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Mary, I know it is hard to slow donw when you are so young, but you need to say no sometimes. It is hard for people pleasers like you, you wish to help all that ask and the ones that don't ask.

We love you and care for you alot. So please take care of yourself or we will have to have Burt and Lisa come and sit on you till you learn to slow down. I am sorry for being a pain in the neck ( yeah, that's it, a pain in the neck not someplace else that my husband likes to call me.) We just worry about you.

Hope you get to go home soon. Let us know when you get home and that you are doing better.
        Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Mary,

From reading posts, I understand you are very young. I agree with what Donna posted. You're young and have the energy, but if you push it too much, that's what is going to happen --- ending up in the E.R. You've got to take care of yourself first.
          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Another update on Mary.
            I’m sorry; I talked to her this morning and then had to run to an endocrinologist appointment. This is the first chance I’ve had to post it.

They are going to check her problems with her right leg, - suspecting Sciatica.
            They did another scan of her left leg and found a blood clot behind the kneecap. She’s still on a Heparin drip, but thinks they will switch to stomach shots starting tomorrow.
            She’s still a bit woozy, gets SOB and tires easily, so I suspect she’s still getting some narcotic, has a continuing water problem and possibly CHF.

More to follow. I hope with better news.
            Burt

Comment

Mary

Hang in there hun, i can feel your pain with the fluid issue i have sooo much fluid on me i can't hardly move without pain, i go tomorrow to DMV and pick-up the form form my handicap plackard, Mary you are in my prayers girl rest and get well

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004
              Husband: Ken
              Son: John diagnosed 2004
              Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Mary,
                Hang in there. We are all pulling for you!
                \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

I am on the phone with Mary. She said she is doing OK and may go home today!!!!!
                  Her cell phone is working.

Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Well,

I'm home and feeling a bit tired still. I'm kicking myself in the hind end for this little escapade. How could I have been so stupid. I've gotten plenty of lectures already but the big one will be on the 13th. My local cardiologist was quite upset. And I guess he has every right to.

I just was feeling so good and then I had to ruin it for myself. Maybe with a few days rest I'll be up to doing some stuff. This whole sciatica thing has me down to. Pain down the back of my right leg. I also can't figure out what is up with all of these clots!

Anyhow, thanks for the pep talks and the lectures. Aunt Lisa and Grandpa Burt I'm so sorry for being an idiot

Mary S.

Comment

Mary,

We're just glad you're home and doing somewhat better! Have a good rest and don't believe the lie that you are only worth what you accomplish. You are worth a lot to all of us if you just sit or lie around and relax (at least as long as you keep posting here so we know you are OK ).

Rhoda

Comment

Mary, good to see your feeling better.
                        No more lectures, just get better.
                        Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                        So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                        Good luck and stay well.
                        Glen

Comment

Mary,

So glad to hear that you are back home, buddy! Let's hope you don't have to go back there anytime soon, shall we? Oh... and no lectures from me. I haven't exactly been a brainiac lately either

I'll call or chat you soon,

Jim
                          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Hi Folks,

I spoke to Mary last night, and again this evening... there just doesn't seem to be an end to the poor girl's troubles. She had an allergic reaction to the morphine this morning and didn't have such a fun time with that. They still don't know what caused her blackout and it looks like she's going to be there in the hospital for a while longer while they run more tests. I know Burton calls her regularly, and posted her number elsewhere on the board, but i thought i'd post it again here if anyone would like to call. She sounds like she could use all the friendly words she can get right now, and seemed eager to hear from people.

Mary Sharp
                            (407) 303-8110
                            Room 212
                            Bed 2

Thanks,

Jim
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I tried to call yesterday and got no answer at her bed. Thanks for the update.

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X