If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

my feet....swelling

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• my feet....swelling

Morning all,

Last night as I sat at my computer for 3+ hours my feet were a bit swollen. My hands felt a bit tight but I didn't notice swelling anywhere else. My feet were hanging down although they were touching the floor.(Not dangling) I weighed myself and had not gone up any. What are the reasons for swelling with HCM or maybe not related to HCM I don't know.

This isn't the first time, but it doesn't happen often, and always after sitting with my legs hanging for an extended period of time.

Thanks all

Oh, one more thing I might as well throw in here. I went to the dentist twice last week, was premedicated, all went well. I am finally done with all that. Anyway, when are you out of that danger zone for endocarditis? Is it something that would happen immediately, or should I still watch for symptoms?

Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Re: my feet....swelling

Pam,

The only time that I have is swelling in my hands is when I'm dehydrated.
    And I mainly notice it because my rings are starting to get tight on my fingers. When I notice that I know that I did not drink enough water for the day and need to catch up.

Hope that helps,
    Fred

Comment

Hi Pam,
      Endocarditis is something I never had, don’t want, and am very happy without. If you are always pre-medicated your chances of getting it are just about nil, but I was told that if you do get it you would know all about it in a day or two. It is an infection in the heart after all, and you know how quickly you become aware of infections. Rest easy dearheart, you’re home free.

About your legs/ankles/feet swelling at the computer – this can and does happen to a lot of people with and without HCM, especially as the years start to sneak away. (Don’t worry – it could very easily be HCM and not the years. You’ve still got a long way to go.)

From the pressure of your feet being down from standing and/or sitting for extended periods, the arterial system starts to leak some fluid, which of course settles from the pull of gravity. (When I’m at the computer – especially in the evenings – my shoes get so tight I just have to take them off.) In the morning, after being horizontal all night, my legs are usually fine. I do, from time to time have a water problem also, with an optional bout of CHF, so I don’t always wake up with my legs back to normal, but that’s another story.

I guess the laws of gravity work in Canada too. – No respect for sovereignty.
      Burt

Comment

The only time my feet (around the ankle area) will swell is when it is really hot and humid..doesn't happen often, just a few times. I do know that people with "normal" hearts have this happen when they are in an airplane for a period of time. I know people who have said their feet were swollen after a long trip
        \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Thanks for all the replies, its the top of my feet and up near the toes that swell, in case that makes a difference. My card. always asks me if I have noticed any swelling round my ankles and so far I haven't, but I am not sure if it means the same when just your feet swell(not ankles). Or maybe I am just not noticing the ankle swelling...ugh there is too much to think(worry) about.

I just ASSUMED here in Canada where gravity is nil, I wouldn't have to worry about the swelling BURT!!!

Take care,
          Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Now don’t go flying off the earth Pam,

I’ve been to Canada many times and know your gravity works just fine. When we were in Seattle we would run up to Vancouver a couple of times a month and never once lifted off. We also checked out the east coast when we lived in New York. It’s fine there too.

Tell your doctor about the swelling of your feet when you see him again. He is asking about your ankles because that is the usual place to notice it, but we are all different and react differently in various situations. At the end of the day, at the computer, I’m kicking off my shoes because of the swelling in my feet too, but then my ankles and legs also swell, and at times my whole body starts off acting like a water bag. Guess we’ll just go sloshing along until they find a remedy for this silly situation.

You know, by squeezing your feet you can push the water around. If you feel in the mood maybe you could squeeze the water out of your feet and into your ankles. That way when the doctor asks, you can just say yes. It wouldn’t prove anything, but it may be a fun pastime.
            Burt

Comment

Hey Burt-
              If Pam can move the fluid in her feet, up towards her ankles - can I relocate the fat around my middle to my calves?
              Pam, next time the Dr asks about swelling - any where on your body - tell him about your feet. If he/she doesn't ask - tell him/her about your feet. My feet & hands swell, it means I'm retaining fluids (sometimes the scale does not relect that immediately) I need to take diuretics for this. Try to cut back on your Sodium intake, be aware of the fact that all prepackaged foods & most restaurant food contain lots of Sodium. Things like Kethup (is that Catsup in Canada?) you may have to live without, canned soups, veggies etc - it's amazing how much crap we don't need to ingest, are added to out food supply
              RONNIE

Comment

Hi Ronnie,
                I really don’t know about moving your fat to your calves. I’ve only succeeded in moving my fat to my head.

We tend to avoid canned vegetables in favor of the fresh or fresh frozen types. We do eat out a lot, and I try to avoid the foods where they dump in the salt. I do wish there was some type of devise you could use to extract the salt from restaurant food though. Sometimes I take the wrong thing on the buffet line, and it burns my mouth.

Actually, I have so many ailments restricting what I eat, there’s not a food on this earth that is not restricted for one reason or another. I just move my selections around to avoid abusing one condition more then another. By the way, I’m now up to 120 units of insulin a day, and still getting into the three hundred readings. What a thrill.
                Burt

Comment

Burt, these are terrible readings. I will pray that you get that diabetes under control. Have you or the docs ever considered a pump?

Rhoda

Comment

Ketchup?? Whats ketchup?? We don't have that here in Canada.. Actually I do say/spell it 'Ketchup'.

I try to avoid salty foods, and usually only eat fresh/frozen vegies. I seldom put salt on anything. My feet and hands have been a bit puffy on and off for the past couple days, although always go back to normal after laying down for a while. I will make sure I ask my Dr about it...thanks for the help.

Pam

Comment

Hi Rhoda,
                      Yeah, the diabetes numbers are still horrible, but believe it or not, they are improving. In one month the Glycohemoglobin A1c went from 10.1 to 9.8. A long way from the 7 to 8 that is acceptable, but moving in the right direction.

We talked about a pump a little while ago, but I would still have to test my blood sugar levels, select the dosage, and hit the release button. I would also spend a lot of time refilling the darned thing. It’s simpler to just give myself a shot before meals and going to bed. I did talk to the endocrinologist today and he said I could adjust the dosages upward if I was going to eat a big meal, but at least initially I would have to be doing a lot of testing to see what the effects are.

I also added a third lipid medication in the past month, and that pulled all the numbers down except the triglycerides. My major problems now are SOB, chest and shoulder pains, and stamina which is all but non-existent. I’m OK driving, but getting to and from the car in this heat really stinks. Ah well, four more months and the heat will start to moderate again. Take care Rhoda – and please keep us informed.
                      Burt

PS - I've resigned from the malody of the month club.

Comment

Burt-
                        You ALWAYS make me laugh - I Love it! Sorry to hear your number are so high, I used to work for Roche (AccuCheck Division) too bad I've given all my Strips & Monitors away! I know how difficult controling the disease can be, not to mention your other struggles!
                        So funny when you write about dinning out - at a Buffet - only in Vegas (my most favorite city)
                        When I left Mayo they told me to restrict my Sodium to 600 mg - good luck if you make reservations for dinner! We eat at home a lot & I cook everything from scratch. So many times when I'm in a restaurant, I just can't eat the food, because the "Salt" taste is so strong, it burns, then I look around & see people pouring on more!
                        RONNIE

Comment

Let’s face it Ronnie,
                          Life can get pretty darned funny at times. Who says G-d doesn’t have a sense of the ridicules? – Frankly, sometimes I think that’s why He invented doctors, and then gave them specialties so they could spend their time disagreeing with each other.

“Don’t eat any foods with potassium; it’s no good for you.” “Here’s a prescription for 20 mg potassium tablets, take one a day without fail.” Yes of course doctors, I shall do both immediately.

I saw my proctologist the other day and said, “Hello doctor. Would you mind if we don’t shake hands?”

Loony tunes – take 17.
                          Burt

Comment

Hi All,

On the issue of swelling feet, the last 6 months before I had my ablation my ankles were swelled most of the time and was worse when I sat for a long period of time. The last month before the procedure my hands had begun to swell also. The last time my feet or hands were swollen, was on the trip to S.C. to have my ablation. That was Jan. of 2002 and I actually have little ankles now.

Connie
                            The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

Connie, I am glad you are doing better now. Even though my ankles don't swell they are not 'little' I wish!!
                              Right now the swelling seems minor, sometimes they simply feel tight with no noticeable swelling. I know I am not dehydrated so am not sure what is causing it, but it has me worried.

Pam

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X