If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Fluid retention

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Fluid retention

I was wondering the places you can retain fluid? Theres times my hands balloon up, and it feels like my stomach feels bloated. I thought 9not to get to personal) that my stomach could be gas, but I dont seem to be passing any.eeew When all this happens my ankles arent swelled or anything but I am really short of breath.

Thanks,
    Bryan

Re: Fluid retention

Bryan,

What you are describing sounds like fluid retention to me. I also get the swollen abdomen and fingers, although my feet and toes swell as well. The most serious thing probably is the shortness of breath. That definitely sounds like chf. See your doctor as soon as possible, please!

Rhoda

Comment

Hi Bryan, Isn't the humidity awfull today and yesterday? There have been some recent postings with regards to the heat and humidity about increasing just these same symptoms. Shirley has been having problems me and a several others. These are the same for me over these last few days from doing too much and the increasing heat and humidity. It is starting to move down to my lungs today and I will have to increase my diuretics and be diligent with my daily weights and watch my symptoms. I can't remember if Dr. Maron has you on any fluid pills. The SOB needs to be addressed ASAP. At any rate ,I think a phone call to Dr. Maron is in order. These can all be signs of CHF , that can stem from low cardiac volume output . Which is the type most HCMers seem to complain about .From the stiffness of the left ventricle. It is not usually that they detect fluid in my lungs or even my feet until it is about 15- 20 pounds up. So be carefull in this heat and give them a call at NEMC. Pam. Oh and I do get the abdominal girth increase and hands tight and swollen, as well if you check as with pushing on your lower arms you may see a lot of color blanching ; so it is more spread around your body.
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hi All,

I thought i'd join in on the fluid retention bandwagon, since i'm a big water-filled balloon myself right now. Bryan, you can retain water just about anywhere there's tissue that'll hold it. Everyone's a bit different, and in fact i've only recently discovered that my ankles and feet are among the last body parts to balloon up. Now when i see the swelling there, i know i'm already in big trouble. I see it in my face, belly and groin area first, and it feels a lot different than regular old bodyfat... my stomach just kinda sticks right out there disproportionately, and has a very different feel to it when i poke it. I thought i was packing around extra fluid for a very long time, but all the doctors dismissed it because my ankles weren't swollen. That was an incorrect assumption on their part. It wasn't until my feet finally did swell up big time last month, that i discovered i was in CHF. Hope that you get to feeling better soon.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thank you guys for your reply. I put a call into Dr MAron yesterday, but missed the call back. So im sure I will talk to him today.

Bryan

Comment

Hey Bryan,

Just wondering what you found out about your fluid issues?

Jim
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

my grandfather retained all his fluid in his stomach.

Comment

Well, I spoke with Dr Maron on Thursday and he said it sounds like I am retaining fluid, but he couldnt say for sure without seeing me. He prescribed a small dose of Lasix for me and I feel better. Hope all is well with everyone else.

Bryan

Comment

Bryan,

Glad you're feeling better!

Rhoda

Comment

Yeah i have good days and very bad days with fluid My doc seems to think it is CHF, but who knows I think they are all guessing but i'm going over to my sons for a cook out today to celebrate Fathers Day

BY THE WAY ALL YOU FATHERS OUT THERE

HAPPY FATHERS DAY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Shirley
                    Diagnosed 2003
                    Myectomy 2-23-2004
                    Husband: Ken
                    Son: John diagnosed 2004
                    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today was my first fathers day... and Ill admitt it, when I opened up the card some watery substance was flowing from my eyes

Comment

Bryan,

That's the best way to get rid of fluid!!!
                        Rhoda

Comment

...once again i am relieved and thankful to have found this site.
                          my fiance also suffers from swelling- esp in his feet and toes. sometimes it is so painful that he can't walk. the doctors have dismissed it as the gout and prescribed allopurinol- which does relieve the swelling.

is this common? also, what is chf?

THANK YOU!

Comment

Vanessa,

CHF is congestive heart failure. It causes swelling of various parts of the body.

It is possible that your boyfriend has chf, but he could also have gout, which is far more painful to the feet than the effects of chf. At least for me when my feet swell badly the skin gets stretched and somewhat painful, but I have known people who had gout and they were in agony. So, it seems likely that he may have gout. I would ask the doctors if some of the medicines he is on are causing the gout. Some medicines can cause gout.

Rhoda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X