If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Driver's license

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Driver's license

[Driver's license]

Author: Patricia wonderly (---.158.82.73.Dial1.Buffalo1.Level3.net)

Date: 05-25-02 11:23

I have an ICD and last year my New York driver's license was due for renewal. I was honest and provided the DMV with updated medical information. After review from the medical board(it took forever), I was ok'd, with the only restrictions being..no driving for public transportation.(due to syncope and ICD.)

I was told that some states do not license anyone with an ICD, is this true? Do- es anyone know which states have limitations or forbid licensing?

I'm asking this question because there is always an opportunity to relocate for my husbands career and I want to be very careful when the opportunity presents itself.

Thanks!

Tricia

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Driver's license]

Author: Kat (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 05-26-02 04:48

Tricia,

The states seem to vary on this. My doctor has a list of various states' limitations, maybe yours does, too. The list my doctor has, however, are not for simply having an ICD, but for the amount of time one is not allowed to drive after having a shock from one. For example, MA was 6 months, NH 12 months, RI 18 months. My doctor said he is obligated to report to the state he is in, but not to other states. Good luck.

Kat

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-26-02 13:08

This is an extremely variable issue and one that will be getting more attention in future.

Each state has different requirements and only a very few require physicians to inform them formally. I do believe this will change as more devices will be implanted throughout this country in the next few years. Recently at the American College of cardiology conference the results from the MADIT II study revealed that there will be larger indications for the implanting of defibrillators in the extremely near future. While these implantable defibrillators will improve longevity and in some cases improve quality of life when used in connection with pacing they also have their risks. I will not give my complete analysis of this study at this time, look for future newsletters, I will say that driving is going to become a larger issue. I do not believe that those with devices should not be able to drive, I believe it is a matter of public education. When I think about it to disallow driving privileges to individual because they receivean ICD may be counterproductive... how so you ask? Some people may choose not to receive a device simply because they will be left unable to drive motor vehicle therefore those individuals, it could be argued, pose a greater risk on the highways as they could have any catastrophic of the vehicle.

Regarding public education with your Republican or Democrats, I will not state my party affiliation at this time ha ha, you have to be grateful to Dick Cheney if he is able to be a heartbeat away from the presidency than it proves that those with devices should not be treated differently than other members of society. However will stay to have to agree that a few professions should have exclusions placed on the due to device and planned but solely due to public safety issues, those individuals would be those with commercial driver's license, airplane pilot's and those in positions of security where a device could adversely affect society.

I do believe that I answered your original posting however maybe the should semi as to what are future holds.

Best wishes,

Lisa Salberg

President

Author: Carrie (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 05-29-02 00:37

Hi. I'm new to this site and new to HCM; I never even thought about when I go to the DMV to renew my license to tell them about my condition. Is there somewhere or someone I can talk to about what the rules are in Illinois? I hope this doesn't sound stupid but I'm only 22 and pretty much everything I have been hearing lately has been scaring me. I was depressed for a while and cried for a couple of days straight but now I feel like I want to know everything about everything. I want to prepare myself for anything and everything and that includes knowing whether or not I'm going to be allowed to drive.

Author: Lisa Salberg (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-29-02 16:17

You can contact your motor vehicle office, phone is best and you do not have to give your name. You can also try the internet and see if your state lists any thing regarding ICD's and restrictions.

If you have not had a previous cardiac arrest then there are rarely restrictions, a few states require a waiting period, however I am unaware of any rules requiring you to let them know of your condition. In some states the doctor must let DMV know, but I do not know if they really do it. All the Electrophysiologist I know think it is ...well...stupid... to restrict driving when there have been no pervious events. IF you have an event, then you may be restricted for a period of time to make sure your ok, but that makes sense...do you want to be responsible for hurting someone??

Carrie...take it slow...listen to those who have been there and doctors who have experience with HCM. I know it is overwelming and sometimes we hear things we just do not want to hear, and in fact sometime do not like to doctors who give us the facts but they are here to help us and guide us.

I wish you all the best and please feel free to contact the office anytime.

All the best,

Lisa Salberg

President

HCMA

Author: sarah beckley -moderator (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 05-29-02 19:34

Hi

In Illinois, you just need a letter from your doctor certifing that you aren't going to pass out behind the wheel and/or that your medication doesn't impair your ability to drive (ie amiodarone can sometimes make night driving exceedingly difficult due to halos around lights).

Sarah

Author: Patricia wonderly (---.56.28.10.Dial1.Buffalo1.Level3.net)

Date: 05-31-02 16:09

Thanks for the input. I was restricted in NYS for 8 months after my implant. (driving is a true privelege.) When my license was up for renewal, the renewal form actually had a change of health section to fill out... I called my cardiologist and he said I HAD to "tell all."

Basically, he said it was to cover myself in the event that an accident did occur in the future,especially if it was due to my condition.

Enough said.. at least I'm back on the road.
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X