If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

HCM related back pain

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: HCM related back pain

At times I get pain in my right shoulder and under my arm. I attibute it to my ICD and wires. Geesh...maybe there is more to it! Oh well, we have gotten this far in life with much more pain/discomfort.

Burt, yes we do sound like a bunch of old cronies, but who else to discuss our aches and pains with than other people that have HCM. I know I have learned a lot by reading posts from various people. Three cheers for HCM'ers!
    Esther

Comment

I have so much back pain. I get that sharp pain in my upper back when I walk and an intense stiffening type pain in my mid/lower back when I sweep the floor/vacuum/dishes etc. However I get pain even when I am sitting there doing nothing. I also have a fair amount of chest pain(almost constantly- in one form or another). I get a really severe sharp stabbing type pain right where my heart is. It only lasts a second or two but I completely stop when it happens it is so painful.(I have had that pain since I was 19.)

Anyway enough about my aches and pains. If back pain is indeed a symptom we should change the symptoms list to include it. I can't say for sure if any/all my pain is HCM related because I have had back problems since I was 16.

Take care
      Pam
      It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Hi Abby
        Have you ever mentioned this pain (especially in your heart) to your doctor? After reading the posts on this subject I do feel as though it is related. Did you read Pam's post? I really enjoy getting to know others with HCM and know that I am not abnormal (a fellow HCM'er).
        Esther

Comment

I really can't remember if I told him specifically about the stabbing pain(in heart area). Usually there are so many other things to discuss and unless it bothers me at the time then usually I forget about it. I have had it for 10 yrs now.

If woman can experience heart related pain/discomfort in their backs, upper arms, etc then how do we know what is heart related? For about 3 months now I have been getting this burning in my upper back(it feels like my skin burning) not like indigestion type burning. Could that be heart related as well? Ugh, I want a new heart...no, I want a new BODY!! Mine has grown old and withered before its time.

Anyway, on a good note... I had to put my new dentist in his place the other day. He insisted that HCM did not need to be premedicated. I insisted it did. He finally agreed to premed. me.

He said that the recommendations have changed, so he gave me four capsules to take before my appointment. 500mg Amoxicillan(total-2000mg). He said I didn't need to take any after.

What are your thoughts on this? Is it enough? Too much? Should I take something afterwards?

Ok, I am finally done moaning and groaning, I hear the pitter patter of little feet coming up the stairs....gotta go.

Take care all
          Pam
          It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Hi Abbygirl Pam,
            That was the right dose of Amoxicillin. I have other heart problems also and have been pre-medicated with every dental appointment (including cleanings) since 1985.

Years ago I used to take four 500mg capsules an hour before the appointment, and more after and the next day for a total of 12 capsules. A couple of years ago the requirements changed to just the four capsules an hour before.

I would suggest getting the capsules by prescription from your PCP or cardiologist. They are very inexpensive and they protect you from a world of trouble. They should be taken one hour before your appointment – even if the dentist is just going to be poking around in your mouth. (You can read Jim’s post about how his myectomy was postponed because he had a cavity in a tooth.) Taint nothing to fool around with.

You were absolutely right to seek pre-medication. I wouldn’t trust a dentist’s understanding of HCM. In fact the presence of a murmur alone should require the protection.

I have spoke - - - Gee, I must be a wheel.
            Burt

Comment

I thought I was just a big baby complaining to my husband about this pain in my back directly behind my heart. I see I am not alone. I did mention to the cardiologist, but never got any answer because we changed the subject and I forget to mention it again. It is going on my list for the next visit. When it gets bad enough my husband will rub it mildly for me which seems to relieve a bit of the ache.

Janet

Believe in the goodness of mankind!
              Believe in the goodness of mankind.

Comment

Oh yes i have that a;so but for years i thought it was arthrits i do have it in my lower back and i just assumed it was the same thing in my upper back, i have started putting my tylenol by the bedside and take it even before i get up in the morning because i look like a 90 year old woman trying to walk in the morning and i'm only 46

Shirley
                Diagnosed 2003
                Myectomy 2-23-2004
                Husband: Ken
                Son: John diagnosed 2004
                Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Working...
                X