If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Ok, I need info on a cardiac test please.

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Reenie Find out more about Reenie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ok, I need info on a cardiac test please.

My sister in law is having a MUGA test (Multigated Acquisition) which is a nuclear ventriculography - I think that means nuclear stress test? - before she can start her chemo. Has anyone had this particular test? She has no known heart disease so I'm assuming that they just want to make sure the ducks are in order before they start chemo? Any thoughts???

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Re: Ok, I need info on a cardiac test please.

Dear Reenie,
    I wish I could be more helpful, but here’s all I got. Last year one of the many tests I had was a nuclear stress test. The term MUGA was bandied about by the tech’s, but to tell the truth I have no idea if they were referring to me or not.

I have had a few nuclear stress tests though, and can give you some idea of what that is about. In a nutshell, first they chemically stressed me (can’t do the treadmill), then they gave me a shot of radio active something (I think it was some form of iodine). Then you lay in a trough with your arms up for about 35 to 45 minutes while this big receptor shifts from spot to spot around your chest gathering readings and building pictures.

Then you’re free for a couple of hours before being scanned again to see if and where any blood is still pooling. That was it. Until I had bursitis and/or arthritis in my shoulder, this test was a snap. Now I have trouble raising my arm up over my head, and later bringing it back down.

I found this website, and that sure was the test, but the equipment used at the hospital was a clumsier version of the first picture shown. I guess this is the latest version.

http://www.chfpatients.com/tests/muga.htm

Hope this was of some help to you.
    Burt

Comment

Reenie.
      I have had two MUGA tests. They are a snap. You get injected with a funky dye and then lay down on a gurney. For about 20 minutes they take pictures of your heart to see how well the pumping action is working. In me they were looking for the ejection fraction. Of all the tests I have had to take, this was the easiest.
      Peace,

Leon
      God Squad co-moderator
      Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Reenie,

I have had one of these also, and as Leon said... piece of cake. It will not require any effort from her at all other than having to lie very still for about twenty minutes or so while the camera pases over her. It is similar to a nuclear stress test, only without the stress. It's just the dye and picture-taking part.

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks guys. My husband had taken a nuclear test before with the stress part added in. I was concerned for her to be on the treadmill 2 weeks after mastectomy. Seemed like a lot of movement so soon. I know you guys would come through for me.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie-Yup, the Test is a no brainer. Be sure she does NOT have any reaction to these types of dyes-if she does she needs to tell the Dr & be premedicated (another no brainer)
            RONNIE

Comment

Reenie, The MUGA test will be very simple for your sister-in-law. It is done to be sure that there is nothing unknown about the heart function. Chemo can cause problems for the heart and the test results will tell them how to adjust chemo if need be. I'm glad they are being so precise with her care. Linda

Comment

Linda, I appreciate your input, as I do everyone else's. They are being very particular with her care. In fact they suggested she go ahead and have 2 wisdom teeth extracted because they were a known problem that had been put off and it was something that they didn't need flaring up while on chemo. I love a doctor who looks at the total picture.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.

Comment

Reenie,

It sounds like she is getting great care. And you are so right about having a doctor who is looking at this from every possible angle. That will make a world of difference for your sister-in-law, and must be a huge relief to know she is getting such good care. We're all still thinking of her and praying that she have the fastest possible recovery with few complications.

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Just my two cents on MUGA testing on those of us with HCM. I am sure it is a great test but it is also one that gave some misrepresentations which in turned caused a lot of unnecessary stress and even fear. I had one done last January and it charted my ejection fraction at being 33%. Anthing under 50 is considered heart failure I was told.

Anyhow, to make a long story short. I had to fly up to Boston and get it cleared up. Dr. Udelson explained to me that sometimes a HCM heart can fool the machines calculation. I think he said it had something to do with our myocardial disarray. So my EF l was actually 70% not 33%.

But as we all know I'm a bit different when it comes to these things.

Mary s.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                    X