If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

I'm home after 4 days at NEMC

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I'm home after 4 days at NEMC

well, I just got home...admitted to Tufts NEMC on Tuesday to get started on an anti-arrythimic, Sotolol after having another afib episode. I responded well to it....feel like I'm in low gear, but hoping after my body gets acclimated to the new drug, it will improve. I was released based on good EKG's and doing o.k. just feel sluggish...of course you don't get a normal night's sleep when you're in the hospital. what a wonderful group of nurses and doctors!
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: I'm home after 4 days at NEMC

Dear Cynthia.

Welcome home! I do hope that you will improve more and more and soon feel better than you could possibly hope,

Rhoda

Comment

thank you for your kind words, Rhoda...the best to you also

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia, I'm glad that the hospital visit went well. I hope the sotolol will continue to work for you and you will get stronger now.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Cynthia,

I'm sorry... i had no idea that you were going into the hospital! Glad to hear everything worked out well for you and that you are feeling some improvement. You are so right about getting any kind of sleep in a hospital... the one place where you really need to get a good night's sleep is the one place on earth where you couldn't get one if you tried. LoL. It always takes me quite a while to 'recover' from a stay in the hospital

I hope that you see nothing but continued improvement from here on in! Please take good care of yourself.

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Cynthia I am glad you are doing better and home , I was hoping all would go well for you. Keep it low for awhile and give yourself time. Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Hey Hon,
              If you’re keeping it low for awhile, how about doing the floors while you’re down there?

Seriously, I hope the Sotolol does the trick for you and the sluggishness wears off soon.
              Burt

Comment

thanks, guys for all of your kind words. I' ve got my fingers crossed that this is going to control (or at least for the most part) the afib.. take care too!

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia - My father was on sotolol for several years and it controlled his A-F very well!

Best of luck!

Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Cynthia, I took Sotolol for over 8 years, from the time I had an ICD placed. It worked so well my device never fired. I wish you the best with this drug. I considered it a God sent medicine.
                    Midge

Diagnosed in 1977, Myectomy in 1981 @ Mayo Rochester
                    ICD&Pacemaker 1996
                    Heart transplant March 19, 2004 @ Mayo Rochester
                    Mom of Kaye.

Comment

question about the Sotolol --- how many milligrams did you take? I'm going tomorrow to Boston to discuss what the next plan is with me. The combination of sotolol and the verapamil made my pulse go down to 40 and ended up back in the hospital. I'm so sick of this. I am looking forward to the conference (my husband is also) to get more information.

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia,

I take 120 mg. twice a day. How much did they put you on? I hope you're feeling better.

Elizabeth

Comment

Cynthia
                          I take 120 mg. twice a day which I've been taking for approx. 6-7 yrs. My B/P varies. Most of the time it is 80's/60's. I have an ICD and LOTS of other meds., but nothing in the sotolol/verapamil family. I usually feel slugish around 1-2 p.m.
                          I hope they can regulate your medication, sotolol has been very good to me.
                          Take care and God Bless
                          Esther

Comment

thanks, everyone. I was taking 80 mg. twice/day (along with 240 mg. of verapamil). My doctor in Worcester said that it's a good thing to stay on the verapamil and mentioned Tikosyn(sp?) but you can't take both...we'll see what the Boston doctors have to say today

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Cynthia...I hope thing work out for you. Be strong and have faith and I'm sure they will...

Patrick
                              " Real Courage Is Being Scared To Death But Saddling-Up Anyway "

Comment

Working...
                              X