If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flight Physicals And HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Ron j Find out more about Ron j
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flight Physicals And HCM

Members of HCMA may not find this surprising! I passed years of fllight physical with comments from Doctors that I had a real bad heart murmur. Even had stress tests before being sign off for flying status. Strange - but no one ever came up with HCM until I checked with a new Doctor who diagnosed HCM. My advise is listen to your own body signals, don't overlook that strange feeling only you can identify, and remember doctors are human. Hope to participate in June 5-6 seminar in NJ and meet some of the group. Lisa is "the queen of hearts" and convinced me to check NEMC with my problem and pressure of 218. Dr. Moran and I have now had a dsicussion and I am scheduled for a stress echo within the next two weeks. I have given up on an evaluation at UAB Birmingham and will only consider one of the three centers of excellance for myself.
    Regards, Ron J.

Re: Flight Physicals And HCM

Ron--Glad you are listening to the "Queen of Hearts;" she may help save your life like she did mine! Certainly doesn't have to be a military doctor to overlook such things. I complained of faintness episodes for 10 years or more before someone recognized something shiould be done about it.
    The something, in my case, was an ICD which saved my life last August.

Sue

Comment

Re: Flight Physicals And HCM

Ron,
      As I sit here reading your post I must admit a bit of fear... I am getting on an airplane in 3 hours I sure hope the crew had GOOD physicals!!!

I am glad to hear you are on the road to good care!

Best wishes,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X