If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dilated cardiomyopathy

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dilated cardiomyopathy

[dilated cardiomyopathy]

Author: Debbie (---.glen-net.ca)

Date: 05-22-02 14:07

I am trying to find out what the difference is between hypertrophic and dilated. Is one considered more serious? My husband was diagnosed with hypertrophic from and echo. but when I looked up dilated he seems to have the symptoms also. Thanks for any info

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: dilated cardiomyopathy]

Author: karen (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-22-02 16:05

Hi Debbie,

The two main differences I know are... the ventricular wall thickness is normal in dilated cardiomyopathy (DCM) while the ventricles are dilated or large. In hypertrophic cardiomyopathy (HCM) there's usually excessive thickening of the ventricular septum while the left ventricular chamber is relatively small.

My husband and daughter carry the diagnosis of HCM with obstruction. While the symptoms of both DCM & HCM are similar, the treatment can be different, but as far as which one would be more serious...dilated, HCM, or HOCM..I don't know.

Hope this helped. Take care.

Karen

Author: Pat (---.d00832.dlup.digitaldune.net)

Date: 05-22-02 17:25

Hi Debbie,

The American Heart Association has a good basic description of the cardiomyopathies (dilated, hypertrophic, & restrictive) on its Web site at http://www.americanheart.org/heart_a...de/cmyopa.html You'll notice that many of the symptoms are similar because they are symptoms of a heart which is not functioning as well as we would like it to function.

I have found that Web site useful for other things, too, like the drugs used to treat HCM.

My best to you and your husband,

Pat

Date: 05-22-02 20:23

Thank you for your help. I checked out the website and it had alot of great info. Karen how are your husband and daughter feeling? also who was diagnosed first? My two boys have appointments for echo. but the waiting is very hard on the nerves as I'm sure you know.

Thanks again,

Debbie

Author: karen (---.dyn.optonline.net)

Date: 05-23-02 08:36

My daughter is doing very well. She's goes next week for a stress echo to see if there's any obstruction or rhythm issues at a max heart rate. In my earlier response I said both my daughter & husband have HOCM, that was incorrect. Sometimes my brain and my fingers just aren't in sync!

My husband carries that diagnosis. My daughter was diagnosed with apical HCM. My husband is doing fair, s/p a few pacemakers, AV ablation, ICD. Roy was diagnosed at 16 years old, our daughter at 19.

I know all about the waiting being hard on the nerves. You can email me at home if you'd like and we can talk about it. Take care.

Karen

[email protected]

Author: sarah beckley -moderator (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 05-23-02 13:56

Dear Debbie

There is some info on this site, too, that explains the different types of cardiomyopathy.

S

Date: 05-23-02 20:06

thanks for the info. I'm very anxious for my husbands next appt. It isn't until the end June and it's for an angiogram. I guess that will give us more info about what is going on.

Debbie
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.
Working...
X