If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

splinters in the fingernails

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• splinters in the fingernails

Hi, I know that having brownish/black splinter like thingys in your fingernails is a 'sign' of endocarditis, however is it also a sign of HCM? I first noticed these 'splinters' about age 15, of course I thought nothing of it. I still have them 15 yrs later, they come and go. Does anyone else have them or am I the ODD one out?

Thanks
    Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Re: splinters in the fingernails

Hi Pam,
    This site has a whole bunch about diseases and conditions of the nails. It is supposed to be fairly comprehensive – lots of pictures. See if you can find your condition shown. By the way, I saw nothing about signs of endocarditis or other heart related problems – maybe I just didn’t notice it – but I did find melanocytic naevus which might be what you are describing. Take a look for yourself.
    Burt

http://www.dermnetnz.org/gps/gplectu...ct6/nails.html

Comment

Pam I get them also. When I was rehospitalized very sick 7 weeks post myectomy and had to have fluid drained from my lung they thought I might have endcarditis. A whole group of interns were looking at my nails and commenting about these slivers. They asked how long I had had them and like you ; a lonnnng time. They commented that they saw these frequently with patients who had had endocarditis. To my knowledge I never have had it. Oh well , interesting. Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Burt I went to the site . My god I am going to have trouble eating my breakfast! I looked at what you were thinking it might be; not even close. It looks just like Pam described ; like a long splinter that is silvery black ,or brown, they vary in lengths and one goes another comes. Not on all nails at once.They are called splinter hemmorhages This is a thing they see in nails of many with endocarditis . I do not believe it correlates to HCM except that some who have HCM have also suffered from endocarditis as well. We know from science that there are parts of our bodies that reveal the story often long before a dx. I don't know if an individual could have endocarditis without knowing and recover well without intervention but I think it is possible to limp along for long periods of time and hence the heart sustains further damage. Personally I have had many past bouts ; before dx, of very high fevers, chest pain, difficulty breathing and the such , going back to very young ,usuually followed by dental work that I was not premedicated for or chronic low level bladder infections that went untreated for years. . As a result of these bad bouts I passed out and recieved several concussions when I was in the acute feverish stage. As My teeth have always had big big problems from my youth I have had more then a couple incidents. I had chonic UTI's after my 2nd child that the doc feels I had for about 3 years off and on before getting treatment . Many episodes occurred without me getting medical care following these episodes. Often a doctor would start me on antibotics just because nothing else seemed to be helping and I'd eventually show up complaining of long term issues. I learned very young to be tuff and I rarely would go for help as we had such poor medical oversight which encouraged my poor self care. When I would follow up, it was because the results of the head trauma was still going on by a months time. I have lived a very risky life and this is why I believe something has kept me on this planet for a reason. This was the short story long . Pam
        Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
        Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
        Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
        SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
        [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
        Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
        Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
        Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Gee, two Pam’s for the price of one.
          Couple of things.

First I’m glad it’s not any of those nasty things shown on that site. (Side thought) Rhoda, see what I mean about how so much can be learned by a knowable observer while just taking someone’s pulse?

Second. We each have got to guard against poor medical care and do our utmost to get the best care there is. If I may ramble a bit. . .

About two weeks ago my wife, who is an only partially controlled epileptic, had a seizure in a Mall department store. She fell over backwards and struck the back of her head on the composition stone floor. Two days later we saw our PCP who said she had a large bump, but the wound was healing well. My wife had experienced some symptoms, so to be on the safe side the PCP ordered a CT Scan. My wife felt that instead of the PCP, she would prefer her neurologist to read the results and determine if any further action was required. – and therein lies a tale.

She called the neuro’s office for an appointment, the staff asked why, and when she said she fell, they interrupted with, “Is this a law suit? Is this a lawsuit?” When my wife said she had no intention of suing anybody they told her they would have to check with the doctor, and wouldl get back to her. We sat around all day for a phone call that never came.

Three days later she again called the office, and again – “Is this a lawsuit? Is this a lawsuit?” With the ‘No’ they again said they would have to check with the doctor. By now my wife was quite annoyed. The next day they called us and said they had gotten an e-mail from the doctor – if she insists he will see her (the next appointment is five to eight weeks away) but he will not discuss the seizure or the fall. My wife was now beside herself. The office clerk said, “If you get excited I will not talk to you”, so my wife hung up. The next day we get a call from somebody else in the office, who was again asking, “Is this a lawsuit?” After my wife was again sufficiently upset they transferred the call to the office manager, and once again my wife explained the problem. He said they have an appointment open for next week, but he would have to check with the doctor first.

He actually called back – while we were out – and left a message on the answering machine. “The doctor will see you if you insist, but he will not discuss the seizure or the fall. If you have any concerns about that, go to the emergency room.” Well gee wiz – we could have done that two weeks ago. Just what the heck does he do for a living – defend against law suits? Obviously we are in the market for a new neurologist – but that’s a whole different story.

Thanks for listening guys. You’ve done me a world of good. Just wanted you to know there are people out there impersonating real doctors in every discipline. Have a great big wonderful day.
          Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X