If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

sorry for all the questions--- low blood pressure

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• sorry for all the questions--- low blood pressure

are there any symptoms (indications) when your blood pressure is too low?? what reading is considered too low??
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: sorry for all the questions--- low blood pressure

For me my cardiologists keeps my blood pressure low. Usually 96 over 42 to 45. I find if it goes lower than that I get extremely tired. Low on energy.
    Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

Hello again,
      The symptoms of low blood pressure (hypotension) are dizziness, lightheadedness, and syncope (passing out).

When the blood pressure is too low, there is inadequate blood flow to the heart, brain, and other vital organs. A blood pressure level that is borderline low for one person may be normal for another. The most important factor is how the blood pressure changes from the normal condition. Most normal blood pressures fall in the range of 90/60 mm Hg to 130/80 mm Hg, but a significant change, even as little as 20 mm Hg, can cause problems for some people.

Low blood pressure is commonly caused by drugs such as the following – Medications used for surgery, Anti-anxiety agents, Treatment for high blood pressure, Diuretics, Heart medicines, Some antidepressants, Narcotics (analgesics), and Alcohol.

Other causes of low blood pressure include the following: Dehydration, Heart failure, Heart attack, Changes in heart rhythm (arrhythmias), Fainting, Anaphylaxis (a life-threatening allergic response), Shock (from severe infection, stroke, anaphylaxis, major trauma, or heart attack), or Advanced diabetes.

Another common cause type of low blood pressure is orthostatic hypotension, which results from a sudden change in body position, usually from lying down to an upright position.

Hope that’s what you were concerned with.
      Burt

Comment

Hi Karen,
        I don’t know why your cardiologist wants your blood pressure that low – but he may have a perfectly good reason. My cardiologist wants to keep my diastolic pressure either at sixty or in the sixties. He has said that if it goes to forty or below I could get into trouble – and you’re skating on the edge of that. No wonder you start to feel funky when your blood pressure dips a little.
        Burt

Comment

It has something to do with how thick the muscle is and how much my heart has to work if the pressure is up higher.
          Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

My kids' PC wants their blood pressure's below 100 systolic and 60s diastolic.

Also, make sure when you take your blood pressure, you have the correct size cuff and that you take it the correct way. If you have a cuff too big for your arm you will get a lower reading and if you take it with a cuff too small for your arm it will be too high. The BP cuffs and the Walmart's and places like that aren't as accurate as if you go to the free BP screenings the hospitals have.
            Michelle - mom to Krista and Tyler both HCM
            Krista surgeries: 3/97 myectomy, 2/99 mitral valve replacement
            Tyler surgery: 1/98 myectomy

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X