If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

heart rate question

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Toogoofy317 non-obstructed hcm, AICD 11-01-02 and 10-6-05 Find out more about Toogoofy317
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• heart rate question

I got a bit of a scare this evening! I was just starting my evening walk and i was wearing my heart rate monitor. After, about five or so minutes at a brisk walk I felt a little funky. Well, I looked down at the monitor and it read 212! My AICD is set to fire at 220. Needless to say I was scared so I stopped and let a few seconds pass. It dropped immediatly to 105.

Do you think this is something my AICD caught since it was so close to the firing rate? Needless to say I am now a little scared of going out and exercising. Especially by myself. I'm not sure if this is something I should report to the cardiologist on Monday or just wait the couple of weeks till my next visit.My Aicd does not get interrogated until June.

Oh well, advice would be much appreciated!

Mary S.

Re: heart rate question

If you don't usually hit that high with a brisk walk, report it asap. and women should never walk around alone really, anywhere. my personal experience is that there is danger everywhere (even in "nice" areas) and you are better off excerising with a friend for a variety of reasons.

But never a bad idea to report aberations right away, too. Your call.

I hope things are getting better for you. I know things have been up and down. Don't do too much!!!!

take care,

s

Comment

Mary, I can't comment on your situation, but I am wondering what kind of heart monitor you use? Does it keep continuous track of your heartrate? I am looking for a good one.

Thanks and hope you get this all figured out.

Pam
      It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Well,

My max heart rate is only supposed to peak at 160 with my target being 135-145. Normally at a brisk walk I'm at about 130. I typically only walk in the afternoon with a cell phone on me at all times.

As far as heart rate monitors go I have a polar. It was recommended to me in cardiac rehab. I always exercise with it.

Mary S.

Comment

Mary, depending on what model ICD you have, it should be programable to have a "record only" zone. The therapy zone is where it monitors, records, and shocks or "delivers therapy" as needed. In the "record" zone, they can track tachycardias that are not fast enough for therapy, but faster than you should ideally be having. The interrogation will print out events in both zones. This zone is useful to track response to meds, activity, etc. Ask your doctor how your device is programmed and what the rate limits are for each zone. I always have my calendar with me when my son has his interrogation, we look at date and time and try to figure out what caused each event. It's helpful to mark days that you've had particular symptoms also, that way, you know if those symptoms were caused by an event. It helps you to be more aware of what your body is telling you. On a recent interrogation, in the wee hours of the morning - maybe 1-2am, an event was recorded for my son that came real close to delivering therapy. It caused real concern since it would have been during sleep - he always goes to bed very early. Looking back thru the calendar, it was finals wk and the cafeteria had been open late. He had made the trip accross campus in the cold wind, up several steps. So, you see, it wasn't such a big deal after all. Linda

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X