If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those of you with fainting spells

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Abbygirl2
    replied
    Re: for those of you with fainting spells

Rhoda thanks for the info. When I have a spell I can talk(although barely walk. I am trying hard to sort out the symptoms and my spells seem to last a lot longer than what might be caused be an arrythmia. Plus I get this feeling of a surge of adrenaline that can go on for a long time. I spent half the day in bed today. Hot/cold/hot/cold, almost like the flu without the body aches.

Mary, that is funny. I wore a seven lead holter. I usually wear the 5, not sure what the difference is.

Take care all
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Laoshur
    replied

Pam,

I am just in town for a couple of hours between trips so don't have time to check on anything. But I have a friend who has weakness spells that may be somewhat similar to yours. She discovered that they were caused by a heart arrhythmia problem that was really hard to catch because she was unable to get help when they came. She was unable to talk or walk, but was somewhat conscious. If this seems to be like your situation, I will try to contact her and find out what she discovered. She does not do email, so I am not sure how easy it will be to contact her, but if you want me to try, PM me.

Rhoda

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied

Just a note on hooking up the traditional 5 leads on a typical Holter Monitor. WHite left, Black right. Red Lower left, Green lower right, and brown in the center or as us EMTs remember. Salt, Pepper, ketchup, guacamole, and refried beans.

Weird aren't we!

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied

Pam, now that's a problem. Hope you finally get a good reading and it gives the doctor something concrete to work with. Linda

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

The nurses decided when they were hooking it back up that the technician who 'hooked me up' in the first place did it wrong. Now, this person does it on a regular basis and STILL got it wrong. First thing in the AM I am off to see if I need to wear it again. I hope not because I was sooooo itchy!!

Burt-a NON ER...I like it Our hospital has been turned into a place where people go to die, they don't take patients unless they're 'lifers'.

Well off to bed, its after 3am...

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hello again Abbygirl2 Pam,
    I guess you would call that place a Non-ER. Spooky. I guess youíd be better off staying well. Please do so.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Linda
    replied

Pam, Strange as it may seem, what you experienced last nite is not totally unexpected. A Holter is not a piece of emergency equipment and just not used in the emerg dept. It may be suggested or ordered by an emergency doctor, but it will come from some other dept so they would have no reason or experience to know. Some will know because of previous experiences, but the wise one will ask for help to make sure they have re-attached it correctly. When it is a strange piece of equipment, it never hurts to have someone double-check for you. If it would have been an invasive machine (one that is pumping in a med IV or something like that) they would have called in someone who knows without a doubt. Call the person who put it on for you in the am and let them know what happened and ask if they want to start over just in case. Good luck, Linda

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

I am sick of going to the ER, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the Dr's around here. Our ER is only open for NON EMERGENCY medical situations. For emergencies we have to go to another town(30mins away.)..
    Anyway I went down to our ER last night because my 4 yr old ripped a couple of the leads out of the holter machine and I couldn't figure out what order they went back in. Well, the first nurse had no idea what to do, so she called another nurse who didn't know either, between the three of us we figured it out. Man I hope I never have an emergency.

Anyway, thats my vent for today...hope your all having a good day.
    Pam

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hi not Pammy,
    Sorry, for the remarks. I didnít know your past track record. Still, you never know when an important event is happening. Iíd rather go to the ER and be sent home then to stay home when Iím getting into trouble. I guess if you really insisted he would have taken you after all.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• karen
    replied

It takes awhile to get used to alot of the symptoms of HCM. I know when I was first diagnosed, I would rush to the ER when I would have attacks of rushing beats or chest pains. I was lucky enough to have a doctor who told me to do some relaxation exercises when the spells start and then if they don't help go to ER. The relaxation help a great deal, and I still have to go maybe once or twice a year because the old heart seems to do something a little different. I know you are in Canada, and you can't just choose a new cardiologist without being referred by your family doctor. THis is what I did for my daughter. I asked him how many HCM patients does he see each year? If your doctor doesn't give you a number or you are his only patient it might be worthwhile to get your family doctor to refer you to Toronto General or one of the other big hospitals that have doctors who do specialize in HCM.

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

Burt, ya I wasn't so convinced it was BS related either. But I of course don't want to rule anything out. DH(My husband) has been through this with me soooo many times, and knows I always settle down, which I did. He is very calm under stressful situations where I overreact. It could have been a panic attack last night.
    Also we have been to the ER probably 10 times these past five months over these weird presyncope spells. They always hook me up, watch me for awhile and tell me to go home. I guess he just doesn't see the point anymore. Ugh, how much crap can I put him(and my kids through)?

Anyway, I am going to ask my Dr if I could come in and get some blood work taken during a spell(frankly I don't know if I will be able to) , I usually feel too weak/faint to move. I did have some blood work done once while in the ER...nothing was discovered.
    Ah well, It after 3am, should try to get some sleep.
    Thanks for listening

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Dear Abbygirl Pam,

I assume DH is either your husband or significant other. How nice of him, when you asked him to take you to the ER to say, ďNo, go back to bed.Ē I wonít say what Iím really thinking, but it must be great to have somebody you can really count on like that.

Time to change the subject. I suspect that your blood sugar levels are not the cause of your problems. If the doctor said you were borderline diabetic, your readings should fall on the high side. If your numbers are on the low side, you might be hypoglycemic, except that condition should respond quickly to the intake of food or candy. Thatís why I suspect the problem resides elsewhere.

I would ask your doctor for a blood test checking all your various blood chemical levels, to be run when youíre feeling funky Ė including the Hemoglobin A1c which will give you the average blood sugar level for the previous 90 days. I donít know how that is handled in Canada. I get a referral to a lab and can go at my convenience Ė but a little before my next doctorís appointment. Some tests require a 14 hour fast, so I do those in the mornings.) If Iím in the ER or admitted I ask the attending. When I explain why I want it I usually have no trouble getting the tests Ė and a bunch more for good measure.

With me, my dizziness eased off by late afternoon, in time to go out to dinner and cards with friends. I donít know what it was, but Iím glad itís over. (Might just have been a goodbye salute from the Vertigo problem.)

Take care and please keep us posted.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Abbygirl2
    replied

Thanks for all the info. For awhile, I did record my BS and it was always within range. But --it is often at the lower end of the range. I can't seem to get the number up for any length of time. Anyway, think I will start recording my BS again, just to see what I can come up with.

On another note....I had my Dr's app. yesterday. (I was SUPPOSED) to see a NEW Dr but imagine my surprise when my regular Dr walked in.
    I think she felt bad that she hadn't done anything for me, I don't know how she managed to 'steal' me away from the other Dr, the Canadian health care system baffles me.
    Anyway, the closest thing to a diagnosis in six months came finally. She thinks my body MAY be overreacting to low progesterone/high estrogen. Anyone ever heard of this. (Particularily the women )
    I really don't care what it is at this point, I just want to feel better. She put my on Medroxy.

The cardiologist that I am seeing for a 2nd opinion wanted me to wear a 48hr Holter, so I am hooked up once again.
    Last night I had some weird kind of spell, It felt like a surge of (adrenaline), and felt like it was coming from my heart-or causing my heart to act up. My heart started going crazy, and I felt horrible, so I woke DH and told him to take me to the ER. He told me to calm down and go back to bed.
    I settled down and after much tossing and turning went back to sleep.

I hope tonight is a better night, she wouldn't give me anything to help me sleep as she didn't want to start me on two 'new'meds at once, plus she thought the Medroxy might help me sleep.
    OK, I am done rambling, the inlaws have been here for two weeks and just stepped out for a few hours. I have some housework to get done.
    I am feeling more disorientated today than usual...so I hope this all makes sense.

Pam

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

I must be very susceptible to suggestion because Iíve been staggering around bumping into walls all night, and almost fell a few times. Personally I think itís another attack of Vertigo. (The only thing missing so far is the room spinning when I lay down, but I think thatís coming.) Just moving my head will make me dizzy, my eyes are blurry, and I have a roaring headache. Iíve had Vertigo a few times before and was told it would probably return a few times, but itís been over three years and I thought I was through with it. This is most inconvenient Ė I canít even remember the name of the drug I took for it. (I tried to research it on the computer, but I just canít deal with it now. Iíll ask the druggist Ė itís an over the counter medication.)

Anyway, my blood sugar level this morning was 163 Ė a bit high. Iíll be checking it closely for a few days and will probably wind up increasing my insulin doses. The ranges I was given years ago are as follows.

Below 60 Ė the meter will say ďDo You Need a Snack?Ē
    60 to 80 Ė low.
    80 to 120 Ė ideal
    120 to 140 Ė good
    140+ - high

I hope this is of some use to you guys. Iím heading back to bed to watch some TV.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• Toogoofy317
    replied

I have issues on the hypoglycemic side. I must be tough sucker because my levels have dropped into the 30's and I was still functioning but feeling extremely weak. This happened once when I was in the ER when they wouldn't let me eat for six hours. I took my own glucose and it was 30 should have seen the look on the triage person's face. Needless to say I went right in at that point!

I think my glucose levels have something to do with my HCM episodes too. Because most times when I end up in the hospital my levels are low. My theory on this is that when you go into a hypoglycemic episode your body releases large amounts of adrenalilne to compensate. In my case when I get an adrenaline rush my heart hates it. Since, my heart is already working hard during the hypo the adrenaline just makes it worse.

After, one of these hcm/hypo episodes my body is absolutly exhausted it takes a few days to fully recover.

Just my two cents!

Mary S.

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X