If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

for those of you with fainting spells

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: for those of you with fainting spells

It takes awhile to get used to alot of the symptoms of HCM. I know when I was first diagnosed, I would rush to the ER when I would have attacks of rushing beats or chest pains. I was lucky enough to have a doctor who told me to do some relaxation exercises when the spells start and then if they don't help go to ER. The relaxation help a great deal, and I still have to go maybe once or twice a year because the old heart seems to do something a little different. I know you are in Canada, and you can't just choose a new cardiologist without being referred by your family doctor. THis is what I did for my daughter. I asked him how many HCM patients does he see each year? If your doctor doesn't give you a number or you are his only patient it might be worthwhile to get your family doctor to refer you to Toronto General or one of the other big hospitals that have doctors who do specialize in HCM.
    Life is too short to worry about the trival things in life, So live life to the fullest.

Comment

Hi not Pammy,
      Sorry, for the remarks. I didn’t know your past track record. Still, you never know when an important event is happening. I’d rather go to the ER and be sent home then to stay home when I’m getting into trouble. I guess if you really insisted he would have taken you after all.
      Burt

Comment

I am sick of going to the ER, I don't have a whole lot of faith in the Dr's around here. Our ER is only open for NON EMERGENCY medical situations. For emergencies we have to go to another town(30mins away.)..
        Anyway I went down to our ER last night because my 4 yr old ripped a couple of the leads out of the holter machine and I couldn't figure out what order they went back in. Well, the first nurse had no idea what to do, so she called another nurse who didn't know either, between the three of us we figured it out. Man I hope I never have an emergency.

Anyway, thats my vent for today...hope your all having a good day.
        Pam
        It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Pam, Strange as it may seem, what you experienced last nite is not totally unexpected. A Holter is not a piece of emergency equipment and just not used in the emerg dept. It may be suggested or ordered by an emergency doctor, but it will come from some other dept so they would have no reason or experience to know. Some will know because of previous experiences, but the wise one will ask for help to make sure they have re-attached it correctly. When it is a strange piece of equipment, it never hurts to have someone double-check for you. If it would have been an invasive machine (one that is pumping in a med IV or something like that) they would have called in someone who knows without a doubt. Call the person who put it on for you in the am and let them know what happened and ask if they want to start over just in case. Good luck, Linda

Comment

Hello again Abbygirl2 Pam,
            I guess you would call that place a Non-ER. Spooky. I guess you’d be better off staying well. Please do so.
            Burt

Comment

The nurses decided when they were hooking it back up that the technician who 'hooked me up' in the first place did it wrong. Now, this person does it on a regular basis and STILL got it wrong. First thing in the AM I am off to see if I need to wear it again. I hope not because I was sooooo itchy!!

Burt-a NON ER...I like it Our hospital has been turned into a place where people go to die, they don't take patients unless they're 'lifers'.

Well off to bed, its after 3am...

Pam
              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Pam, now that's a problem. Hope you finally get a good reading and it gives the doctor something concrete to work with. Linda

Comment

Just a note on hooking up the traditional 5 leads on a typical Holter Monitor. WHite left, Black right. Red Lower left, Green lower right, and brown in the center or as us EMTs remember. Salt, Pepper, ketchup, guacamole, and refried beans.

Weird aren't we!

Mary S.

Comment

Pam,

I am just in town for a couple of hours between trips so don't have time to check on anything. But I have a friend who has weakness spells that may be somewhat similar to yours. She discovered that they were caused by a heart arrhythmia problem that was really hard to catch because she was unable to get help when they came. She was unable to talk or walk, but was somewhat conscious. If this seems to be like your situation, I will try to contact her and find out what she discovered. She does not do email, so I am not sure how easy it will be to contact her, but if you want me to try, PM me.

Rhoda

Comment

Rhoda thanks for the info. When I have a spell I can talk(although barely walk. I am trying hard to sort out the symptoms and my spells seem to last a lot longer than what might be caused be an arrythmia. Plus I get this feeling of a surge of adrenaline that can go on for a long time. I spent half the day in bed today. Hot/cold/hot/cold, almost like the flu without the body aches.

Mary, that is funny. I wore a seven lead holter. I usually wear the 5, not sure what the difference is.

Take care all
                      Pam

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X