If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Persantine Stress Test

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

smccormick Find out more about smccormick
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Persantine Stress Test

Just got back from my appt. with my local cardio and he wants to do a persantine stress test. Has anyone had this and is it safe for HOCM patients. He says yes but he still writes IHSS all over my chart!

Re: Persantine Stress Test

It is not vry common for those with HCM to need this type of testing but may have a role for some-

The following ininformation has been taken from a general medical site re the procedure itself:

What is an IV Persantine-Thallium Stress Test?

This test ia an alternative procedure for patients with coronary artery disease who can not exercise on a treadmill.
    An IV line is started to administer the persantine and the thallium.
    Persantine helps to expand the coronary arteries increasing the blood flow to the area. This effect is similar to what happens during vigorous exercise.
    Thallium (a radioactive isotope) is detected by X-rays and shows which parts of the heart muscle are receiving enough oxygen.
    Side effects of thallium are rare and may include rashes or low blood pressure.
    Possible temporary side effects of Persantine may include: headache, dizziness, nausea/vomiting, chest discomfort.
    Electrodes will be placed on the chest so that the heart rate and rhythm will be monitored by an electrocardiogram (EKG).
    A special camera takes pictures of the heart.
    This test is usually administered in 2 phases with each phase lasting 30-60 minutes. The patient may be required to return the following day to complete the second phase.
    The phase of this test takes about 60 minutes.
    This test must be ordered by the doctor.

Why is a Persantine Stress Done?

This test will help the doctor to evaluate the patient's cardiac condition related to:
    Irregular heart rhythms
    Which areas of the heart are not getting enough blood and oxygen.
    How quickly the heart recovers after exercise.

What Preparation is Needed?

Nothing to eat or drink for 3 hours prior to the test.
    Do not smoke or drink caffeine for at least 6 hours prior to the test.
    It is important for the patient to ask his doctor:
    how to adjust his insulin and food intake prior to the test if he is a diabetic
    if he should take his regular medications the morning of the test.
    if he is on a Beta Blocker, can he STOP taking this medication 72 hours before the test as this is recommended for best results
    If the patient is taking aminophylline or theodur, he must discontinue it for 48-72 hours prior to the test.

The patient must notify his physician if:

he is allergic to Theophylline or Persantine
    he has asthma, chronic lung disease or any heart conditions
    Do not apply lotions, oils or powders to the chest area.

Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Yes I had this test in 2000 and again in 2001. The most difficult part for me was lying on my back with my arms up over and behind my head for that period of time. There was no support for them such as a cross beam to at least rest my shoulders on. I found because I have some undiagnosed problem with my left shoulder that it became extremely uncomfortable. They took my reccomendations at the second hospital brought it to committee and developed a padded cross beam . Now I know that I was not the first one to be so uncomfortable I was probably the one who gave them the idea that it was not humane to make people suffer in such discomfort. For me my shoulder trembled and it took me a while to remobilize it. They said they should have done it a long time before as many frail elderly people cry secondary to their severe arthritis. So the test itself each time was not a problem just the position that had to be maintained without moving for a long time. It did allow the doctor to see that an area of my heart does not get adequate perfusion of O2 secondary to the small vessels in the thickened ventricle. With those results it was felt that a cardiac cath. needed to be done to determine if all large vessels were open. So it is often that one test in turn leads to another. As far as the small vessels if you have those it is difficult to eliminate all chest pain but with the right mix of meds you can maintain some control for periods of time . It varies , one will go a long time or days without chest pain and then it is back. Keeping up with your doc and trying different things he advises helps. Good luck with the testing . Pam
      Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
      Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
      Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
      SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
      Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
      Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

Howdy,
        I’ve had a number of Persantine-Thallium Stress Tests over the past 25 years and experienced no problems with them, except - - for the last number of years it has played merry **** with my left shoulder in particular. I have both arthritis and bursitis in it, and holding it still over my head for about a half hour at a time while lying in the machine’s “trough” was indeed uncomfortable.

During my last chemical stress test earlier this year a different chemical stressing agent was used, (can’t remember the name) and I experienced quite a reaction to it. Actually, I thought I was going into cardiac arrest, but they were monitoring me closely, and talked me through the last minute of the stress. They then injected a different chemical and I recovered fully in about a minute. I wish I could remember that chemicals name. I sure want to be on guard for it if needed in the future.
        Burt

Comment

I have had a chemical stress test and my understanding for it was to see my blood pressure reaction to stress, whether it would go up or down.
          I did have a bit of a reaction and my blood pressure went sky high. They immediately stopped and my blood pressure returned to normal after a few minutes, although I did end up with a bit of a headache. The doc said some people react to the drug but not very often.
          Although the test was cut short, the doc said it told him what he wanted to know.
          Your blood pressue should go up under stress, not down.
          Good luck with your test.
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

Hey Glen,
            How you doin’ boy? Haven’t seen you posting much lately.
            Burt

Comment

Hi Burt, doing just great, had a back injury snowmobiling in Feb. but that's pretty well healed now. I guess being in Vegas, you don't see too many of those.
              Good to see you seem to be well.
              I have been keeping a regular watch, just being lazy lately.
              One thing I have seen since I originally started posting is that the quality of the postings has become so good.
              There are so many more informed people now posting.
              Sometimes I just sit here and think I cannot say that any better.
              In any event I'll chirp in when I see an opportunety.
              By the way, you been slowing down on the jokes??
              Also, looks I'll be coming to Vegas the end of August.
              Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
              So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
              Good luck and stay well.
              Glen

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X