If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

PVC's PAC's AFib????

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PVC's PAC's AFib????

I have read through many posts concerning weird beats but I am still just as confused. I understand what they all are/where they originate etc, but can not figure out which ones I have.

Heres my situation....
    -I get what I call 'skipped beats'-my Dr says they are not a 'skipped' beat but a prolonged beat and when it finally beats it comes on with a bang(hence the thud). Is this PVC?
    -Sometimes my heart feels like it is flipping over.
    -I have periods throughout the day where my heart speeds up and/or beats harder for no apparent reason.
    -I get beats that feel like my heart has stopped and isn't going to start up again(it always has ). These are the WORST for me. Scare me every time!!

I am pretty sure all these have been caught on the holter ar one time or another, my card. and GP say not to worry. (Ya right)

My heartbeat is irregular-it speeds up when I inhale and slows down when I exhale- so sometimes my heart feels REALLY funky. This can't be normal right? However I can also go for long stretches where everything feels great.

I know I need to wear a 30 day event monitor - that is one of the many things I plan to ask my card. next visit.

Obviously I am getting an array of different 'beats', how am I to know what needs emergency attention.

Anyone else's heartbeat speed up and slow down with their breathing?

Many many thanks

Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Re: PVC's PAC's AFib????

Sadly, technology isn't to the point where we can diagnose you over the board.

I think you need to see your cardiologist with all your ecgs and monitor reports in hand ans ask them to explain everything that is going on. and perhaps even make a stab at treating your for it! (sarcasm, there, sorry)

anyway, the fact that no one has said "ventricular tachycardia" or "atrial fibrillation" are good things and sugget you probably don't have them, but you need to ask b/c they may be the kind of guys who don't want to scare you.

anyway, if you have mild chest pains that last over two hours or extremely bad chest pains for a shorter period or time or your heart beat is over 100 bpm for 20 minutes or more and shows no signs of stopping, then you should be going to the ER.

Check with your insurance company--many have 24 hour nurse hotlines now and you can call them whenever and ask. they have a treatment protocol and if you meet any "go to the ER now" criteria, they will tell you.

take care,

S

Comment

Heres my situation....
      -I get what I call 'skipped beats'-my Dr says they are not a 'skipped' beat but a prolonged beat and when it finally beats it comes on with a bang(hence the thud). Is this PVC?
      They may well be PVC's - do not worry too much about this, it is rather normal for those with HCM.

-Sometimes my heart feels like it is flipping over.

Again very common for HCM

-I have periods throughout the day where my heart speeds up and/or beats harder for no apparent reason.

Have you been monitoring your heart rate? Are you sure it is really going 'faster' - or it just feels like it?

-I get beats that feel like my heart has stopped and isn't going to start up again(it always has ). These are the WORST for me. Scare me every time!!
      We can relate to this one - it is very common. It is really scary when this happens - but remember this -if you are awake - it is likely going to be fine. As strange as it sounds - it is when you black out that there is normally something to "woory about" however - you have passed out so you are not going to worry as you are not awake - strange but true.

Be well,
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thanks yet again for letting me know I am a normal HCMer. All these questions and feelings I have lived with and no one to talk to. I have found a home at the HCMA.
        By the way I have full intentions on asking for a 30day event monitor when I see my cardiologist next, I would have never known I needed one if it weren't for you all.

Many thanks

Pam
        It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

You are not alone in the way your heart feels. I have had different "beats" going on with my heart for the last 2.5 yrs. I have worn just about every monitor they have. The ones that you push the button when you have an event and the one that you wear for 2 days straight. I get all kinds of different beats all through the day. I agree that the worst one is when you are sitting or standing and all of a sudden it feels like your heart just beat it's last beat. I get like a rush to my head for like a split second and think ok this is it but it always starts beating again! I also get the skipped beats ( my last monitor showed I had 365 in a 24 hour period) Now that is really annoying! Sometimes at night when I lay down in bed my heart feels like it is quivering, like jello. I have to toss around a bit to make it stop. All the docs say these are not anything to worry over. I have had two episodes of ventricular tachycardio for at 3 & 4 beat run but on the monitor when it happened I was not aware of it. The dangerous type of arrythimia and that's the ones I'm not aware of!! Go figure. Anyway, I have gotten to the point where I just go about my business and have faith in God that he will take care of me. But iI know it is very hard to ignore these symptoms. My local doc keeps telling me they are not dangerous and finally I said great but how would you like to feel your heart skip 365 times a day! He shut up.

Comment

I get everything you describe! yes, I totally agree that those beats where your heart feels like it is going to stop (I can feel like an anxious feeling in my sternum area and it is scary). When my boss and I were talking the other day about weird things that happen with your heart (she does NOT have hcm), but she said that she gets palpitations and sometimes gets that heart stop feeling too....
            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
            X