If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Primary Care Doctor referral

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Bettie Find out more about Bettie
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Primary Care Doctor referral

I made an appointment to see Dr. Harry Lever at the Cleveland Clinic , and I will be going there on April 21st. A couple of days ago I received a reminder about the appointment and a list of things to do. One said that I may need a referral from my family doctor, but this wasn't even mentioned in the material that I received several weeks ago right after I made the appointment. I made the appointment for a 2nd opinion. I'm wondering if anyone else needed to have a referral in order to see him.[/b]
    septal myectomy on Jan. 27, 2005

Re: Primary Care Doctor referral

Referrals are an insurance thing and more specifically a HMO thing.
    This all depends on what type of health insurance you have. Contact your insurance company ASAP.
    If you do need a referral it will probably be no big deal. Dr. Lever's office should be able to provide documentation to assist you if your Primary Care Physician needs any convincing.
    The 3 major HCM Clinics know of the tremedous need to be evaluated correctly, and I believe most of the insurance companies don't argue to much about it.
    Good luck with your evaluation.
    Fx

Comment

the letter I recevied from them said to make sure you had a referral if you needed one.

my insurance (thank heavens) is a POS and he is in network (can you believe it) so I paid $15 to see Dr. Lever!!! without a referral.

call your insurance company if you don't know what you need or don't need.

S

Comment

Thank you for all of your information about referrals. I contacted my doctor and he said that he would give me a referral and there will be enough time for me to get it before going to Cleveland.

Comment

You would be seen without the referal but may have problems with your insurance, as noted above, so it is good that you check it out before you go.

Good Luck!
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Thank you Lisa.
            I just had my appointment with Dr. Lever on April 21st at the Cleveland Clinic. It was an exhausting but interesting and rewarding day. I was there from 7:30 am until 7:00 pm that evening.
            When Dr. Lever first checked with the stethoscope he could hear something in my carotid artery and wanted me to take an ultrasound to check that. The test confirmed that I have moderate narrowing of the carotid artery and he prescribed 10mg of lipator a day for that.
            Dr. Lever confirmed my doctor's diagnosis that I do have HCM with severe obstruction. He prescribed 40mg of cosgard a day and I am to let him know how well my body tolerates that. He also wants me to take one baby aspirin a day.
            The Dr. and the technician both said that I did well on the stress echo test. I don't have symptoms with HCM except for fatigue. I stayed on the treadmill for 6 min. , but I do have to admit that I was breathing pretty hard with S.O.B. by the time that I was done.
            Dr. Lever also had me fitted with a Holter Monitor before I left.
            Dr. Lever asked me how I found out about him and the Cleveland Clinic, and I told him that I had found Lisa Salberg's website, and that I had also talked with her on the phone. He said that they had really been getting referrals since she started her website. Last year he said that they had 365 new cases of HCM and many of them were due to Lisa's website. So thank you Lisa for all of your hard work and dedication to educating the public about HCM
            Dr. Lever asked me to come back again in 6 months. He is such a fatherly person and he wanted to know when I was going home and which route I was taking. I feel that I am in good hands with him as my doctor.

Comment

You are very welcome. Dr. Lever is a very kind man and a wonderful doctor. I am sure you are in good hands.

Be well,
              Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X