If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Stem Cell Treatment

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Gary Ballard Find out more about Gary Ballard
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Stem Cell Treatment

While watching PBS I saw new procedures for cardiac treatment using ones' own cells. Has anyone heard, read, etc anything for "US" guys/gals?
    Gary R. Ballard

Re: Stem Cell Treatment

treatment for what?

Comment

Treatment..regrowing damaged heart from infarct,scaring, and the like! Was truly interesting! Just looking for more information!!
      Gary R. Ballard

Comment

Hi Gary. I've heard about using stem cells for some conditions, but I don't think that HCM is one of those thing that it can be used for. HCM is a genetic condition, therefore your DNA has the mutation that causes it. Any stem cells from your own body would have the same DNA. However, that said, it may be something they could use for run of the mill heart attacks, etc.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Gary,
          My father- in-law mentioned the PBS program this afternoon during one of our fascinating visits. He is a PHD biologist (and PHD in physics) retired from ORNL and was very interested and excited about developments being made in the field of "regenerative medicine". I think he said the program was "Miracle Cell" . I'm going to try to get my hands on a copy of the transcript. Like Reenie said, since HCM is genetic it might not be of help to us but.....
          If I find more info I will post.
          Take care,
          Joyce
          \"We are not human beings having a spiritual experience. We are spiritual beings having a human experience.\"
          Pierre Teilhard de Chardin

Comment

I have discussed this issue with our medical advisors many times. It is not something that they feel will yeild much in the HCM world. If I hear anything different I will let you all know!
            Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

How about stem cells from a non-HCM fetus? Hmmmm.
              Burt

Comment

When my son was born I had his cord blood preserved, and we pay to store in in a laboratory. They tell you to do this in case of cancer in family, but I did it because of HCM. Not that I have any guarantees that the cord blood will be useful to him, or someone in our family, but I thought that hey, you never know what they will come up with.
                Daughter of Father with HCM
                Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X