If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

dehrydration

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Abbygirl2 Find out more about Abbygirl2
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• dehrydration

I have read a few posts about people really suffering when they get dehydrated. I drink quite a bit of water so I don't think I would get dehydrated. What are the signs-so I can watch for it?

Thanks
    Pam
    It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Re: dehrydration

Pam,

I notice that my fingers/hands start to swell. The only way I notice it, it because my rings will not come off as easely.
    So throughout the day I play with my rings and if I see that they are starting to get tight, I start drinking more water.

Fred

Comment

from Medline:

Dehydration symptoms:
      Dry or sticky mouth

Low or no urine output; concentrated urine appears dark yellow

Not producing tears

Sunken eyes

Markedly sunken fontanelles (the soft spot on the top of the head) in an infant

Lethargic or comatose (with severe dehydration)

In addition to the symptoms of actual dehydration, you may also have vomiting, diarrhea, or the feeling that you "can't keep anything down", all of which could be causing the dehydration.

Signs and tests   
      A physical examination may also show signs of:
      Low blood pressure

Blood pressure that drops when you go from lying down to standing

Rapid heart rate

Poor skin turgor -- the skin may lack its normal elasticity and sag back into position slowly when pinched up into a fold by the doctor; normally, skin springs right back into position

Delayed capillary refill

Shock

These are for severe dehydration. I know I'm getting dehydrated because 1. I know how much I should be drinking and I know when I've missed my target 2. I get a headache and if it gets really bad, I get nausea, too.

Take care,

S

Comment

Thanks for the replies. Hope your all enjoying your Easter weekend. I do notice that my rings get tighter sometimes, but I thought it was due to swelling, not dehydration. I'll have to watch closer.

Pam
        It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Pam,

You probably have plenty of signs from the other posts to work from as well but I thought that I would throw in a few of mine as well.

A few of these are reiterations of what's been posted already but here are my 'signals': lower blood pressure than typical for me which causes me to feel as if I can't really think clearly (which my husband may argue is a normal thing for me... ), to feel fatigued in a manner that is different than my daily 'down time', dry mouth, headache or generally realizing that I just haven't 'passed' many fluids through my system in the day.

Hope this is helpful. If you are drinking water throughout the day you should be staying well hydrated without a problem. If you do happen to drink caffeine I use the rule of thumb that for each serving of a caffeinated beverage I need to follow with 2 more 8oz servings of water since caffeine dehydrates.

Come to think of it, I'd better go grab another bottle of water for me!
          Lynn
          Lynn Stewart
          HOCM 4/2002
          Cleveland Myectomy Crew 8/2002

Comment

Working...
          X