If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Facial cancer surgery today

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Pam Alexson single mother of 3 wonderful young adults;a special ed teacher, an RN and a senior accountant. Find out more about Pam Alexson
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facial cancer surgery today

Well today I had the cancerous lesion on my face ,left cheek removed. The surgeon having never seen me or my lesion before said "oh my, it is a larger area then I anticipated. I am sorry to tell you it is going to leave a very large scar." He said additionally after the biopsy comes back more may need to be taken. He said it is hard to tell visually where the edges of the lesion are exactly. I am trying to be very thankfull about this being caught early but it makes me feel like I am wearing a target on my back. I am not vain as I have tried to let those days go when my looks were once very important and I struggled with always having to keep up appearances but enough is enough . Today I am wallowing in self pity and know that it will pass as everything does. It reminds me of when I once saw a therapist and I asked him when he thought I would have my breakdown. He looked at me and said do you want to have a breakdown ? Do you have the time or energy for one ? I guess he was right I don't need to have one but one test of my strength after another is really pushing it. I know many of you can certainly identify with what I am feeling so thanks for letting me wallow on your shoulders today. I will be better tomorrow. One more thing , a question. He had to cauterize ,said the bleeding was a big problem because of the aspirin qd. I felt strong palpitations during this and asked if it was a diathermy piece of equipment . He said it was sort of one but was safe to use on a defib patient as it was not grounded like a real cauterie tool . It stopped after he stopped using it what do you think? Thanks for any input . Pam
    Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
    Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
    Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
    SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
    [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
    Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
    Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
    Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Re: Facial cancer surgery today

Pam, I'm not sure about the cauterizer and the defib, but we are certainly here for you to cry to. You know that. I wish you all the best and I'll pray that they took all they needed to the first time.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Pam - I have never met you, never seen a picture and I have no idea what the outer you looks like. I know the inner you, YOU ARE BEAUTIFUL! You can alway see a reconstructive surgeon to touch up the scar if you want.
      Yes, the equipment may have interfered with your device, you may want to check in with a defib clinic and check with them if they want to see you.

Be well!
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hey sweetie,

You have been there for me with every single post i have ever made on this board, and i am here for you anytime you need me. Hang in there, okay? We've both been through a lot together... HCM, cancer, and god only knows what else. You stay here with me, and i promise to do the same.

It gets so discouraging at times that i've felt like giving up more times than i care to think about. Sometimes it feels like your whole body was just put together wrong, and there's just too many problems to deal with. But i'm still hanging around, and so are you, so let's just accept the fact that somebody wants to keep us here regardless

You take care,

Jim
        "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Pam,
          I'm here for you too....dittos to what Lisa said...I think we've all gone through tough times and you don't have to apologize for anything. You'll be in my thoughts and prayers...hang in there.

Cynthia
          \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Pam,

You have been here for me a lot the past few weeks. So anytime you need a shoulder I'm here. PM if you just want to talk and I'll give you my cell number. If it weren't for my HCM friends I'm sure I would have went completly nuts by now!

A big thanks to each and everyone of you who care so much.

Mary S.

Comment

I have to agree with the others. you were really here for felix and myself during the really hard times. I am so sorry you have to go thru all this as well. if anyone deserves some good fortune, its you.

sandy
              Fx

Comment

Pam,I am sorry that you are going through this and hope that you can get your mind around it and get through it as up bet as you help keep other people. I do enjoy reading your notes to other people. I can always count on you for good advice and a smile most of the time. let us know when you need to talk.
                Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Pam, We'll be thinking about you, hang in there. As for the cautery, if you think it affected your heart rate, you are probably right. Do as Lisa says and have your device checked. Please keep us posted, hope you can rest well tonite and feel much better tommorrow. Linda

Comment

Dear Pam,

I am praying that you will recover quickly, they will find no other lesions ever, the biopsy will show no need for further surgery, and that most of all, you will have great peace during this time. Let others care for you and rest and relax!

Rhoda

Comment

I thank you all so much for your kind words , sincere understanding, friendship, support and advise. I am still overwhelmed with how wonderfull everyone of you are . You cannot imagine how you helped me get through the day. It kept going through my brain what the character Chunck in the movie Goonies said to all the kids who befriended him instead of running away in horror because of the way he looked. "HEY YOU GUYS, Chunck luvs you. " My face is sore today and bled some last night but I'm sure it will get better each day. I am going to heed your advise and notify my EP this am. So once again thanks for all you do everyday. Pam
                      [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
                      Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

First to Pam, I hope you are feeling better today and that you know how much we all do care.

To the rest of you...well thanks alot...my makeup is a mess - I am so amazed at the level of support you all have for each other. I know I have said it befor...but I will say it again - thank you all for making my dreams come true. 10 yrs ago who would have dreamed this level of support, friendship and advise would be available to a group of strangers from around the world!

Pam - You hang in there!!

Big hugs to all!
                        Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                        Currently not obstructed

Comment

I'm sorry your make-up is running goes with your job. Lisa I think that you can be very proud indeed for doing such a great service to all of us and additionally fitting in the many tasks you have with this board. Your also having to deal with your share of personal problems as a result of HCM,makes you exceptional. You are like the great parent who guides us all and inspires our lives. Rather significant at this special time of the year Easter time, to acknowledge it, would you all agree? You are all so equally inspiring. An additional note, I have to go to the EP at 2:30 today to be sure that the DOCTOR that did my surgery did not change the settings on my devise with his cautery tool! The good news they tell me is that I did not sustain a shock from this episode! I can not believe that I told him in advance and he dismissed it . Actually we do all believe with all the experiences we have had combined that this could have happened don't we? If I had not heard the sizzling and smelt my flesh burning I would not have said anything and he may have kept it up long enough to cause a shock .I'm being too generous here and think he must have been overwhelmed with the bleeding and forgot what I said? Probably not huh? Well I'll let you know what happens. Thanks . Pam

Comment

Let us know how you do at the doctors.

Take care,
                            Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Pam, please update us after your appointment. I'm sorry that this is yet another trial. You'll come through with flying colors!

Reenie
                              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X