If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

A question about how HCM is "Expressed"

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

felixdacat Find out more about felixdacat
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A question about how HCM is "Expressed"

Here’s a question that all the research that I’ve done in the last 6 months, I’ve never run across this subject.
    As we all know, the root problem with HCM is that the cellular structure of the heart muscle is chaotic, rather the in an ordered pattern that is found in normal hearts.
    Are HCM patients born with the chaotic cellular structure, and then when the disease is “expressed” does the septum begin to grow?
    Or do we start out with normal cell structure, and then the disease gets “expressed” by the cells going chaotic, which then is followed by the septum growing?
    Fx

Re: A question about how HCM is "Expressed"

Great question. I only know that the thickening of the muscle tissue is due to the malalignment of the cells. The jumble cells actually make "lumps" in the muscle, which thicken it.

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

That IS a great question Felix. I've always assumed that the disarray in cellular structure is present at birth, and then manifests itself as the heart muscle grows through adolescence along with the rest of the body. I'll be interested in seeing what the response is to your question.
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I have heard it debated both ways... with no great answer yet. However you are on to something...because once this is better understood we have a better chance of controlling HCM.

Lisa
        Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
        YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
        lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
        Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
        Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
        Currently not obstructed
        Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Dang!
          Here was my thinking.
          If the heart cell structure is chaotic to begin with, then it would be difficult or impossible to find a treatment that would change the structure to normal. Therefore, the only possible treatment would be one in which the growth of the septum could be prevented, or if it has already begun to grow, reversed. This would still leave the cell structure of the heart abnormal, and therefore have no effect on the flexability of the heart muscle. It would also have no effect on the electrical issues that many HCM patients have. So even if this type of treatment could be created, people with HCM would still have symptoms.
          However, if the heart at one point goes from normal to abnormal, it is theoretically possible that the switch can be turned off or reversed. Therefore, a pure cure could one day happen.
          Hey, do you think its too late for me to become a bio-engineer?....Yes
          Fx

Comment

Felix I think the anesthesia has finally worn off and it appears that your thinking pretty clear now . Did you hook up the wireless for Sandy yet? I don't believe it is ever too late to become anything you want. Isn't what your saying sort of what they believe they will one day do with embriotic cells. They will be abe to grow hearts without disease or take DNA from genetically clear individuals and replicate heathy individuals. Is this something related to what they did at The Seidman Clinic in which they replicated the genome for HCM in the rats in the lab? Maybe I have it all screwed up . Anyway keep on thinking!. Pam
            Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
            Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
            Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
            SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
            [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
            Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
            Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
            Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

no wireless yet hoping by the end of the week , while he still
              has 1/2 days at work. I think going back to work helped to clear the mind
              a bit. he did set up my sons RC cars the other day, and fixed a few other things around the house.

Also I am happy to say that felix is now part of the family again. the kids
              really enjoy having their daddy back.
              sandy

Comment

Sandy,
                I am glad to hear things are getting back to "normal".
                Best wishes,
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
                X