If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

genetics and hcm

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Chuck B Find out more about Chuck B
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• genetics and hcm

I am still baffled by the source of my hcm. I was diagnosed 35 years ago and no one in the family has shown any symptoms(I have 5 brothers - all atheletes). My mom had an eco and was cleared and my dad is now 87 with no problems. Both of my children have had eco's and they have been negative thank god. Is there ever a source that is not genetic?

Second question. As I mentioned, both of my girls have been checked for hcm(ages 24 and 19) and are clear so far. Are the odds good that they will never show up with desease and how often should they be tested?

Thanks ,

Chuck B
    Chuck B

An inch is a cinch, a yard is hard

Re: genetics and hcm

Current recommendations call for them to be screened every 5 years throughout life.

You could well be a sporatic mutation and you may have NOT passed it on to your kids....but please encourage them to screen every 5 yrs just to be sure.

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I, too, am a mutant haha. So far no one in my immediate family has HCM and as far back as my grandparents can remember no one has had any type of heart trouble. I just hope in the event that I have kids someday they do not get it.

Comment

Hi Chuck -

When my son was diagnosed at two days of age, we also wondered how he came to have this. Nobody in either family ever had any signs or symptoms of HCM. I have two young daughters who have been cleared (so far - will keep checking as suggested) and a newborn son who has yet to be checked. Keanu (the affected son) is currently going to a geneticist, requested by his cardiologist. It appears as though Keanu may also be the mutant in our family

SheliRenee
        Mom of Keanu
        4 years old (will be in March)
        Dx at 2 days old with Biventricular hypertrophy
        Dx at 6 weeks with HOCM
        Dx at 5 months with V-tach
        Dx at 3 with Noonan Syndrome

Comment

I just love that term "sporatic mutation ".
          I'm thinking of having a T-Shirt made for the June conference with that on it. :P
          So far, there is no sign that anyone in my family in my generation has HCM. No one in my parents generation had it either. There is a slim chance that my grandfather and one other person of his generation may have had it because they both died suddenly in their late fifties, early sixties, but due to the classic jewish diet, they more likely just had heart failure. We'll never know anyway.
          So there is a 98% chance that I'm a sporatic mutation. Woo Hoo!
          Fx

Comment

Originally posted by felixdacat
            So there is a 98% chance that I'm a sporatic mutation.
            We might have guessed
            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Please understand that a "sporatic mutation" means it "started with you"... your children still have a 50/50 shot of getting the gene.

Lisa
              Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
              YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
              lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
              Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
              Currently not obstructed
              Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

It still will make a cool T-Shirt!
                Fx

Comment

Originally posted by felixdacat
                  It still will make a cool T-Shirt!
                  If you get this shirt made, please please take a picture and post it here for us! I'd love to see it!

Reenie
                  Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                  3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                  X