If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Liver Function

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

shirleymahoney Born In Tulsa Oklahoma and have a wonderful husband and 2 great children Find out more about shirleymahoney
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Liver Function

Well guys I think i may know why it's been hard on me to loose all this fluid, my liver fuction is not good according to my PCP doctor, he said he wants me to come back in a week for retesting but also said it could be because of my recent surgery, but wouldn't the hospital have caught that being i was there for 10 days and had blood taken from me daily, I called my cardiologist last week and he said to up my lasix to 80mg a day and see what happens but so far nothing, I just hope that he doesn't put me back in the hospital but we'll see. I hope everyone is having a good weekend

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Re: Liver Function

Hi Shirley,
    My doctor told me to weigh myself every morning, and if I was a pound or more heavier to increase my Lasix from 40 to 80 mg for the day. (A pint weighs a pound.) I’ve had elevated liver function tests in the past due to the drug I was taking for my lipid problem. At one point the level was so high I had to quit the drug for two months. I have since changed to a newer, better drug and my liver function tests are again normal.

With me the fluid problem is primarily a function of my damaged kidneys, not my liver. At one point I was up to 160 mg of Lasix, and had both a fluid problem and a dehydration problem. It sure is a crazy world we live in. Believe me, it may not be noticeable without a scale, but Lasix really does work.

Why don’t you try the morning weigh-in and see what happens. Hopefully it will give you some piece of mind.
    Burt

Comment

Burt

i do weigh every morning my husband has even made a chart for me so i can keep track of it being i had such a huge problem with fluid after surgery

I hope you are doing ok now and i also wanted to ask about your wife and how she is, i bet you gave her a scare didn't you with this hospital thing huh, burt take care we need you around here

Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Yeah, my Shirley’s a trouper. Our big problem is that ever since she developed epilepsy she doesn’t drive, and she hates to impose on others. The hospital is just a few miles from the house, but the cab fares are ridicules. A friend brought her to the hospital to visit on Tuesday, but we normally just talk on the phone a number of times a day.

I’ll bet you did a bigger number on Ken then I did on Shirley. Take care of yourself too – and remember, when in doubt – heal.
        Burt

Comment

Hi Shirley, Sorry to here of your recent problems. Have they tried Zaroxylin? It is a very powerfull diuretic and requires a tight , carefull management . I had to use it for a couple days a week alternating with the Lasix. It really kicks butt so be for warned if your doc tries it. I weighed myself every few hours with it as it really opened the flood gates and I had to step up my po intake of fluid and my potassium and magnesium accordingly. I would back off with the pm Lasix for that day if it was working well. With me the whole picture gets a little more murcky when the outdoor temp goes up a bit( I start holding fluid. ) I find when the fluid is up I have to get it cool in the house take the diuretic get on the couch , feet up and let the action start. As a nurse working in the past with many different docs of different sorts ,the urologists would always remind me to inform my patients in home care to get down and feet up so gravity did not fight the process. It worked fairly well if I could get them to comply for at least 2-3 hours after dosing. How much fluid did you keep after surgery? I had 18 and I remember what a problem it was. It came off so fast with upping the Lasix 120mgs in 3 hours on the 5th day post op, I dropped 3 liters in 4 hours. The problem is so close to surgery my heart was still so very unstable electrically that I slammed into a high rate of a-fib as if someone had flipped a switch. So be carefull with your diuresing too quickly. If you haven't tried the aforementioned give it a whirl. Talk to your doc first though please. Good luck. Pam
          Dx @ 47 with HOCM & HF:11/00
          Guidant ICD:Mar.01, Recalled/replaced:6/05 w/ Medtronic device
          Lead failure,replaced 12/06.
          SF lead recall:07,extracted leads and new device 2012
          [email protected] Tufts, Boston:10/5/03; age 50. ( [email protected] 240 mmHg ++)
          Paroxysmal A-Fib: 06-07,2010 controlled w/sotalol dosing
          Genetic mutation 4/09, mother(d), brother, son, gene+
          Mother of 3, grandma of 3:Tim,27,Sarah,33w/6 y/o old Sophia, 5 y/o Jack, Laura 34, w/ 5 y/o old Benjamin

Comment

one that that can really affect the liver is too much tylenol. Another is if your gallbladder is not functioning properly, i.e. gallstones. I had
            elevated liver enzymes at one point and since I had no gallbladder they
            did a procedure to check for stones in my liver. I was clean. The
            only thing is that I could think of is that I ahd taken a couple of
            tylenols around the same time. I now stick to advil mostly and I am
            careful with how much I take.

Sorry about the trouble you are still having. Dont know if this helped any

sandy (logged in as felix)
            Fx

Comment

Well thank you everyone I will bring all this up to my doctor and see what he says, i upped my lasix already, but again thank you

Shirley
              Diagnosed 2003
              Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

Hello. I too have a great deal of problems with fluid retention. I am on 150 mg of Demadex daily. I have found that I really needed to pay alot more attenttion to my salt intake and daily weights. I also go by how loose my ring is on my finger. Salt is hidden in so many things. You really have to watch the lables. I also am very strict with my fluid intake. Talk to you own cardiologist and ask him how much fluid you should be taking in. I find when I am very careful with my fluid intake (under 1000 ml day, or less than one liter) and salt intake, I have much better days. Just a thought. Good luck to all.
                Pat Grall
                Hi I have had an ablation and have gone from hypertrophic cardiomypathy to dilated cardiomypathy. Ug. But I do OK

Comment

Shirley,

When will you see Dr. Gilligan again? What other meds are you on? Have you been able to get up and walk around yet?

Yeh I know I ask a great many questions!

Take care,
                  Lisa
                  Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                  YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                  lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                  Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                  Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                  Currently not obstructed
                  Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Lisa

I see Dr. Gilligan the 13th of April, he doesn't know about the liver thing just my PCP doctor, I would think that he would call Doctor Gilligan and talk with him about it

As far as meds, 240mgs of diltiazem, 80mg of lasix, 40mg of Potassium, 10mg of lexapro, Aleve twice a day for pain, 81mg baby asprin daily

And i'm up to a mile now with my walking, i have been walking since i came home from the hospital

Oh and i take 500mg of Advair twice daily

P.S could you tell me how long the weight restriction is after surgery, i saw on the list my doctor made up for me that he scratched out 6 weeks and put 5 pound restriction for 3 months is this normal?

Shirley
                    Diagnosed 2003
                    Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

What is causing you all to have so much water retention. Is this another thing that will happen because of HMC?
                      Tammy

Comment

Tammy I have also got CHF, that can cause fluid retention, and liver problems also, but just since surgery for the liver problems. not all of the HCM patients have this problem just a few of us, i hope you are doing well

Shirley
                        Diagnosed 2003
                        Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

I've always seemed to have a fluid retention problem, I think some people are just more prone to it than others. It was much worse prior to my Myectomy. Since my Myectomy I was advised to restrict my sodium to 600 mg daily (very difficult!), weigh myself daily (I have a digital scale) and I've switched from lasix to Bumex. I feel I have it under better control with the Bumex than I did with Lasix- just a thought.
                          RONNIE
                          RONNIE

Comment

Please do not wait 2 weeks to tell him, please call his office today and let him know.

PLEASE - overprotective Lisa is asking you nicely

Thanks!
                            Lisa
                            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                            Currently not obstructed
                            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

HI Shirley
                              What is CHF?
                              Tammy

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X