If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Screening children for HCM

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mimoo55 Find out more about mimoo55
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Screening children for HCM

Hello,
    I am new here and have a question about children being screened for hcm. My husband was diagnosed with HOCM last year. Our daughters are ages 28 and 30. They have been screened for hcm and do not have it. We have been told different opinions about whether it will show up later in life. They both have been told that if they don't have it now that they are o.k. for the rest of their lives. My husband's dr. says that is not accurate and they need to be screened for the rest of their lives. Can anyone answer this question for me?

Thanks,
    Paula

Re: Screening children for HCM

They're going to need to be checked for the rest of their lives. HCM in many cases does not 'express' itself till later in life. 5 years ago, my heart was normal, 4 years ago they discovered HCM, 2 years ago I became symtomatic, and 6 months ago they added 'obstructional' to the diagnosis.
    I believe there are guidlines somewhere on this website, but they only need to have echos done every few years (and the technicians must be instructed to look for HCM).
    How is your husband doing with his HOCM? Anybody who has that 'O' in their diagnosis should give Lisa a call.
    Fx

Comment

Hey Felix,

My husband is doing fairly well. He had septal alcohol ablation last November. He had heart block and had to have a pacer implanted. He had a follow up stress echo yesterday in St. Louis. His dr. was out of town and will give us a call. Another dr. was in while the test was done and said the procedure had done well. His stressed gradient was minimal. His mitral valve was not being pulled on or rubbed against anymore. His symptoms have been relieved. His main complaint now is fatigue. He also saw the ep dr. and had his pacer reprogrammed. Do you have hcm?
      Thanks,
      Paula

Comment

Hey Felix,

I see that you have HOCM. How are you doing?

Paula

Comment

Paula,
          There is a long thread in the Septal reduction section about my recent myectomy. Today is a good day. Its way too soon to tell if the surgery was successful, but all signs point to a good result.
          One more thing.
          If they could isolate all the genetic markers for HCM, there would be a possibility of a test that could tell once and for all whether a person could get it. Since they have only found roughly 10 markers, we are still have a long way to go.
          A good guess would be 5-20 years down the road.
          Fx

Comment

the old thinking was that it only showed up when you were young but in the last few years they've been finding a lot of it in older people.

the odds are against your children having it show up later, but it is possible. they only need to be tested every 5 years instead of the annual echo they would expect of a growing child/teen. they shouldn't over worry.

so they are pretty close to being out of the woods.

s

Comment

Hi S,

Thank you for information. We have grandchildren that need screening. We have a 1 month old granddaughter that has had a suspicious ekg and is scheduled for another one next month. Does she need to have an echo?

Paula

Comment

Paula, I would get her screened. An abnormal EKG on an infant may or may not mean anything. You'd feel better if you knew what was going on.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

An echo is the only way to know if you have HCM or not. Especially with a suspicious ecg--if they don't offer an echo, get an echo.

good luck,
                  s

Comment

In several weeks there will be new article published listing the screening guidelines that are recommended in hypertrophic cardiomyopathy. They are is followed:
                    from birth to age 12-
                    if there is a significant family history of sudden death or severe symptoms
                    participation in competitive athletics
                    heart murmur
                    any symptoms consistent with HCM.

From ages 12 to 20-
                    annual screenings

From 20 throughout life-
                    every five years.

We will be announcing the article in our newsletter when it is published.

Sincerely,
                    Lisa
                    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                    Currently not obstructed
                    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

I've glanced through the archives and can't get a solid answer to the question of how to screen children.

Specifically, for my 4 month old baby girl, is an EKG sufficient for screening or does she need an echo also? (NOTE: She's not showing any symptoms that I can discern, we're just doing this to get her started on a regular screening routine.).

I was under the impression that an echo was the only way to know for sure about hcm/hocm. However, the pediatric cardiologist that my pediatrician consulted said to do an electrocardiogram. Our pediatrician is very supportive and I'd bet that she'd do a referral for an echo + ekg if I asked her. On the other hand, I don't want the baby going through unnecessary testing. We have her 4 month check-up tomorrow so I'd like to request the echo referral then if necessary.

So, to be concise, I need the collective HCMA wisdom on how to screen an infant. Are there any published guidelines on screening infants for HCM?

Comment

Hi DJS,
                        Check out Lisa’s posting – just before yours. Also, if you’re concerned about it, an echo is a non-invasive procedure and will not harm the baby. It may however set a lot of minds at rest.
                        Burt

Comment

Originally posted by Burton Borrok
                          Hi DJS,
                          Check out Lisa’s posting – just before yours. Also, if you’re concerned about it, an echo is a non-invasive procedure and will not harm the baby. It may however set a lot of minds at rest.
                          Burt
                          But it doesn't say what the screening should consist of.

Comment

Usual screenings are echos and EKG's. I'm not sure, but I think it's unusual to screen an infant unless you have some reason to suspect a problem. (heart murmur, etc) I don't blame you for wanting to know what's going on in there though. I've had my kids tested 3 times in almost 4 years. The youngest was 4 at the time of his first screening. Each time they do an echo and an EKG. So far all of my kids have come up negative for HCM. I hope this helps.

Reenie
                            Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                            3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

My son had an ekg( a few) when he was born, and then at 2yrs old they did an echo, it was inconclusive so they did it again at 3. He checked out fine and my Dr said he wouldn't need one for 5 more yrs(unless something comes up). I would have requested one if my Dr hadn't, I NEEDED to know my little guy was alright. My 12 yr old had one 2 yrs ago and I am trying to get him in for another one.

Pam
                              It's not what you gather, but what you scatter that tells what kind of life you have lived.

Dx in Feb/99. Obstructed. No ICD, no surgeries, no family history. 2 sons ages 14 and 6.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X