If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

gall bladder and hcm

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

faith smith Find out more about faith smith
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• gall bladder and hcm

A few days ago I had emergency gall bladder surgery. The pain preceding the surgery was most similar to that experienced in my hcm episodes, with the exception that the site was sore to the touch, which isn't the case with hcm, and the pain's intensity continued to increase. Dr. Link (NEMC) where I had the surgery, said that he is hopeful that the gall bladder problems may be linked in some way to my increasing hcm symptoms of shortness of breath and complete intolerance to exercise. Ironically, I have just entered the HCM Clinic at NEMC, after 15 years with Dr. Estes at NEMC, and the day of my first appointment I collapsed with a hcm episode so could not be completely tested. Within four days I was back in NEMC with the gall bladder. Seems coincidental. Is there anyone who can attest to some link between gall bladder and hcm, or better yet, anyone who has found that after removal of gall bladder, her hcm symptoms lightened up? I already searched the general forum with no results. As always, thanks.

Re: gall bladder and hcm

Hi Faith. After years of having "stomach problems" I had my gall bladder removed last April. It was in awful shape. I have not noticed a reduction in HCM symptoms. But then what you describe as an HCM episode I have never experienced. My symptoms are more of a constant limitation. I only experience significant pain if I engage physically beyond a certain point. It would be interesting to know if there is any kind of correlation between HCM and gall bladder problems.

Peace,

Leon
    God Squad co-moderator
    Nothing is as gentle as strength and nothing is as strong as gentleness

Comment

Hi,

I doubt that there is a correlation because there are just so many people with gall bladder problems out there. Inevitably a lot of people with HCM will also have gall bladder problems. However, I do definitely think there is a similarity in the pain from both. I had my gall bladder out several years ago after having years of pain and problems and both pancreas and liver damage as a result. I was often writhing in pain on the floor. Not long after I got it out, I commented to the doc that I was still having pain, but he did not pay any attention until I reported that I was back to writhing on the floor. At that time, about 4 years ago, he did an ekg and found significant abnormalities. So, were all those pains gall bladder or were some of them HCM? Who knows, but I suspect some were HCM as I am now having that pain almost daily (but short of the writhing, I am glad to say) and can definitely see a correlation with exertion or arrhythmias.

Rhoda

Comment

Thanks Rhoda and Leon. I think you're right. My symptoms have returned. I wonder why Dr. Link thought there might be a correlation? I'll find out when I go in to the clinic again. I do notice that I am more comfortable in the general chest region without the gb, however.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
        X