If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Appointment

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Appointment

Hi All,

Had my appointment with the cardiologist.

My heart gave the doc a good show today. Usually it seems to quiet down before an appointment and make a liar out of me. LOL. You know how that goes. But i'm having a pretty bad HCM day (week, month) so he got to see and hear all the fireworks.

My blood pressure was 150/90 which is very high for me. It's usually right around 110/80 or close to that. He reiterated that although we should continue to exhaust all drug options, he isn't very confident that drugs alone can tackle my high gradient (and the symptoms). He's setting me up with a Holter monitor on monday to try and get a better picture of what's going on.

I kinda get the impression from him that my HCM is on the downward spiral right now. Although the septal wall thickness doesn't really change over the years, he explained that the high gradient puts a lot of stress on different areas of the heart (mitral valve, etc.) and that over time, symptoms can get progressively worse as the ol' ticker wears out. Makes sense i guess.

He doesn't have any answers for me, but at least he was good enough to come right out and say that, which i respect. He wants me to see a colleague of his at the University of Pittsburgh Medical Center who has apparently devoted his practice over the last ten years specifically to HCM. I'll send a message to Lisa and see if she's heard of him.

He was also good enough to write a letter to the chairman of my department at school to outline what's been going on. I was in the hospital last week for one of my midterms, and i've been looking and feeling pretty haggard lately. Even the cardiologist today told me i look like crap and asked me if i was using recreational drugs. Yikes! I know i'm no beauty queen these days... but really

Thanks,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: My Appointment

Jim, Iam glad you are happy with your new doc. It must be nice to have a doc. that will tell you that he is stumped and send you to someone eles. Let us know what the other doc has to say. Just remember sometimes we look better then we feel and sometimes we feel better then we look. I don't know which one is better. Hang in there and have a great day.
    Donna B. HCM & ICD. 2 sons with HCM. Brother passed away from HCM at the age of 39. Mother has HCM.

Comment

Re: My Appointment

Gosh, Jim. Recreational drugs??? I sure hope you get to feeling lots better soon. Take care and let me know if there's anything I can do.

Reenie
      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
      X