If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

v the engey drink??

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

smelly_cat1234 Find out more about smelly_cat1234
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• v the engey drink??

heya

how are you all ? i don't know if any one remembers me but owell

jut a questiion the enengy drink "V" is that that all good 2 drink ??cos some one told me its meant 2 incress ur heart rate and stuff and i alway drink it

take care
    one and only
    em*

Re: v the engey drink??

According to the V website, these are the main ingredients:

Sucrose
    - Common table sugar for sweetness

Guarana
    - Extracted from the berries of the Brazilian Guarana plant. This ingredient has garnered a worldwide reputation for having a stimulating effect on mind and body.

Caffeine
    - Stimulating effect similar to a cup of coffee. Note: there is slightly less caffeine in ‘V' (78mg per 250ml) compared to an average cup of instant coffee (at 100 mg per 250ml). The level of caffeine in 'V' is set to ensure that 'V' fully complies with the Food Standards Code at all times.

B Vitamins
    - Repair and revitalise your body.

Taurine
    - Taurine is an amino acid that is important for metabolism even though it is not used for protein synthesis like other amino acids. It is involved in the normal functioning of the gallbladder, eyes, heart, brain and appears to have some antioxidant and detoxifying activity. Taurine is a component of bile acids, which help absorb fats and fat-soluble vitamins.

Caffeine levels in sample beverages and foods

Product
    Caffeine mg/100ml

V 31

Red Bull 32

Mountain Dew 15

Coca Cola 10

Coffee - brewed 65

Coffee - instant 50

Tea 40

Cocoa beverage 3

Chocolate milk 20*

* Units per 100g

Here is some information about Guarana:

Guarana contains a high amount of guaranine, a chemical substance with the same characteristics as caffeine. This makes Guarana a stimulant similar to coffee, which means that it:

quickens perceptions
    delays sleep
    helps with endurance based activities
    can help to recover from a hangover
    impairs the appetite
    will lead to more frequent visits to the toilet
    causes a higher blood pressure and an increased heart rate
    can make you feel jittery and may prevent sleep at all.

If I were you, I would stop drinking that stuff. I personally have stopped drinking all caffeine, including sodas, tea, coffee, whatever, and I have noticed a big difference in my arrythmias. If this drink only had caffeine in it, it might not be too dangerous, but guarana plus the caffeine sounds like it could be a recipe for disaster.

You should research all supplements etc. before you take them. You only have one life, and all it takes is one time, even if nothing bad has ever happened when you drank this drink before.
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

I would not drink Red Bull - I do not know what is in V - but think it is similar. Please becarful this stuff can be very dangerous when your heart is not "normal".
      Lisa
      Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
      YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
      lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
      Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
      Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
      Currently not obstructed
      Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi everone,

Don't know about the rest of you, but drinks like Red Bull etc. have a terrible effect on my symptoms. I may as well do a line of cocaine, which of course, would be extremely dangerous. That stuff makes anyone's heart race, let alone those of us with HCM/HOCM! THey are also soooo nasty!!

Cheers from Down Under,

Paul
        Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
        X