If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Appointment

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

THG Find out more about THG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Appointment

Well, I finally got my appointment staightened out and will see Dr. Lever around the second week in March. I want to see what my options are in that my cardiologist says not to do any heavy lifting or stenous activity. I work at heavy construction, So he said that disability may become an option. Also can anyone tell me how workplace stress effects HOCM, in general. I also have HCV and Broncial Asthma. Any insights would be appreciated

Re: Appointment

THG,

I was diagnosed last year with HOCM and also did heavy manual labor at my job (not construction though). I was becoming very symptomatic and it was decided that i couldn't do that kind of work anymore. Disability is usually not an option for us since there is other, less-strenuous work that we can most-likely do. I was eligible for unemployment when i lost my job, and the OVR (Office of Vocational Rehabilitation) is providing funding for me to go back to school. Through the ADA your employer may be able to make reasonable accomodation for you at work (i.e. less strenuous work) if available. Disability is next to impossible to get, if there is any work at all that you are capable of performing. There's also insurance issues to consider... with HCM, once you lose it... it's very hard (and expensive) to get back.

Others will chime in here as well... but that's my story.

Take care,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Thanks Jim, I would rather keep working. i have some options open for supervisory type work in my company. What I need to check out is the effect stess plays in this disease because because that's the big
      downside in supervision.

Comment

Stress is such an individual thing that it's hard to say how it will affect you. Some people have a very hard time coping and become very symptomatic. Others have no trouble at all. I wish I could tell you more.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Thanks Reenie, I'm just trying to look ahead a little bit to what's next after the evaluation.

Comment

I know that when I'm nervous about something, my heart starts racing. Stressing out will do that also....I take a couple of deep breaths and am beginning not to sweat the small stuff..
            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Many things seem to effect my HOCM (and cause symptoms), Stress does Not seem to be a Trigger for me.
              In regard to Disability, I have a partial story. I'm, 56 & had a Myectomy last summer. I went back to work (after 3 months), but then began to have some serious Pain & SOB. My local Cardiologist told me "it was time to stop working" & he would respond to all inquiries that I was not capable of working. I have applied for SS Disability-but have no decision as yet. I am also aware that my age (over 55) puts me in a different catagory& therefore it is "easier" to be eligilable for Disability. I will keep you all "posted" on the process, so far I have completed all forms & signed Release of Info for my Drs. I was told this decision could take 5-6 months. Fortunately my Blue Cross is covered by my Husband's Company so I'm safe there! (Without my Blue Cross & Perscription Co-Pay-I would be in BIG TROUBLE!)
              ronnie
              RONNIE

Comment

Thanks , you guys for posting back. I just got back from seeing " The Passion of Christ". It was wonderful !
                Well I know disability is a long shot, but I'm just trying look at all the possibilities.
                It's just good to have someone to relate to. This is all knew to me. I thought my HCV was going to be my biggest hurdle but then this reared it's ugly head.
                So, I'm gonna just trust the Lord and keep moving forward.Thanks again Ed :P

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                X