If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Hi, It's Been A While

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Dolly W Find out more about Dolly W
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Hi, It's Been A While

Although I have not posted recently, I have been catching up on the posts about once a month. I felt that I needed a little time away. I felt as if I were "obsessing" over my health so I kept my time on the board to a minimum.

Since my myectomy 16 months ago, I have lost 60# YEAH! Recently, I began walking a mile a day, which is amazing for someone who couldn't walk fifteen feet to the bathroom without SOB.

I read with interest some of the posts about dieting. I have been following the WW (Weight Watchers) plan - this is what works for me. However, I have noticed that after carbohydrate ingestion, my symptoms seem to increase. I have also been recently diagnosed as borderline diabetic. I'm sure that there is some kind of connection there - i.e. diabetic + carbs = symptoms. As addicted as I am to carbs, I think it's time to consider adding more protein to my diet.

It's good to know that everyone is doing well. To all the ones about to embark on the myectomy journey, you are in my thoughts and prayers.

Lisa, thanks again for all your help & keep up the great work!
    HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Re: Hi, It's Been A While

Hi Dolly,
    I read your posting with interest, but I would like to make a suggestion. A high protein diet can be very hard on the kidneys. For a long term way of eating change, I would suggest increasing your vegetable and salad intake, but watch the salad dressing.

I love starches too, but being a diabetic, they no longer like me.
    Burt

Comment

Hi Burt,

I guess I should have specified that I get plenty of fruit and veggies in my diet already I just meant adding more protein than I already eat (which is not much).

Thanks for the heads up!
      HOCM, Septal Myectomy 10/02 (Mayo Clinic), Medtronic ICD 10/07, TIA 10/07

Comment

Okie Dokie Dolly,
        It’s just that I have a bunch of maladies and my dietitian told me my plate should be half veggies, one quarter protein and one quarter carb’s. She also said I should limit my animal proteins to six ounces a day. I’m sure that would be a healthy diet for anybody, but I don’t know any American who eats that way – at least not on their own. I don’t mean to get up on a soap box, but I do mention it to my friends if the subject arises.

I see on your profile that you are a Dietary Manager – You obviously know a lot more about the subject then I do. Do you have any tips for me?
        Burt

Comment

Dolly,
          It is nice to hear from you!

I am glad to hear you are feeling well! Can you offer any advice to those heading for myectomy on how you managed your recovery?

Best wishes,
          Lisa
          Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
          YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
          lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
          Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
          Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
          Currently not obstructed
          Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
          X