If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Update from NASPE

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Update from NASPE

[Update from NASPE]

Author: Lisa (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 05-09-02 00:05

Hello to all,

I am writing to you from San Diego and the North America Society of Pacing and Eletrophysiology annual Meeting.

This morning before Sharon Bates and I set up the booth I attended a session entitled "The Spectrum of HCM in Pediatrics". The speakers included Dr. Jeff Towbin, Dr. Steven Lipshultz, Dr. Barry Maron, Dr. Marc Ovadia, Dr Robert Weintraub, and Dr Michael Silka

The general message from the session was that children with HCM have a much better prognosis then ever thought before. The risk of sudden death is lower then reported in previous reports, mostly due to referal center bias. This meaning all the reports and data had been collected from only 1 or 2 centers, these centers only see the sickest of patients, therefore the data is skewed to the negitive.

The incidence of sudden death in the very young was interesting, in the 1st yr of life the risk, in a study by Lipshultz, the risk was about 1.5% then it lowers significantly each year of life up to 10 years old. The risk increase again though the teen years.

The issue of defib. implant was discussed. while all agree it is a serious step and requires careful selection, it is an option that those children with one or more risk factor should evaluate this treatment option.

The topic of surgical treatment for obstruction was discussed and it is viewed a the standard of care for children who have not responded to medication. Interestingly 2 cases were presented in children who had prior surgury and had regrowth. In these 2 cases they attempted Alcohol Septal Ablation. These cases were met with a great deal of concern from those in attendance. While the 2 case did reasonably well it was the overwelming opinion that this procedure should not be done in children.

I will write more tomorrow night if I am awake!

The good new here is the reseachers are working hard for us and I will have some more updates soon!

All the Best!

Lisa
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X