If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Nutraceuticals?

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Nutraceuticals?

[Nutraceuticals?]

Author: Bruce (---.ipt.aol.com)

Date: 05-08-02 22:16

I’m new to this board and have been very impressed with the feedback to many of the questions, most of which I’ve had over the years as a HCM person.

I’ve been reading quite a bit lately about the benefits of nutraceuticals like Polyunsaturated Fatty Acids (PUFA), Vitamin E and Coenzyme Q10 in the treatment of arrhythmia. Most of these can be found at the local GNC. My question, does anyone here know if these provide any benefit to people with HCM? Or should these supplements be avoided?

Thanks for any feedback you can give me,

Bruce

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Nutraceuticals?]

Author: Lisa (---.proxy.aol.com)

Date: 05-09-02 00:11

Bruce,

You should talk to your doctor before you add suppliments to your program. There is no published data on suppliments and HCM, there is some non peer reviewed data about co-Q10 and they claim it improves cardiac function in HCM. I tried it for a while and felt no different (45 days). It is expensive and I did not find any improvements, so I did not feel it was worth it.

I will keep my ears open for data and if I find anything I will post it on the site.

All the Best!

Lisa Salberg

HCMA

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: Nutraceuticals?]

Author: s. beckley -moderator (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 05-09-02 08:45

Dear Bruce

Just a reminder that HCM patients need to be sure that if they do decide to take any supplements that they do not interfere with any of their heart medications, increase or decrease blood pressure, thin or thicken the blood, or increase/decrease heart rate. This is information can be hard to find for some supplements.

Sarah
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X