If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

losing weight/helping symptoms

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• stmprscrpr
    replied
    Re: losing weight/helping symptoms

Hi All,

I've lost 60 lbs. since last April following the Atkins diet and I love it. I've lost all cravings for high carb food and don't have problems with hunger like I did with other low fat type diets. I do feel better and have been able to actually do some exercising. Before I had more SOB and episodes of CHF. My recent blood tests all came back with better cholesterol numbers. I plan to follow the Atkins maintenance plan as a way of life to keep the weight off after losing another 20 lbs. For anyone considering a low carb diet like South Beach or Atkins, I recommend the Low Carb Friends message board for support. http://www.low-carb-friends.com

Dolly Y

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

Reducing the whites is certainly a good idea for any eating plan.
    White flour does more damage than good.
    I have never been a fan of white bread, I always eat whole grain, rye etc.
    Just recently we switch from white pasta to whole grain and they are quite good.
    I eat moderate amounts of potatoe (not amoung my favorites), but I have to admit, I love rice and not brown rice.
    So what the heck one out of four is not bad.

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hi Marv,
    What you say makes a lot of sense. However Iím a diabetic on insulin, and Iím told to eat something every four to five hours to keep my bodyís sugar / insulin level even, avoiding the highs and lows that do the damage. I guess science, farming and industry has progressed further and faster then our ability to still make intelligent food choices Ė now that we have all those food choices available. The cave man obviously only had to eat what was available to him at the time.

On the other hand the life expectancy of a cave man was in the twenties. Iím in my seventies. Frankly, Iíll take todayís living problems over theirs any day. I guess there are no easy answers to anything. We still have to use our brains to survive. Your comments indicate that your brain is working just fine. Most people would not have even considered where we came from, dietetically speaking. Thanks for the thoughts.
    Burt

Leave a comment:

• marvwaschke
    replied

How strange our diet and metabolisms have become. I am not talking about Atkins, South Beach, Wait Watchers, and whatever comes next. I read somewhere that cavemen lived on lean protein (I think that meant stringy and tough, not a carefully trimmed prime rib) and a few vegetables and fruits in season. Even cereal grains, let alone refined sugar, were late additions to the human diet. Mostly, humans of long ago went hungry and ate what they could when they could.

Now we suffer from abundance and think up ways not to eat. I ask myself, did we take a wrong turn somewhere between dying from starvation and dying from overeating? What would a thoughtful cave-dweller have to say to us? I think they would say that we should do what they did when they were not dying of starvation. And what would that be? We know that they painted masterpieces on the walls of their caves, produced artifacts for living with painstaking care, did many things to enrich their lives that did not involve eating simply because there was nothing to eat.

I know I am being perversely over simplistic, but there is something to it: we don't have to eat all the time just because there is food there to eat.

Just some thoughts. Marv

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Lynn,

That's very good info... thanks for posting it.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

I really see myself as a "Dr. Atkins vacations in South Beach" dieter!

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• LynnS
    replied

Hi there,

OK, I'm not promoting one way of nutrition eating/weight loss over another. Just kicking out another option. The South Beach Diet is another one I might suggest for consideration.

The diet is created by a cardiologist, Dr. Arthur Agatston (who also put forth the 'Agatston Score' which is used for measuring coronary calcium and the 'Agatston Method' for calcium screening in the cardiac world). It focuses on 'good carbs' and keeping your sugar and insulin levels even to promote weight loss and avoid 'ravenous' feelings of hunger. The premise is that 'whole' foods are best so carbs are included (though the first 2 weeks are without the pasta, breads, etc. you get carbs from other foods, after 2 weeks you reintroduce those foods in whole grain form ie. wheat based pasta, whole grain bread, sweet potatoes, etc - however, like Lisa has found, avoiding the 'enriched white flours' is the goal as they turn to sugar in your system so quickly!). Additionally, you don't 'count' carbs with this version of healthful eating; you eat until you are content of the foods that are good for you and balance your sugar levels.

Here are a couple of links about it:
    The philosphy:
    http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...1-5023,00.html

The links for the 'intro' and subsequent phases:
    http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...1-5345,00.html

The First 2 Weeks (scroll to the bottom of the page to see the foods to enjoy vs. avoid):
    http://www.prevention.com/cda/featur...1-5350,00.html

Hope this is a helpful consideration in this discussion. In the book "The South Beach Diet" you can read and learn the premise behind maintaining a good balance of sugar and insulin in your system to keep you feeling full.

Now - all this talk about food has reminded me it's time to eat!
    Lynn

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

Jim, I don't go for weigh-ins anymore, but for the first 6 months I found that to be a weekly challenge that helped keep me working on the plan. Now it's just second nature.
    I really believe you have to find a plan that suites the way you currently like to eat and stay away from the fad diets, no one eats that way so they are strickly short term and most of the time your weight comes back faster and more when you go back to the way you eat normally.
    Good luck Jim.

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Hey Glen,

My cousin did weight watchers and has lost a hundred pounds so far. She looks great, feels great, and also feels very confident that she'll be able to keep the pounds off for good. It was a slow process for her to shed all those pounds, but during the transition she's made long-term changes in her eating habits and food choices, and i think that makes all the difference. It's still all about calories, but she says with the point system, it's easier to keep track of them, and you're also pushed more toward foods higher in fiber, etc.

It sounds like something that might just work well for myself. I'm going to check it out

Jim

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

Lisa,

I enjoyed your post... you're on the 'anti-diet' diet.

I agree with you on the 'cheap carbs'... and that's one thing that both Atkins and Ornish seem to have in common. Simple carbs are the source of a whole lot of calories and not much else, and also contribute a lot to rapid rises and falls in blood sugar throughout the day. I'm trying to stay off the 'whites' myself.

Of course, the anthropologist in me always tends to compare what i eat to what our bodies were originally designed to eat, which is a variety of fruits, veggies, and animal proteins. Processed sugars are a fairly recent invention of man, and as such... they're just no darn good for our bodies. But boy, do they taste good!

I'm pretty sure if i can just get my big ol' butt up and moving more, and cut out all the refined sugars, i'll probably start taking off the pounds again. That's also why i want to get this silly gradient down, as i've been very symptomatic lately, and can't do a whole lot without getting winded.

Jim

Leave a comment:

• Lisa Salberg
    replied

I would suggest when attempting to pick the right diet plan for YOU that you try to think out of the box so to speak. I have NEVER in my life been able to stick to a diet for more than a week. I am 7 weeks into NOT a diet but a new attitude about what I eat. I have found that I feel better with out the 'whites' - basicly no bread, rice, pasta, potatoes. The first 2 weeks of Atkins are the hardest -as your body gets use to living with out the 'cheap carbs' as I think of them. After that - well I feel great and I really eat whatever I want. I have had a little bread and some rice in with my sushi - but thats it. I have choosen to take some vitamins and I think they are great!

The way I have choosen to change my diet is basicly under the low carb high protien thinking - but I have lots of veggies and a little fruit (its not in season now anyway... come summer it will become a larger part of my diet).

I have no idea how long I will feel this good - but heck I am enjoying it while it is here! I would suggest to anyone attempting to drop a few pounds - DO NOT TRY to follow a "diet" try to find what works for YOU and do not be afraid to try to adjust others ideas to what you think may be best for you.

Good luck to all.

Lisa

Leave a comment:

• mtlieb
    replied

God knows i could stand to take off some weight so i've been following this thread with some interest. When it comes down to the bottom line, i think we're all smart enough to agree that no matter which diet you choose, the only possible way to lose weight is by taking in less calories than you burn, right? It's not magic. And it doesn't matter if the calories come from fat or carbohydrates, if you eat more than you burn, you're going to gain weight. It's all about calories. Always has been, and always will be.

Some people lose weight on Atkins, from what i've read, because after a while you get so tired of eating nothing but fats and proteins that you start to lose your appetite, which lowers your caloric intake. Speaking only for myself, i can't see following any diet that asks you to restrict fruits and vegetables, and forces you to take vitamin supplements to offset what it strips from your body. It's also a tough diet on the kidneys. On the other hand, i don't particularly care for an all vegetarian diet like Ornish either, because it's so restrictive, and also because i have yet to meet a diehard vegetarian who actually looks healthy.

I guess we're all different...

Leave a comment:

• Glen Beamish
    replied

Hi Sue, 123 is Weight Watchers.
    I have tried many and found this one to be the closest to how I actually eat, so it was not a big step to use it, and I still do after a couple years.
    The idea is portioning, each food and it's portion is given a points value, hence 123.
    You are allowed a certain # of points each day depending on your current weight and can eat pretty well anything as long as you stay within the total points for the day.
    Naturally the bad foods have a very high point value and the foods like the ones Burton was describing have a very low point value, some you can eat unlimited.
    Dr Atkins diet has taken a bad rap for awhile, but now they are discovering he was actually correct in his methods and people I know who have tried it swear by it, I just could not see myself following it for the rest of my life.

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

PPS Thatís diabetic, not dietetic. Burt

Leave a comment:

• Burton Borrok
    replied

Hey Marv,
    They sound great. Iíll have to do some experimenting. You reminded me of one my Mom used to make Ė half club soda, half nonfat milk, with just a dash of chocolate syrup for the taste (kind of like a diet egg cream, for those who know what that is.)

Iím both dietetic and renal so I have to watch my protein and carbo intake, and Iím also hyperlipidemic so I have to watch my fats. With me, everything is a trade off as I still have to eat. Getting old stinks, - but itís a lot better then anything in second place.

Any more recipeís out there? Iíd sure like to hear some. Eat yourself thin Ė thatís my motto.
    Burt
    PS I can't stand diet soda's either. They leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Leave a comment:

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X