If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

losing weight/helping symptoms

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• losing weight/helping symptoms

Has anyone found that when they lost, say, 20+ lbs. that they have felt better? less or no SOB, other symptoms lessened or aleviated?
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: losing weight/helping symptoms

Hi,

Yes, I feel much better now that I have lost weight. Of course I had an ablation a year ago also, and I felt much better. But with the weight coming off Im feeling even better.

Connie
    The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

A major study was done a number of years ago which showed that something like 96 or 97 percent of people who go on a diet wind up a few tears later heavier then when they started.

I also had a doctor whom I respected tell me that the body tries to stay at the weight it feels is right for it. If you diet, you drop a few pounds then the body’s digestive process becomes more efficient and you hit a plateau. Fall off the diet for one meal and your right back where you started, - but your body is now digesting your food more efficiently. Dieting further becomes starving the body and can lead to serious complications.

On the other hand, we have become an overweight nation – primarily because we tend to eat what tastes good – even if it is bad for us. In other words we have become gluttons. Since I saw the dietitian and have made changes to my basic food intake, primarily because of my numerous maladies, I’ve noticed that some pounds have disappeared. It wasn’t planned, and I have not cut down on my eating, it’s just that I seem to be making better choices of what I put in my mouth. I think there’s a good chance that those pounds are really gone, and it was as simple as falling off a log. I’m now busy finding new food sensations that fall within the parameters of the dietitian’s recommendations. I had to change my diet for my health, and losing the weight was a very happy side benefit.
      Burt

Comment

Starting on 9-12-01, I lost 100 lbs. I did it by changing the way I live and think, not going on a diet. I worked to find new things to do to replace eating and made an effort to eat a third of my former intake. When I weighed 285, I was a wreck who could not make it around a block without chest pain, SOB, dizzyness, and palpitations. At 185, I feel great, I ride my bike, and walk all over. Losing that weight was the best thing I have ever done. The pounds just rolled off and I feel so much better now. Marv

Comment

Hi Marv....and GOOD for you!!! I agree with all you said. Im not on a "DIET", I changed the way I live my life, eat, think and so on. Many people have ask me now that I have lost 50.5 lbs, "HOW ARE YOU DOING IT< WHATS YOUR DIET??" And I have some that get agrivated with me when I say im not on a diet. I firmly believe you cant change your weight (and keep it off) until you change your mind.
          And I know that loosing weight will ot cure my HCM, but it sure makes my little sick heart feel lots better.

Congrats to you!!!

Connie

Comment

I will say once I cut out most of the carbs in my diet I feel great. I am NOT doing a full Atkins program - simply dropped the breads, rice, pasta and soda and added more protien.
            I do feel better.

Lisa
            Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
            YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
            lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
            Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
            Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
            Currently not obstructed
            Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

And it shows Lisa!!! You looked really good in the photos for the taping of the show. Any healthy lifestyle changes has to be good for the body!!

Connie

Comment

Thank you! You made my day!

Big hugs from NJ!

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Currently not obstructed

Comment

No doubt, diets work for the short term, including the Dr. Atkins diet.
                  But as Burton said, they generally do not work for the long term.
                  I chose not to use his because I could not see myself eating that way for the rest of my life, however it's not to say others will..
                  I found the 123 works best for me as I can stay with it because it's more like how I eat anyway.
                  I think that is the secret, finding a plan that best suites you life style.
                  Over the last two years I have lost 35 lbs feel great and have been able to keep it off.
                  By the way Dr. Atkins was 285 lbs when he died.
                  Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
                  So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
                  Good luck and stay well.
                  Glen

Comment

Okay, Glen, what's the 123? My curiosity is aroused. Sue

Comment

Re the Dr. Atkins data that is in the media this week - I think we should look at this situation with an eye to heart failure. Dr. Atkins had cardiomyopathy, likely dilated, he was in heart failure for 6 weeks prior to his death and was for the most part bed ridden as I understand it. He had suffered a fall on the ice while walking in NYC, hit his head and was in rather bad shape the last few weeks.

Therefore, it is highly likely that a great deal of this 'weight' was fluid, I have heard numbers as high as 50 pounds of fluid. I am very upset with the media for publishing the PRIVATE medical records of ANYONE, this is a direct violation of HIPAA.
                      Regardless of opinions on the the diet plan, I think PERSONAL medical information should stay as PERSONAL as the person wants, as Dr. Atkins is not here to approve of his records being shared with the media. Further the spin of his competitors on his death is really sad.

Thats my 2 cents.

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

Hi again,
                        Here are a few tips I got from my dietitian which may be a help to all who want to shed the pounds without going hungry. She said to go very big on vegetables and salads - but easy on the dressing. Some other things – for snacks, microwave popcorn (the kind you air pop in those plastic bowls – a second (easier) choice would be the Jolly Time Healthy Pop – Butter Flavor, but 94% fat free. Most raw vegetables also make great snacks – but forget the dips. Personally I don’t like plain water, but Club Soda is my treat. It’s great plain, but you can add some low calorie flavorings - to your own taste. Basically she said about half your plate should be vegetables, one quarter carbs, and one quarter proteins. Beans and Chickpeas also go very good in salads. Frequently spices can replace salt in pepping up a dish.

It’s important to eat breakfast, but keep away from the high sugar kinds, also ‘empty’ cereals like Rice Crispies, Puffed Rice, etc., won’t carry you over until lunch.

Hope this helps. Would also very much like to hear your favorite diet items. I’m still trying to expand my list of favorite, healthy dishes.
                        Thanks, Burt

Comment

One of the things I changed when I started to lose weight was my choice of beverages. I used to drink a lot of cola and other softdrinks. I don't care for diet soft drinks-- none of them taste right to me and I have loss my taste for heavy sweetening. Instead, I have discovered ways to use plain soda water to make interesting drinks that I like and still don't pack unwanted calories. Here are a few:
                          - With a dash of angostura bitters and a twist of lemon.
                          - Mixed with fruit juice. Depends on the juice, but about 1 part juice to 2 parts soda.
                          - This one may seem a bit strange, but it's a favorite. 1 part fat-free half&half, 5 parts soda and a healthy dash of almond extract.
                          - Not for the small of heart: 1/4 teaspoon Zatarains rootbeer extract in a tall glass of soda with a twist of lemon.
                          - In great moderation during the holidays: 1 part light eggnog, 5 parts soda.

Marv

Comment

Hey Marv,
                            They sound great. I’ll have to do some experimenting. You reminded me of one my Mom used to make – half club soda, half nonfat milk, with just a dash of chocolate syrup for the taste (kind of like a diet egg cream, for those who know what that is.)

I’m both dietetic and renal so I have to watch my protein and carbo intake, and I’m also hyperlipidemic so I have to watch my fats. With me, everything is a trade off as I still have to eat. Getting old stinks, - but it’s a lot better then anything in second place.

Any more recipe’s out there? I’d sure like to hear some. Eat yourself thin – that’s my motto.
                            Burt
                            PS I can't stand diet soda's either. They leave a bad taste in my mouth.

Comment

PPS That’s diabetic, not dietetic. Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X