If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

My Kid Brother

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My Kid Brother

Hi All,

Gosh i'm feeling chatty today...

My father died from HCM (lethal arrhythmia) when he was 56 years old, although at the time he had not been diagnosed with it. Since then, i have been diagnosed with HCM as well. Out of umpteen children and grandchildren (is umpteen even a word?), my little brother and i are the only members of my immediate family to be tested.

Last year, my brother had an echocardiogram done which did not show HCM definitively, but on the other hand it did not show that he didn't have it either. The echo was performed by a technician, and read by his PCP, who is a physician's assistant. Greg was told at the time that he had mitral valve prolapse with regurgitation, just like me, and he has also been experiencing a lot of symptoms... shortness of breath, chest pain, arrhythmias, tachycardia, etc. He is now going for a follow-up echocardiogram, and i want to provide him with some information going into the procedure, so at least he can inform them as to what they are looking for specifically. Let me know if you think i should add anything to the list...

Inform the technician BEFORE your echocardiogram is started, that you have a family history of Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy (HCM) and that they should specifically be looking for evidence of this.

What are my septal measurements?

Do i have any obstruction through the mitral valve?

If there is obstruction, what is my gradient (in mmHg)?

What is my LVOT velocity (in meters/sec)?

May i have the results of my echocardiogram discussed with a cardiologist who is familiar with HCM, and if so, may i arrange a meeting with him or her?

I also mentioned that he should inform the person performing the test, that he has been experiencing the symptoms he mentioned, and that they are of concern to him.

Thanks so much for your input.

Thanks,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: My Kid Brother

Makes lots of sense. I hope he is able to take it as that. Sue

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

There are no members with birthdays today.

Working...
    X