If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Howdy!

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Howdy!

Hi Everyone,

I'm back in the land of the living again... somewhat.

I fired my ENT last week. That alone made me feel much better. I actually said the words too if you can believe it... you're fired. Woo hoo! I know it was probably rude of me to say it, but as i was sitting there in his office, still feeling like crap after all this time, blurry vision and all, and listening to him babble on and on about absolutely nothing, i just kind of lost my mind. I was at the very end of my rope at this point, dangling from the very tiniest of threads. Temporary insanity is my plea. LOL. But when you think about it, i was paying the man to do a job... and he just wasn't doing it.

This kid has bothered me from the first day i stepped foot into his office. Everything he's told me to do (or not to do) seems to contradict common sense. He's very young, has a relatively new practice, and oh, how he loves to spend my insurance company's money. With a half dozen x-rays and CT scans, no wonder i'm having vision problems... my eyes have been nuked so much they're probably about hard-boiled by now

Anyway... after five months of tests, a thousand bucks out of my pocket, and a surgery no less... he told me we had to start all over again from scratch, have more CT scans done, and that i should be prepared to accept the fact that i may never actually be rid of this infection. Bull Puckey! (Did i spell that right?) If i'm going to start all over again from scratch, it's going to be with a different doctor.

I went to see my new PCP (yes i fired my former one of those as well) and he said that my sinuses are so packed full of crap again, he would be surprised if i wasn't having problems with my eyes. It doesn't look like i've had surgery up there at all. He gave me a bunch of free samples of Tequin, which has turned out to be a pretty nasty, but seemingly powerful antibiotic, and i started feeling some drainage almost immediately. And what do you know? A lot of my vision problems are beginning to subside

Oh, and i fired my eye doctor as well... the one that gave me the staph infection. I've already seen a new one and got an intensive exam. I was relieved to find that there is nothing physically wrong with my eyes, and he also specifically checked to see if anything may have been damaged during the surgery. I also provided him with a copy of my MRI. His final diagnosis was that my vision problems are most probably related to a severe infection and inflamation of my sinuses. Hmmmm. You don't say?

It's been a pretty good week, all in all. I feel like Donald Trump on that new show of his... the one where he gets to say 'you're fired'? It feels pretty good

Ya know, one of my favorite lines from a movie ever, is the one that Morgan Freeman says in the Shawshank Redemption... "Get busy living, or get busy dying". I just love that! I only wish there were more instructions as to how to go about that.

Thanks for all your help and support,

Jim
    "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Re: Howdy!

Jim

Great News!!!!!!!!

Hope things do start looking up for you you deserve it

Take Care
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Jim,

You are absolutly right about telling the Dr. he is fired. I believe when they screw up they have every right to hear it just as we do if we mess up in our jobs. I told a cardiologist that last year and he said you can't fire me! I said " I pay you my insurance pays you. The patient is how you make your living so in essence we are your boss and I just fired you!" But don't worry I have four more waiting to take your place.

There are only two things in this world that will really make me mad ! One is when someone is late. I get irked if it is an accident but if someone is constantly late they will definatly hear from me. MY other and most important irk is if someone is incompetent. My philosophy is if you get paid to do a job that is what you are there for and that is what you are supposed to do. I don't care how sick I am or what kind of day I'm having I get up there and do the job to the best of my ability. I do understand mistakes happen no one is perfect . Just don't mess up because you have a chip on your shoulder or because you think your better than someone else (prior cardiologist).

Oh well, let me get off my soapbox.

By the way Jim, were going pretty parallel again. Dr. Maron and my new cardiologist have got things rolling again and this new medicine seems to be working wonders! I feel awesome! I am just glad you are getting on the right toad!

Mary S.

Comment

Jim--Glad to hear from you and glad you fired those docs! Hope your new ones can fix you up. I've recently told doctors that I far prefer to have a heart condition than a sinus infection. I can feel relatively well, if a little tired, with my heart condition but messed up sinuses make me miserable. Luckily, I've avoided sinus problems so far this winter.

Hope the relief this medication is giving you continues.

Sue

Comment

Hey Jim,

I'm really glad you're getting things straightened out! Take care.

Reenie
          Reenie

Husband has HCM.
          3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Jim, Way to go !!!! Sometimes you reach the end of your rope and you do what you gotta do. Afterward you look back and ask yourself why did it take me so long, I should have done this much sooner. I really hope these Dr.s are on the ball and you will be feeling much better soon. From what you have said it sounds like you are hearing the right things so far. Take care of yourself, sounds like things are getting better already. Steve.

Comment

you go, boy!!! Good for you! I would have fired all of them too. Isn't it a relief to see a doctor who finally has the answers? I'm so happy for you and glad that you are feeling better!!

P.S. I have "let go" a few in my lifetime myself. The best decisions I had made
              \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
              X