If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

How many HCM'ers are also hypothyroid???

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Cynaburst Find out more about Cynaburst
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many HCM'ers are also hypothyroid???

I was wondering if we could take a poll here...how many of us have both conditions? If you do, what do you take for your thyroid and how do you control your condition?
    Daughter of Father with HCM
    Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
    Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
    ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
    Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Re: How many HCM'ers are also hypothyroid???

I take synthroid but have taken armour, too. i was diagnosed at 22. I'm 35 now.

Comment

I have had a hypoactive thyroid for 10 years. Currently, I'm taking levothyroxine. I was diagnosed with HCm 4 years ago..consequently I have been implanted with both a dual chamber pacemaker and a defibrillator.

tricia

Comment

Do you all know what your TSH is and at what TSH you feel best? Mine is right now around 4.7 which is too high, so I just increased my Synthroid and hope to get my TSH into the high 2 low 3 range.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Hi All.....
          I too take Synthroid for Hypothyroidism and was diognosed about 6 months ago. I have also wondered if there is a conection with this and HOCM.

Connie
          The BEST is yet to come !!

Comment

I was diagnosed around 28 yrs. ago --- had hyperthyroid. Had 3/4 of the gland removed 26 yrs. ago. Have been taking Levothroid every day since then

P.S. My father had hyperthyroid and he had HCM
            \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Is hypothyroid part of the general profile of HCM? I have never been treated for hypothyroid, but every few years I show up hypo on a thyroid level screen, but whenever we have followed it up, it has not warranted treatment. This suggests to me that my thyroid functions at the low end of the normal range. I wonder if this common with HCM?
              Marv

Comment

Hi Marv. Noone knows if hypothyroid is part of HCM. This thread was started to see if any patients have both. They're just wondering if there is a connection or not. Sometimes the slightest seemingly unrelated things are actually closely related when you start looking. At this point, though, there is no documented correlation between HCM and hypothyroidism.

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie is correct... by the way, hi Reenie!

But there sure does seem to be a lot of HCM'ers out there who also suffer from hypothyroidism. Just about everyone in my immediate family has been diagnosed with hypothyroidism and are taking medication for it. My doctor was actually a bit surprised when he tested me for hypothyroidism and i didn't have it, given my family history. But it is something i will keep an eye on

Take care all,

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

I have enough diagnoses myself so I leave the Hypothyroidism to my wife. She contracted it as a result of long term use of Tegritol which is one of the drugs she takes for her epilepsy. She takes 0.1 mg / day of Levoxyl, or Levothroid, or Synthroid (all the same stuff, just different brand names.)
                    I guess we are what we eat.

Burt
                    PS All boys have toys. It’s just that the older you get, the more expensive the toys.

Comment

Originally posted by mtlieb
                      ... by the way, hi Reenie!

Jim

Reenie
                      Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                      3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I was diagnosed four years ago with both HCM and Hypothyroid.

Comment

I was diagnosed four years ago with both HCM and Hypothyroid.

Comment

Hi all,
                            There seems to be some postings for both hyper- and hypo-thyroidism. There’s plenty of information on both at the following site. (Last two entries in the ‘H’ category.)

http://www.rxmed.com/b.main/b1.illness/b1.illness.html

Burt

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                            X