If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

blood pressure

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE Find out more about HCMA FORUM ARCHIVE
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• blood pressure

[blood pressure]

Author: Dearinger (---.cox-internet.com)

Date: 05-05-02 22:45

If you have low blood pressure with HCM or LVH, what are your medication options. I read that most meds lower blood pressure. My husband's runs very low already. The doctor has mentioned one called Coreg.

Thanks,

Susan Dearinger

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

[Re: blood pressure]

Author: s. beckley -moderator (---.dsl.mindspring.com)

Date: 05-05-02 22:54

Dear Susan,

Well, Coreg is carvedilol, a beta-blocker, which does lower blood pressure, too. Is this doctor suggesting that Coreg won't lower his blood pressure? If so, I would be concerned.

You may want to start on a very low dose of a beta-blocker and have a home blood pressure monitor. There are two potassium channel blockers, Norpace and Cordarone, but these both have major side effects and should be used only if beta-blockers alone don't work or can't be used at all. Calcium channel blockers can also lower blood pressure, as do ace-inhibitors.

The key thing to remember, however, is that everyone is very different. For me, for example, a calcium channel blocker will put me on the floor with dizziness, but beta-bokcers don't bother me a bit, but I do need to drink a lot of water.

It really is a matter of trying, testing, and watching and then choosing what works best.

Keep us posted,

Sarah

[blood pressure]

Author: Susan Dearinger (---.cox-internet.com)

Date: 05-06-02 13:20

Dear Sarah,

Thank you so much for your reply.

All of this has just happened within the last three weeks and we are "wigged out" over all of it. I have soooooo many questions....

I will be calling the office soon to get a referral to an HCM doc in Dallas as soon as we get through with the battery of tests.

We are trying to keep a sense of humor and hoping for improvement soon. I appreciate this website and all the information too.

Thanks,

Susan Dearinger

[Re: blood pressure]

Author: Amy (---.bna.bellsouth.net)

Date: 05-07-02 01:13

Hi Susan,

I have always had very low blood pressure, but I take medication that is for high blood pressure, it seems to help the workload of my heart a great deal and it has helped my blood pressure raise to a healthly level. The medications can help the heart work better and raise the blood pressure. The idea with HCM or LVH is to lower the workload on the heart, just like the muscles in the rest of the body the more you work them the larger they get, so we want the least amount of work for our hearts as possible. Beta-blockers and calcuim channel blockers are normal treatment for people with HCM, but with most people one of them will make you feel awful while the other makes you feel better, so it may take trying different types at different dosages, before the right one is found, this will take some time and communication with the doctor is very important.

Amy
    NOTE: This is a post from the previous forum message board.

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
X