If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Desperate Down Under

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

progers Find out more about progers
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Desperate Down Under

Paul

Do you take a diuretic, if so my doctor told me that a low diastolic was a good sign you are becoming dehydrated, well i was nervous about taking my diuretic and didn't want to increase it without my doctor seeing me, well he increased me to 60mg a day or 80 mg as needed, lets just say i've lost 7 lbs in 36 hours, and he just said watch your diastolic pressure if it drops start drinking water until the diastolic comes back up and if it doesn't call me, hope this might help, i know my husband doesn't like to drink water are you a water drinker, i don't know your situation but i thought i would just throw that in. hope you are feeling better take care

Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Hi Shirley,

That's interesing about diastolic BPs and dehydration. I hadn't heard that before but it makes sense. I am a big water drinker: I never drink sprite, cokes or other sweet soft drinks because they make me SO sick. In fact, I can feel fine, go surfing for 3 hours, but if I have a coke, I get serious chest pain and/or an increased pressure gradient. Weird huh? I wonder if anyone else has this problem?

I've also been feeling a little better over the last few days. The dizziness and confusion are not as bad and I'm at least thinking more clearly. Got to ge ready to teach next semester at University!

Best,

Paul
      Age 38, dad of two young children, dx 1996, myectomy March 2005, a-fib issues, due for ICD soon.

Comment

Hi,
        I’m on a diuretic and my doctor is also concerned about my keeping hydrated. If I drink plain water however, for some reason I feel uncomfortably bloated. I’m also a diabetic so sweet sodas aren’t the answer either.

When I’m out at a restaurant I order unsweetened Iced Tea which I can tolerate well, and at home I drink club soda, which I have grown to love. It’s just water and carbon dioxide, plus a little salt to give it a bite. The salt is not the greatest thing, but making your own club soda with a siphon and CO2 cartridges is such a pain. If you want to try some club soda yourself, please let me know how you make out.
        Burt

Comment

Dear Paul,

Hi from over the ditch.

I had my first attack of light headiness after my 4th cup of coffee for the day. Caffiene is not a good thing in any form as it seems to kick off arythmias for me, which can cause neck discomfort and light headiness.

I share your problems with finding cardiologists with experience in HCM, but have just returned from a follow up consultation this morning and very fortunately struck a cardiologists who worked with a researcher on the topic in UK it was great to discuss at length the situation with her.

I am just beginng on this path and have been quite confused getting my head around the condition and the many aspects of it. My complication was a neck injury that damaged some cervical disks and this all started after some irritation to this injury causing neck pain, an MRI and discussions later showed that this is likely to be just coincidence. The neck discomfort is more likely due to my HCM.

Hang in there.

This is a great site (well done Lisa and others) and certainly helps shed some knowledge on an as yet little known about condition.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
          X