If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Very tired

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

bryan Find out more about bryan
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Very tired

The past couple days Ive been having chest pains, my arm has been numb and its been hard to breath. And in the morning when I wake up its a struggle and I feel very drained all day. Should I call the Dr.? Wait to see if it gets better? Any advice?

Re: Very tired

Bryan,
    Give Dr. M or Dr.U a call...I'm sure they'll take good care of you!
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Yes your doctor needs to know of any changes in your physical health

Keep in touch
      Shirley
      Diagnosed 2003
      Myectomy 2-23-2004
      Husband: Ken
      Son: John diagnosed 2004
      Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

what are you waiting for??? get to your doctor's office asap!

Comment

My Drs office is closed do you think I should go to the ER to get blood drawn?

Comment

yes go!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
            Diagnosed 2003
            Myectomy 2-23-2004
            Husband: Ken
            Son: John diagnosed 2004
            Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Will do, my only hesitation is they will probably keep me over night.

Comment

they will only keep you if you blood work comes back with abnormal results --i went in with what you describe and they sent me home b/c it was anxiety --but the week before, they kept me b/c my cardiac enzymes were elevated.

take a good book and a snack and go --better safe than sorry!

s

Comment

Bryan,

Go go go buddy. Get thee to a doctor and find out what's going on. I hope it's nothing, but you don't want to take any chances either. HCM seems to manifest itself differently in every individual, so when you're just starting out after an HCM diagnosis, you don't really know yet what is 'normal' for you.

I've been tired and fatigued since the day i started on these blasted beta blockers, but it is managable, and over time i have learned what is 'normal' for me. In other folk though, what is normal for me might be something that needs to be checked out immediately. (Did that make any sense?)

One of the things that irritates the heck out of me about HCM, is that it's not always so cut and dry as it is with other diseases. You don't always get the 'clear signal' that something is wrong. Over time you will learn to decide when it is appropriate to seek immediate medical attention, and when you are simply experiencing yet another pain in the butt symptom of your HCM. Until then however, get yourself to a doctor when you don't feel well, and don't take anything out of the ordinary for granted.

I myself did (somewhat pervertedly) enjoy my last stay in the hospital, if for no other reason than i had no diet restrictions compared to the other heart patients. I was low on cash anyway, i'd been eating ramen noodles and macaroni and cheese for several weeks (store brand... not even Kraft), i got to order anything off the menu i wanted and my insurance paid for it, and i had free cable TV, which i cannot afford right now at home

Please let us know what happens.

Jim
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

well I just got home this morning after spending two nights in the hospital. My troponin levels where slightly elevated, but arent they always in people with HCM? My postaisum levels where low, and my CK, MB and index where all "slightly" elevated. So they decided to keep me. During the time I was there they never contacted Dr Maron once and they where trying to give me medicines they wanted. They wanted to give me Nitro I said no, and the nurse got VERY ANGRY and started yelling at me asking why. I said I dont know I read it somewhere and he told me thats not a good enough answer. He wanted to know WHY. So finally I said "I dont know why, your the nurse you find out why, and if you want to know I told you guys to call my cardiologists, other than that write down I refused" well needless to say I ddint get the nitro AND they didnt call NEMC. I refused meds they wanted to give me SEVERAL times due to them not calling NEMC or DR Maron. Through the day my levels where dropping except for my MB which kept spiking. What is the MB level anyways? This is all frustrating to me as I am still sitting here with chest pains, I lied to them and told them they were all gone, so I could come home. Im at my witts end with HCM. You get chest pains and you worry about it, when "its nothing to worry about". So next time when I get chest pains and I dont worry about it and it could potentially get worse then what? Sorry for sounding like a baby but I am extremly MAD (to us nice words) and about to throw the towel in....not on my life but on HCM in general!!!!

Bryan

Comment

Way to go Bryan!!!
                      We have to be our own advocates and you have given many a good example. Sometimes it's best to stand up for your own well being. This is a good place to vent and be supported.

It's too bad you had to experience the struggle with the medical personnel. Maybe next time they will listen to you!

I hope you are feeling better!
                      Best Regards,
                      Sharon

Comment

Bryan, I'm glad you told them no nitro. I'm mad for you how they treated you. The reason no nitro is it's a vasodilator and that's a nono with HCM. Call Dr Maron yourself and ask what to do. They can call your cardio or the hospital for you. Don't give up. And don't keep hurting.

Reenie
                        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Oooh how did you know about no nitro? I never heard that before.

My cardiologist said EVERY time I get an ECG I have to make SURE I get nitro also in the test.

Is that bad then?

Bryan, I just wanted to say I understand your feelings. I get so angry too and I hate fighting for myself. If I am fighting for someone else, it's so much easier, but for myself it is really hard because if nobody listens, I just feel like throwing in the towel too. How we all keep going is a mystery to me most of the time.

*hugs*
                          Deedee
                          »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
                          Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
                          Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
                          Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
                          Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
                          Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
                          Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
                          ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Ditto to all of the above... i understand that we're all ultimately responsible for our own health and all that, but come on... i'm getting real tired of always having to police my doctors just to make sure they don't make me worse, rather than better. Talk about tiring.
                            "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

nitro is a vasodialator --it opens up the blood vessels. HCMers don't usually need anything that could lower their blood pressure.

i've never heard of giving nitro to someone for an ecg--what is that all about? is this something like a stress echo?

s

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                              X