If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Vision Problem

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

mtlieb Find out more about mtlieb
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Vision Problem

Jim, I don't remember my son having to disrobe, but I might be wrong. As far as what the metal in your body might do, other than fillings of course, is that the MRI will attempt to rip it right out of your body. An ICD will attempt to be drawn to the magnet, right through your skin!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

I am sorry...I didn't mean to alarm you about the clothing issue....a hospital gown is provided. They just don't want you in jeans with a metal zipper, or a bra with a metal hook (not to imply that you wear a bra!)
      Daughter of Father with HCM
      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
      Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
      ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
      Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

...mental health professional...
        You're amazing to just keep going after this kind of comment after every you've gone through. I am not sure I could just keep going after something like that, my [fill in the blank] threshold is at an all-time low lately or something.

Good luck on the MRI - hope it's informative. WOW, the new Doc sounds FAB! Does he do house calls to Vancouver Island? hehe

I want to know what you ordered on the hospital menu that was tasty... for future reference. LOL

Hugs,
        Deedee
        »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
        Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
        Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
        Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
        Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
        Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
        Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
        ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Cynaburst,

Now how do you know i don't wear a bra? LOL. You never know

Thanks for the info...

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Dee Dee,

The hospital i was admitted to for my sinus surgery had buffalo wings, pizza, hamburgers, and coleslaw (which i just love) on the menu. If you weren't restricted in diet at all, which i wasn't, you could order anything you wanted off the menu. And believe me i did, since lately i'm just a big fat pig! LOL.

I hate to admit it, but i knew that when i got home i wouldn't be eating so good, so i took advantage of it and ate well while my insurance was paying for it

I shouldn't joke about that actually, since i've gained 26 pounds in just a little over a month... but since my idiot doctors don't seem to care, then why should i right? Besides, i did get the free cable, and got to watch my favorite new show... Queer Eye For The Straight Guy. Those folks need to come to my house and make me over

I'll let ya all know how the MRI comes out... and thanks again for your concern. You are all very sweet.

Love ya,

Jim

Comment

For Jim:

Reenie
              Reenie

Husband has HCM.
              3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Smoooooooch, Reenie

Comment

Jim

Good luck with that MRI, i had one years ago and i forgot to take my barrets out of my hair well needless to say they came out and stuck to the wall of the MRI it scared me too death, you take it easy and get better and i'll keep my finger crossed that everything is ok or they find what is causing your vision problems

Take Care
                  Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Jim,
                    First of all, I'm so happy you have found a reliable doctor! I like doctors that don't pussy foot around (had one of those in my life). An added bonus is that he is knowledgable about HCM. I had an MRI of my heart at Tufts New England Med. Center last May....It's kind of big and clangy, but there was music playing inside so it wasnt that bad...had to hold my breath many times which towards the end, was getting to me. I have a feeling God will be on your side, buddy.....good luck and let us know
                    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Well, my shoulders were too big to fit into the darn machine. LOL. They scrunched my arms together tight and moved my shoulders to where they were able to (literally) force them back into the tube, but the technician said that there was just no way i could stay like that for the whole two hours. My arms started to tingle and fall asleep just being in there for a minute. They found an open MRI right here in town that can get me in friday morning, so i'll let ya know what happens then

Comment

Hey all,

I got a call this morning that there was an 'open' MRI about an hour from my house that had a cancellation today and i jumped on it. I was told by the ER doctors the other night that i shouldn't be driving right now, since i lost my eyesight while driving the other day, but at this point i'll do whatever it takes to find out what's going on ASAP.

The open MRI was a dream compared to that tube they were trying to stuff me back into the other day, and i actually fell asleep during parts of it. Something about loud noises just makes my body want to shut down and take a nap! LOL. So much the better.

This place was fantastic. It was a big spacious room, with subdued lighting and wall-to-wall carpeting, music to listen to, and even several couches and recliners so that your family and friends could come sit with you during the procedure. Of course i have no friends, but the room was nice and comfy nonetheless.

I should have the results tomorrow morning, and will let you all know as soon as i get them.

Thanks again,

Jim

Comment

Jim--Hope the results point to something simple and transient ---perhaps a good migraine. :P Glad you were able to get the test over with. We'll be waiting to hear.

Sue

Comment

"Of course, I have no friends...."

Now Jim, I am sure that's not true. I am sure you have lots of friends, (esp. all of your cross-dressing friends!) who would have been happy to come and hold your hand. I would have flown across the country to be there except for the fact that my ICD would have ripped out of my chest!

I hope your results are negative!

Best,

Cynthia
                            Daughter of Father with HCM
                            Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
                            Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
                            ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
                            Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

LOL... Cynaburst! Now that would have been a hoot, having an MRI room full of cross-dressers. They wouldn't have know what hit them. You are too much! Now, don't go getting the impression that i'm a cross-dresser everybody. LOL. I just have acquaintances who are. I myself never wear women's lingerie... except on friday's

Comment

Jim you are one crazy man, that was cute, i have some nice lingerie that i could send you to wear, oh and you have plenty of friends what are we chopped liver

Take Care

Shirley
                                Diagnosed 2003
                                Myectomy 2-23-2004
                                Husband: Ken
                                Son: John diagnosed 2004
                                Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                                X