If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

K-State in the Fiesta Bowl in Phx and ABF on Columbus, OH TV

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

SharonBates Find out more about SharonBates
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• K-State in the Fiesta Bowl in Phx and ABF on Columbus, OH TV

Just in case you didn't hear the lastest on college football, Kansas State Univeristy football team will be playing Ohio State University in the Tostido Fiesta Bowl on Friday, January 2nd at 8:00 p.m. est. The Fiesta Bowl takes place in sunny Tempe, AZ only a hop, skip and jump from Phoenix where I live.

Over the last few weeks I am vying for some national coverage of the Anthony Bates Foundation with ABC Sports and ESPN radio and some of the local radio stations, too. Coach Bill Snyder of the K-State team still dons a # 91 on his head set (so do the other K-State coaches) in honor of my son, Anthony Bates. I sent my video, "What is HCM?" to ABC Sports-casters, ESPN, the radio stations and the head people at the Fiesta Bowl. My hope is that during a lull period in the game, the announcers will point out the # 91 and talk about Coach Snyder's support of the Anthony Bates Foundation! It can't hurt to ask...so I have been stalking the media this week. I hope I don't get in trouble for that!

Earlier today a Columbus, OH news reporter, Kevin Landers, was at my house for an interview about Anthony, my connection to K-State football, and the heart screening effort that I have been involved in since Anthony's sudden cardiac death, July 2000. We have done 6 heart screening events in Kansas and Arizona and have offered over 1,200 FREE Echocardiograms to young people. Now with the video and future events we hope to reach more in 2004. That's the good news, the not so good news is that that interview will air on Friday on WBNS-10TV out of Columbus. So, the HCMA people in that area might be able to see my interview. Let me know what you think. Kevin Landers promised to send me a copy of the interview, so I hope to have one for myself next week.

Of course, on Friday, I will be at the Fiesta Bowl all dressed up in purple. If you get a chance to watch the game, look for me! I'll be at the North end of the stadium, jumping up and down!

Happy New Year everyone!
    Thanks again goes out to Lisa and all the board monitors for your hard work and kind words!
    I love you guys!
    Sharon

Re: K-State in the Fiesta Bowl in Phx and ABF on Columbus, O

Sharon, I'm really proud of you!

Reenie
    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Excellent work as always! Have fun at the game. I will be watching and cheering for KS from here in chilly DE.

Comment

Sharon,
        Not only will I be watching the game, cause it will be a good game (10vs6) but I hopefully your hard work will payoff and we will see them hopefully talk about the 91 worn by the coaches. What a way that would be to start off a New Year for you and maybe the word about HCM getting out. Good Luck and have a good New Year

Bryan

Comment

Sharon, There's no question what will be on the TVs in our house. The OSU Alumni here won't be cheering for KS, but we're all cheering for you. I'll pass the word around to the rest of the family, many should be able to catch your interview. You've accomplished a fantastic amount and you just keep going! I'll watch for you and at least wear something purple, even if I'm thinking "go red". Linda

Comment

Sharon

You are Awesome.
            Everyone in Sports needs to know of this disease.
            My Husband and I will be watching for U. I hope u
            make a sign to really put u out there.
            I am going to the ESPN site and write to them. You never
            know!

Happy New Year
            Go K-State
            Laura
            Laura Johnson

Comment

Well, K-State didn't win the game...so sad...there will be another chance at the trophy next year! I'm not sure, but I don't think that ABC Sports mentioned the Anthony Bates Foundation. I haven't watched the whole game over again, but my phone has been ringing for other reasons. We did get an article written in the local Phoenix paper.

http://www.azcentral.com/arizonarepu...page20103.html

Did anyone see the story in OH? I hope to have a copy of that piece in the next few days.

For those of you interested in our video, we will have a link on my web site later today. I'll be updating the site after I post this message. If you have high speed internet, the video is easier to view, otherwise you may have to wait for buffering. Check it out!

Have a Happy New Year! My motto this year is to "Keep Talking!" There are a lot of people that haven't heard our message and a lot more willing to listen.

Blessings to everyone!
              Sharon Bates

www.AnthonyBates.org

Comment

Sharon, I didn't hear the Foundation mentioned during the game, but these guys kept flipping with that remote. I really don't think they said anything about it tho. I haven't talked to the Ohio family viewers yet. I'll let you know. You've done a great job and accomplished a lot, regardless. Linda

Comment

We did get the story aired in Columbus, OH. I had a couple private messages from families in OH that saw the piece!

Cool Beans!

I have updated my web-site with the video links but I had some technical trouble with the naming but you should be able to see that real soon! Try again and it should be available in the next few hours.

Thanks again for all your support!
                  Sharon

Comment

My web-site now has the links up and running for the HCM video. Have a peak and tell your friends!

Happy New Year,
                    Sharon

www.AnthonyBates.org

Comment

I really thought that video was very well done and people can get a lot out of watching and sharing it with as many people as possible.

I wanted to make a link to it, so I looked around for a link graphic but I couldn't find one. I design those in all the standard sizes, but being a girlie-girl, I like 150x20 blinkies the best, so I made one of those first, although it's too girlie-girl to use very much, it's just an example really.

Feel free to use it and I'll make more in all the standard sizes and banners if you need such a thing or your site graphics guru can maybe make those available on your site so everyone can make nice pretty link buttons to your great site.

This offer for link graphics is extended to ANY site concerning HCM, so just PM me if you need anything like that.

Deedee
                      »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
                      Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
                      Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
                      Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
                      Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
                      Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
                      Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
                      ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X