If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

New Year

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• New Year

Just wanted to wish everyone a happy and healthynew year. Thank you for all your support you've given me this past year.
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: New Year

Happy New Years Back at Ya!!!

May we all have a healthy New Year!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Be well,
    Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Happy New Year

Hi All,

Hope everyone has had a great Christmas and New Years holiday!

The one thing my family likes to do more than anything over the holidays is to get together and play cards... and play cards we did! Cinch is our game, and although we have been known to stray to other games from time to time, Cinch is still considered the family tradition... passed down from generation to generation. Of course the rules themselves have evolved somewhat from generation to generation as well... to the point where we must certainly now be playing a different Cinch game than anywhere else on the planet! But that's okay too

I come from a big farming family. My aunts and uncles (all 13 of them) were born into a time when no matter what was going on in the world, you still took time out of your day to sit and play a game of cards or scrabble with the family at night. Thankfully, that sort of thinking has been bred into the younger generations as well.

I think more than anything, we all just relish sitting around the table together, enjoying each other's company, and chatting about this and that. Even the young folks... the playstation and computer game wizards... will all drop their joysticks to come sit at the table and play Cinch with the grownups. The ages range anywhere from 12 to 89, and what a hoot to see the uncles in their overalls and suspenders... teamed up with the kids with their pierced tongues and funky jeans and their boxer shorts hanging out. And it sure is nice to see the young folks respecting and enjoying the company of their elders.

Everyone has a great time... but you do NOT want to be in the same room if anyone steals Uncle Joe's bid away from him! LOL.

I myself tried to get away from these card-playing fanatics when i was growing up. After all, there was this really cool new computer game called Pong, where you could move these two paddles up and down and bounce a little ball back and forth across the screen! My God, what an innovation. It was cutting-edge technology! LOL. But the card-playing genes of my forebearers quickly took over, and i soon found myself at the 'big' table with the rest, teaming up with people three times my age, and loving every minute of it.

This is what a holiday means to my family, and i'm sure it is the same with yours, in one form or another. No matter what the current health or financial crisis, there is always time for a good card game... and i wouldn't trade it for anything in the world

Happy New Year everybody!

Jimmy

(As i am known to my family)
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Oh, Jim, I felt like I was there with you!

Happy New Year to all, and stay healthy and happy.

Reenie
        Reenie

Husband has HCM.
        3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Good lord, was i ever in a chatty mood last night!

Sorry about the long post.
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Wow! Did this ever make me miss our family. I come from a small family but my sister and I and my Mom, when she was alive, all played cards or board games on holiday afternoons. Christmas in Beijing this year was 80 students over for either breakfast or dinner and no time without students over from 8 am unto 10:30 pm. For New Years Day it was karaoke at a karaoke parlor with several other profs - only one of whom we knew. But, we will be home for a month in a couple of weeks, so we'll do the holidays with family then. I feel sure my sister and I will get a good game of Hand and Foot going. (BTW - anyone heard of this card game? We think it was invented in a central Ohio trailer park because everyone we know either learned it in that area or, like us, learned it from someone who did.)

A bright note! My dad had his 101st birthday yesterday. I called him this morning (yesterday evening there) and he was fully prepared to give a lecture comparing the Great Wall's inablilty to keep the Mongols out with the inability of ancient Rome to keep out the Germanic tribes.

An important lesson here: We all have two sets of parents! So, if I can keep the HCM under control, my life expectancy should be great.

Rhoda

Comment

How about Euchre? This is the card game that helped delay bedtime many times over the years at our house. The only problem was that nobody ever really wanted to be my partner. If I ever got a good hand, someone else would call trump first and ruin it. I'm a much better sport at this than at board games tho. Linda

Comment

Linda, we play Euchre too. In fact, that's what I played on New Year's Eve. We also play Spades, Hearts, and Pitch. Anyone else play Pitch?

Reenie
                Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Rhonda

Congrats on your dad and his 101st birthday that is so cool, I have played hand and foot, a friend of ours that live in Ohio taught us that game this last summer it is a great game, i think i will call her and get the rules from and play it this week, Hope you have a great holiday with your family

Take Care
                  Shirley
                  Diagnosed 2003
                  Myectomy 2-23-2004
                  Husband: Ken
                  Son: John diagnosed 2004
                  Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...