If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Event Monitor

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

swinand Find out more about swinand
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Event Monitor

Hello everyone, it's been a little while since I last posted, but have been getting quite a laugh from the little diddies Glen and DeeDee have been posting. Ya gotta love it!
    Anyway, I went to my GP last week and talked to him frankly about a few things that have been occurring the last couple of months. The most disconcerting was when I was docking my boat alone, and was about to climb out to tie up the stern. The next thing I remember was being under water. Yes, I fell out of the boat!! I have NO recollection of slipping, falling, tripping or any other "ing". For a while I kept pooh poohing the notion of passing out. But, it is what it is. I can't not recognize it for what it is any longer. Also there have been palpitions, light headedness etc. In any event my GP recommended an event monitor for the next 30 days. I see my cardiologist Jan 5th.
    My question is what qualifies as an event? Palpitations, hard beating, light headedness all of the above, others?? Sometimes things happen and then disappear before I can hit the button. What would they like to capture on this, everything I can push the button for?
    Anyway, stay warm, don't overdo in the snow, and keep the levity coming. Have a great day, Steve.

Re: Event Monitor

Steve,
    This may or may not have been anything- BUT with HCM you really need to let someone look at the situation and evaluate it.

Talk to the doctor - get this checked out and PLEASE do not work near the water alone until it is clear what has happened. I hate to tell you how many families with HCM have past family members who have drown.

Be careful and be well,

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Hi Steve,

I'm curious about this as well, so hopefully someone will come along who will answer your questions regarding the Holter Monitor.

When I wore my monitor, they told me to record ALL events, and i found that I was pushing the button a LOT, then getting out the little notebook to record what it was. If I didn't get the button pushed before the event was over, I still pushed it, then noted that it had just ended. If it was a long event, such as an extended period of tachycardia, i tried to mark both the beginning and end. All of the events that i marked were noted in my report, so apparently they found them all.

But what bothered me, was that ONLY the events I marked were discussed in my report, even though i knew there were many more than that. For instance... when i was driving in traffic and couldn't get an event recorded, or sleeping, etc. Don't they have a program that searches the entire time period looking for irregularities, or do they really only look at the events we mark?

Thanks,

Jim
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

In most instances they do catch the irregularities that have also occured. Actually, that's how they caught my v-tach. I didn't even record it because I didn't feel it. The ones that I did record turned out to be nothing! Guess I am a worse judge at my feelings!

Just my two cents,

Mary s.

Comment

Mary, mine was the same as yours, it was unrecorded v-tach that they caught on mine because in most cases it's so short you don't even notice it.
          I've also had a holter monitor where I did not have to record anything.
          So they must have a program that searches the tape. I couldn't see some poor person having to sit there and listen to my heart bang away for 48 hours.
          Every great thing that has ever happened since the beginning of time has started as a single thought in someones mind.
          So if you are capable of thought then you are capable of great things
          Good luck and stay well.
          Glen

Comment

the way the one I have works is I have to push a button to record anything. It is about the size of a pager and it saves the recording on a chip. I then have to call a phone #, talk to the technician and then push another button hold the device to the speaking end of a phone and it sends the data over the phone line. It sounds like a modem working, alot of screeching. My problem is what to push the button for, and timing. Sometimes my trigger finger isn't fast enough, and then there are days I would be recording 20 times a day for what might be considered "minor" events. Some days none. I guess I'll just hit the button for everything and then decide whether or not to send it. Will these things differentiate normal beat intensity from hard pounding or just electrical pulses and rhythms? All insights appreciated. Thanks, Steve.

Comment

I have worn these "King of Hearts" monitors repeatedly. You should push the button every time you feel something. The monitor then backs up for 60 seconds or so, and then starts recording from 60 seconds before you pressed the button. Thus, you have some time between feeling the symptom and pressing the button. My personal opinion is that you should push the button every time you feel something. Let the Dr. and technician edit the transmissions. They can see what it is, and you have no idea.

It was one of these monitors that I wore for 45 days or so which caught several episodes of my non-sustained v-tach which led to my ICD. If I had worn it only for even 2 weeks, it wouldn't have gathered enough data. It was the cumulative effect of all events that was meaningful. The only time I didn't send it was if I accidentally pressed the button, or rolled on it while sleeping.

Good luck.
              Daughter of Father with HCM
              Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
              Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
              ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
              Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

Cynaburst - Thanks for your personal experience. I didn't realize this thing had the capability to go back and capture symptoms that occurred before you hit the button. In that case I suppose I'll keep the technicians busy. I know what you mean about hitting the button by accident. Did yours "whistle" when you pushed the button? Mine does. This should be interesting in a subdued business meeting, everyone looking around asking what that noise is. LOL. Enjoy that California sunshine, the east coast is going into the icebox again. Take care, Steve.

Comment

Steve - Mine did whistle, and precisely for the reason that you brought up I asked that it be programmed to be silent when it records. People around me thought that I would die any time when I pressed the button. Also, I wore the monitor during Yom Kippur one year, and I didn't think the praying folks around me would appreciate it. If you have the whistling while recording turned off, it will only beep a couple of times after recording to indicate that it is ready to record again. Ask your doc to change the settings. If you have the directions to the monitor, you can even change that yourself. You need the key that goes with it too to program it. It will still make the noises when you transmit only.

Good luck.
                  Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Steve, Cynaburst, My daughter wore that type of monitor too and it did whistle. She was supposed to push the button when she felt something, but the device also recorded a lot on its own without her pushing the button. I guess it was set up that way.

Reenie
                    Reenie

Husband has HCM.
                    3 kids - ages 23, 21, & 19. All presently clear of HCM.

Comment

Reenie - I guess it can be programmed different ways, but I know that it backs up to record an event after you push the button.

The whistling is really annoying. I was trying to be somewhat circumspect while wearing the monitor, and I really didn't want to explain to anyone what it was and why I had to wear it. That's why I really recommend shutting of the sound. It does the same thing, just does it quieter.
                      Diagnosed with HCM 1999.

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                      X