If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

ECHO translation [large pic]

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

Deedee "family heart murmur" detected in early childhood, HCM diagnosed in 2000, ICD 2010 Find out more about Deedee
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ECHO translation [large pic]

Would anyone be willing to look at this ECHO report and translate any of it into plain English or discuss it with me?

I'm not trying to substitute a talk with a doc, I just wanna discuss it like you were my friends and we were sitting around
    having pizza talking about our tests... is that okay? Just to compare notes, so to speak.

Because I'd love to have you as friends and I really really would share my pizza with you if you were here.

Deedee
    »-(¯`·.·´¯)-> HCMA LOVES YOUR HEART <-(¯`·.·´¯)-«
    Murmur detected in childhood (3rd gen, 3 clear siblings)
    Chronic dyspnea, dizziness & palpitations (21+)
    Echocardiogram showing 3X thicknesses 2000
    Cardiac CT 2009 no significant obstruction or plaque (Yay!)
    Cardiac MRI 2010 showing septal scarring (Boo!)
    Verapamil 280mg a day (metoprolol starved extremities)
    ICD MAR 2010 - Canadian Trials St. Jude FORTIFY

Re: ECHO translation [large pic]

In short.. Ya got HCM

You have a large septum 23mm -it should be about 10mm.
    Your atrium looks good, not enlarged
    The walls of your heart are thick - typical HCM.

You do not have "mass hypertophy" - that is 30mm or greater. Your numbers seem rather normal for HCM.

Does that help-- Hey Pizza sounds good --but I have to think that NJ pizza and your idea of pizza aint the same thing - just some Jersey girl humor for you!

Lisa
    Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
    YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
    lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
    Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
    Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
    Currently not obstructed
    Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Ahhh so that's what the 23 (7-11) means... it should be between 7 and 11, ok now I can understand those are ranges. See I didn't even understand how to read this really, much less what it MEANS.

Any idea what the doppler results say or mean???

Thanks for the info so far, it's not very easy to understand without help and I really do appreciate it so much!

Deedee

Comment

O.K, Correct me if I am wrong Lisa, but I believe that you were not obstructed when this echo was done and when you were resting. That doesn't mean that you don't have a provocable gradient (i.e. with exercise or some other maneuver or drugs), or that you might have a resting gradient some other time, but at the time your echo was done, you had no obstruction.
        Daughter of Father with HCM
        Diagnosed with HCM 1999.
        Full term pregnancy - Son born 11/01
        ICD implanted 2/03; generator replaced 2/2005 and 2/2012
        Myectomy 8/11/06 - Joe Dearani - Mayo Clinic.

Comment

DeeDee,

I'm not sure how familiar you are with the concept of obstruction, but it can be kind of confusing when you're just learning all this. As far as I understand the process, think of your LVOT (Left Ventricular Outflow Tract) as if you were holding your thumb over the end of a garden hose... the more you constrict the opening with your thumb, the faster the water squirts out (LVOT velocity), and the more pressure that builds up behind it (outflow gradient). It is a concern for HCM'ers, because with obstruction, your heart has to work much harder trying to pump the blood through the opening. Your doctor noted that you do not have an obstruction, although it was tested only at rest. You will find that just about every echo you have done shows slightly different measurements, so try not to get hung up on just this one. I kinda wish my own echo looked as good as yours

Jim
          "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Ooooh thanks soooo much! I had no idea what obstruction meant and I guessed something else entirely, it is so great to have people to talk to, wow! I do ask questions at the doctor's but I'm too agitated to remember much of what he says and it's so many things at once. At least here I can tackle one question at a time, it's SO WONDERFUL.

I guess I have just not wanted to pay attention for so many years that I almost made sure I DIDN'T learn anything because that would make it more like it wasn't happening to me.

The last couple of weeks have taught me that something is happening that I don't have the luxury of ignoring anymore I suppose. I know some of my data is pretty light weight... I wish each and every one of you could have all the good numbers I have, I will gladly share those along with the pizza, just c'mon over, and tip the pizza delivery man for me! hehe

Deedee

ps Lisa - I know good pizza, I'm really from New York hehe I just traded a crowded with people island for a crowded with bears, cougars and orca whales one. Same dog-eat-dog world but bigger teeth! hehe

Comment

This is a resting echo - there is no resting gradient from what this says. A stress Echo would be a likely step to see if you have a provocable gradient.
              Lisa

Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
              Currently not obstructed

Comment

Okay I should see my cardiologist this week and I will ask for a stress ECHO or if maybe I should have one and see what he says.

I have continued to have some soreness but have been mostly better after the other day... but strange sudden pressure on my breathing or palpitations while at complete rest have contined so I'm just not feeling very confident even tho nothing "happened" something definately did change as these symptomatic feelings are relatively new and have not really abated.

Thanks for all info! I wonder where I'd be without this group.

Deedee

Comment

The truth is HCM can change in a heart beat - no pun intended -
                  While someone may live a "normal" life for a long time with the diagnosis - one day the symptoms can change and it is unclear as to WHY?
                  Sometimes the tide can turn back and the symptoms revert back to what they had been - other times they can get progressively more intense.
                  Only time can tell.

Be well!

Lisa

Currently not obstructed

Comment

I've been trying to figure out the name of the actress that DeeDee's pic reminds me of and i think i finally figured it out... Jeanne Tripplehorn. Don't ya think?

Comment

Oooh ok I didn't know that symptoms could come and go like that. This is my first real strong set of symptoms and it's been going on for a couple of weeks. So great, it's very encouraging that this is not just a run-away train and that it might even lay low again. Thanks so much for sharing that. The most offhand remarks can mean so much to people, you have no idea. Especially when they've got nobody with HCM around to talk to like me.

I tried so hard to figure out what I had done wrong that brought about all these symptoms all at once like this. The only change I could come up with was always sleeping on my left side lately due to having problems with my stomach if I try to lay on the right side. I just did not really come up with any reason that made good sense, but I tried.

Jim - this is not the "Time To Laugh" forum LOL but I guess I should say thanks as I'd rather remind someone of a starlet than somebody's old cow bessie or something... even tho I never heard of that actress before, had to look it up.

Deedee

Comment

Hey Jim? If you're into distributed computing, like SETI, maybe you'd also be interesting in a similar distributed computing project that looks for clues to cure cancer instead of looking for aliens?

Here's some info on the cancer project:
                        http://www.grid.org/projects/cancer/

Not that aliens found with SETI can't cure diseases... but this is a little more down to earth, hehe

I donated about 32,810 hours of processing time on one of their projects a couple years ago, and it never caused me any problems or slowdowns. Was a sorta neat way to feel I was making a contribution. Thought you might be interested.

Deedee

Comment

Sorry Deedee... it's just little green men for me i'm afraid

One thing i forgot to mention in my post to you about obstruction, is how to figure out what your gradient is... it seems like they rarely write it down on the report. Take your LVOT velocity (in meters/sec)... square it... then multiply that number by four. This will tell you roughly what your gradient is in mmHg.

Using your LVOT velocity of 1.2 m/s... your gradient (at rest) would be 5.76 mmHg.

Jim

Comment

Today's Birthdays

Collapse

Working...
                          X