If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ in HCMA Announcements. You may have to register before you can post: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below. Your Participation in this message board is strictly voluntary. Information and comments on the message board do not necessarily reflect the feelings, opinions, or positions of the Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association. At no time should participants to this board substitute information within for individual medical advice. The Hypertrophic Cardiomyopathy Association shall not be liable for any information provided herein. All participants in this board should conduct themselves in a professional and respectful manner. Failure to do so will result in suspension or termination. The moderators of the message board working with the HCMA will be responsible for notifying participants if they have violated the rules of conduct for the board. Moderators or HCMA staff may edit any post to ensure it conforms with the rules of the board or may delete it. This community is welcoming to all those with HCM we ask that you remember each user comes to the board with information and a point of view that may differ from that which you hold, respect is critical, please post respectfully. Thank you

Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Flu shot

Collapse

About the Author

Collapse

cynthiaG Find out more about cynthiaG
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Flu shot

just curious,

Is it wise for those of us with HCM to get the flu shot?? Just watching my local news and the doctor recommends for those with heart disease, etc. to get one
    \"It is not length of life, but depth of life.\"

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Re: Flu shot

Cynthia

It is very important for us HCMers to get flu shots,

Please go get one
    Shirley
    Diagnosed 2003
    Myectomy 2-23-2004
    Husband: Ken
    Son: John diagnosed 2004
    Daughter: Janet (free of HCM)

Grandchildren: Drew 15,Aaron 13,Karen 9,Connor 9

Comment

Yes... most of us have been told by our cardiologists to get the flu shot, barring any reason (allergy, etc.) that would prevent you from getting the vaccine. I was also reading the other day that this is supposed to be the worst flu season in thirty years, and that one of the three flu strains mutated after the vaccines were prepared, so even with the vaccine, we're not 100% covered. This was my first year to get it, and honestly it made me kinda sick for a day, but i'm not certain now that i should have even gotten the vaccine while i had the whole respiratory infection going on.
      "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

jim

you were right to get the shot and it does usually make you feel sick for a day the first time (i had the same thing), but each year since the first, my symptoms lessened. now, i just get a headache.

shirley --GET THE FLU SHOT!!!!!!!!!!!! Walk quickly to nearest doctor and get the shot.

s

Comment

Sarah i got mine a month ago
          Diagnosed 2003
          Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

thanks, guys. I plan on getting it....Sarah, how are you doing today??

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

sorry, shirley.... i wrote "cynthia" and then thought i was wrong, and peeked back and saw your name, thought i was right in thinking i was wrong and then was wrong anyway. ha.

i'm ok. left side of head still bad, but i think it is low-grade migraine. i'll be better when i'm back home from work today.

Comment

Yes... flu shots should be done!
                Lisa
                Knowledge is power ... Stay informed!
                YOU can make a difference - all you have to do is try!

Dx age 12 current age 46 and counting!
                lost: 5 family members to HCM (SCD, Stroke, CHF)
                Others diagnosed living with HCM (or gene +) include - daughter, niece, nephew, cousin, sister and many many friends!
                Therapy - ICD (implanted 97, 01, 04 and 11, medication
                Currently not obstructed
                Complications - unnecessary pacemaker and stroke (unrelated to each other)

Comment

Geez... did you guys see on the news where they're running out of the flu vaccine? On top of that, it looks to be one of the worst flu seasons in a very long time. If you haven't gotten your flu shot yet... better RUN.
                  "Some days you're the dog... some days you're the hydrant."

Comment

Yes Run

my neighbor got hers a month ago, and she still got the Flu I guess it is one of those new strain that came out after the vaccine was made, she a very dear friend of the family like a mom to me , i'm really worried about her she is 72, so i guess people still need to be careful, and to top it all off i think my husband is getting it, he came home from work not feeling well

Everyone take care
                    Shirley
                    Diagnosed 2003
                    Myectomy 2-23-2004

Comment

getting mine on Monday....

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Got a flu and pneumonia shot yesterday....anyone feel bodyache afterwards? I felt fine up until last night....kind of achy and my arm (the whole muscle in the upper arm still hurts...probably will be better in a day

Ralph Waldo Emerson

Comment

Working...
                        X